PDA

View Full Version : Honda Bose Music System Installation Phase 1

philendrick
04-30-2002, 12:20 PM
For anyone I didn't tell, I got the entire bose system dirt cheap, and I'm installing it into my LX-i. I've completed it all, but I still have yet to get the OEM CD Player to work, and get on that steering wheel control. I also had to repair the tape deck. However, it's in and sounding great. You'll see my temporary CD solution...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/philiphdell/bose%20installation%20glamour/DSCF0002.JPG
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/philiphdell/bose%20installation%20glamour/DSCF0003.JPG
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/philiphdell/bose%20installation%20glamour/DSCF0004.JPG
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/philiphdell/bose%20installation%20glamour/DSCF0006.JPG

There's one thing I'm not sure of, and it's the solid yellow wire from the head unit wiring harness to the amp. It has something to do with the fader, since my fader is the only thing that doesn't work, but can anyone tell me what the heck it does??

EDIT - I found out the yellow was the common - for audio inputs

jclss99
04-30-2002, 02:19 PM
Those covers look tight compared to the normal fuzzy ones =/

I wanna see where the subwoofer unit is placed :) (I'm assuming there is a sub unit anyway) My old roomate's MR2 had one hid somewhere and it worked into the vents I think.

philendrick
04-30-2002, 02:52 PM
I wanna see where the subwoofer unit is placed

In this model there is no sub.. The 6x9s produce a lot of deep bass sound, and the stereo and spacial effects are created by the speaker boxes up front. I may add a small subwoofer. Don't want to mess with the Bose acoustics too much, but would like more bass sometimes (perhaps I'll make a switch for it in the dash); also, I want to be easy on my new 15 year old speakers.. lol. Fortunately, they aren't surrounded by foam, but a more durable material... so they should hold up better than the stock speakers

EDIT - With my new wires, there is a LOT OF BASS

AccordSEi
04-30-2002, 03:03 PM
Hey Phil I looked in the factory manual and it shows the wire diagram for the Bose system, but it does not show what exactly the yellow wire does. It just shows it going from the head unit to the amp. I know the Bose amps were known to go bad. Maybe yours is bad.? I took the Bose system out of my SE-i because the cassette palyer didn't work very well and I wanted an indash cd player. I kept the bose speakers up front but the ones in the rear were in pretty bad shape. I still have the head unit and the amp laying around somewhere. I will see if I can round it up and see if I can find out what that wire does.

offthahook
04-30-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by AccordSEi
Hey Phil I looked in the factory manual and it shows the wire diagram for the Bose system, but it does not show what exactly the yellow wire does. It just shows it going from the head unit to the amp. I know the Bose amps were known to go bad. Maybe yours is bad.? I took the Bose system out of my SE-i because the cassette palyer didn't work very well and I wanted an indash cd player. I kept the bose speakers up front but the ones in the rear were in pretty bad shape. I still have the head unit and the amp laying around somewhere. I will see if I can round it up and see if I can find out what that wire does.
You wanna unload that amp? I got a BOSE head unit, but no amp or speakers. I used to own an se-i and I hope to again. And the BOSE system always craps out! Hit me up! [email protected] Out.

hondaaccord_86
05-02-2002, 10:40 AM
daymn, i want bose speakers... :(

dosh8er
05-10-2002, 06:17 AM
I thought the Yellow wire was an accessory hot (12v)???

catalin
05-12-2002, 08:11 AM
Yes, maybe a remote turn-on turn on lead.

philendrick
05-13-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by catalin
Yes, maybe a remote turn-on turn on lead.

Well thanks to AccordSEi, I now know the yellow wire is a common audio output - !

Thanks! Sounds even better

AccordSEi
05-13-2002, 08:13 PM
Glad I could help!! Did you find the steering wheel controls yet?

offthahook
05-14-2002, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by philendrick

Well thanks to AccordSEi, I now know the yellow wire is a common audio output - !

Thanks! Sounds even better
Glad you found that out!! Let us know when you get the steering wheel switch. I think the 5 PIN connection on the back of your head unit might be the ticket.

AccordSEi
05-14-2002, 06:42 PM
The steering wheel control switch only uses one wire.

