PDA

View Full Version : The Accord and the Benz CLK320

Stefi-blueLX
05-06-2003, 08:27 PM
I went to get my hair cut on Saturday, and I came across this quote in Motortrend:

"The new Accord is easily Honda's best and its most stylish since the '86-'89 models."

I just thought I'd share :)
Here (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0212_mercaccord/index.html) is the whole article.

And some pics:
http://www.motortrend.com/motor/roadtests/coupe/112_0212_mercaccord02_l.jpg http://www.motortrend.com/motor/roadtests/coupe/112_0212_mercaccord04_l.jpg

Enjoy!

marc49
05-06-2003, 09:16 PM
doesn't the ass end of the accord look like it's a mercedes with an "H" emblem on it? honda blatantly copied another car this time.

cdscowboy
05-06-2003, 11:46 PM
marc - I noticed that the first time I saw the new Accord. However disappointing that it's not an original idea, the car still looks badass...IMO, anyways.

"The new Accord is easily Honda's best and its most stylish since the '86-'89 models."

----FINALLY!!! Someone gives our cars the respect they deserve!!!

Jareds 89 LX-i
05-06-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by cdscowboy
----FINALLY!!! Someone gives our cars the respect they deserve!!!
Hell yea!! :super: That's really cool to hear cuz there's alot of years of Accords between the 3rd gen and 7th gen, and they pick 3rd gen in particular as comparison is really saying something!

I really like the 7th gen coupes, even if they do look like a Benz :)

cdscowboy
05-07-2003, 12:03 AM
I just read the article...as you all should...very much worth your time! It's great to see that a $26,500 Accord beats a $50,000 Benz on the 1/4 mile!! And look at the differences in mpg, too. So what if the Benz has some chrome accents...it ain't no thang;) :lol I'm sure there'll be some killer kits for the Accord in near years to come...I can't wait!

Jareds 89 LX-i
05-07-2003, 12:24 AM
I read through it too...that was great to hear that a Honda Accord beat a Benz in the 1/4 :lol . I think if anything, you're just paying for the name with the Benz, just because it's a "Mercedes", which many see as a fashion statement. From the reading, both did about the same in performance stuff, both are good solid reliable cars, and the Benz just has a few more creature comforts. I don't see though how those few things justify a $24,000 price difference, cuz that's a hell of alot of $$$! If I was car shopping and had to pick between the 2, I sure as hell wouldn't pay that much extra for the little extra you get.

That's what I love about Honda. Can always make an all around excellent product while still keeping the price reasonable :)

cdscowboy
05-07-2003, 12:53 AM
That's what I love about Honda. Can always make an all around excellent product while still keeping the price reasonable

:werd: in total agreement!! :D

AccordEpicenter
05-07-2003, 10:46 AM
i love the new accord. If i was gonna sell my 88 LXI id for another accord itd be an 03 Accord V6 6speed manual...

xbi0s
05-08-2003, 10:57 AM
Uhm.. 2003 Civic Si and Ford Focus Zx3 / SVT -- honda copied ford a lot there too.. interior wise.

Jims 86LXI HB
05-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Ok, their's are whole world of differance between speed (1/4 mile times) and a car's worth to buy and own for the long term. I love the looks of the new accord and how it feels so refined and polished. However, it's all good, untill you take you first corner with any kind of g load. What you get is a totally disconected feeling that was the worst feeling I've ever gotten on any test drive I've ever done on ANY new car period. And BTW, Honda may advertise the Accord coupe V6 6-sp, but good luck finding one to buy, they only plan on making like 4000 of them and when you call the dealer asking for one, they all told me, no have got. What's the point of making the car if their so damn worried that stick shift cars don't sell in the U.S., least they could do is have them at the dealers to even show.

markmdz89hatch
05-09-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
Ok, their's are whole world of differance between speed (1/4 mile times) and a car's worth to buy and own for the long term. I love the looks of the new accord and how it feels so refined and polished. However, it's all good, untill you take you first corner with any kind of g load. What you get is a totally disconected feeling that was the worst feeling I've ever gotten on any test drive I've ever done on ANY new car period. And BTW, Honda may advertise the Accord coupe V6 6-sp, but good luck finding one to buy, they only plan on making like 4000 of them and when you call the dealer asking for one, they all told me, no have got. What's the point of making the car if their so damn worried that stick shift cars don't sell in the U.S., least they could do is have them at the dealers to even show.

Jim, I agree totally with your comments at all levels. The local Honda dealership up here did have a 6spd. but that was in the showroom. When I asked about them, they said they could get one, but there was about a 2-3 week wait once ordered, and you kinda get what they have available. They would just call other dealerships and trade for it. How damn lame is that?

I also agree with you on the "there's more to it then just the 1/4". The CEO in my company drives a CLK 430 Conv. as his daily-driver, and when I had to go to his house to setup a home solution for him, he took me there in the Benz. That was by far one of the most comfortable cars I've ever been in. The interior and refinement of it is certainly another part of what makes that car more expensive then the Honda. I also could not help but notice that despite the noisemaker low pro tires and huge AMG wheels, along with the fact that it was a convertable, and the V-8 under the hood, the cabin was VERY quiet.

I'm not knocking the Honda at all, but the target market, and aim for the two cars is