AccordSEi
05-14-2002, 06:48 PM
Here is a pic

catalin
05-14-2002, 09:45 PM
Here is a pic

offthahook
05-15-2002, 09:16 PM
Here is a pic
I saw that, too. I'm not great at reading schematics.... Page 25-124 looks like it is a 4 pin connector with only a red wire in it. Is that the case? What is the 5 pin connector for on the back of the head unit; I thought it was the amp, but now I'm confused. Help!

Vanilla Sky
05-16-2002, 03:14 AM
just my reading the schematic, it's the ignition wire that turns it on/allows it to be turned on just wire it up to theheadunit and tap into the matchin wire, that should do the trick

Derick

AccordSEi
05-17-2002, 08:32 PM
I think the 5 pin connector was for the factory cd player, but I,m not sure on that.

philendrick
05-23-2002, 09:21 PM
I've got everything perfect. if anyone has any questions, just email me!

Philip

The round DIN connector is for an EQ or Accessory CD player (Remember you can only use the CD player manf with all the controls. The Blue 5 pin (square) connector next to the factory plug has only one pin that is used. That is for the Remote. The Amp hooks up to where the factory wiring harness goes, and then the amp sends the sound directly to the speakers. When I do some checking to see what I'll need for the remote switch, I'll let you guys know. Remember you have to rewire the factory wiring harness, except for the power leads. If you need a factory wiring harness, I got mine from www.tune-town.com. Also, make sure you use high quality wire. I used regular speaker wire to run to the front speakers, but for the outputs from the head unit to the amp, I got the best stuff I could find for a good price. It's weird because you have 4 positive outputs, and one common ground... Hope all that helps

offthahook
05-24-2002, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by philendrick
I've got everything perfect. if anyone has any questions, just email me!

Philip

The round DIN connector is for an EQ or Accessory CD player (Remember you can only use the CD player manf with all the controls. The Blue 5 pin (square) connector next to the factory plug has only one pin that is used. That is for the Remote. The Amp hooks up to where the factory wiring harness goes, and then the amp sends the sound directly to the speakers. When I do some checking to see what I'll need for the remote switch, I'll let you guys know. Remember you have to rewire the factory wiring harness, except for the power leads. If you need a factory wiring harness, I got mine from www.tune-town.com. Also, make sure you use high quality wire. I used regular speaker wire to run to the front speakers, but for the outputs from the head unit to the amp, I got the best stuff I could find for a good price. It's weird because you have 4 positive outputs, and one common ground... Hope all that helps

Yup yup!! That is TIGHT! Let us know how the steering wheel switch works. I doubt the LX-i has a pre installed wire for the switch to head unit situation. You got the cupholder or a mounting kit for your CD player accessory yet?? :cool:

Sabz5150
05-24-2002, 09:58 AM
The steering wheel remote uses resistance to determine what button was pressed? :huh: Leave it up to Honda to figure out how to make complex things work in a limited space.

As my friend says: "I love Japanese engineers, they look at an idea and say 'Ahhhhh very nice, very nice. We make better!'"

-5150 :bandit:

philendrick
05-24-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by offthahook

Yup yup!! That is TIGHT! Let us know how the steering wheel switch works. I doubt the LX-i has a pre installed wire for the switch to head unit situation. You got the cupholder or a mounting kit for your CD player accessory yet?? :cool:

Yeah, If i'm reading it correctly there's a type of ring harness so you don't have wires going all over the place binding your steering wheel. My guess is I will have to buy that and buy the switch, then run a wire to my factory harness that connects to the ring from the head unit. Should be really easy, and the power should already be there since the other switch is on the wheel. If not, I'll be mad, but I can still do it.

I'm not going to do that until I get the CD player put in. Right now it's at the Honda dealership for repair (DOA), and hopefully then I'll figure a solution for installation. I think if I can't find the install kit, the cup holder should be easy to convert. I'll put the cd player where the cassette holder is on the SE-i console.

Johnny Honda
05-28-2002, 04:34 PM
hey whats up im a new user,thats a tight cover on the door,it looks real clean good luck:bandit: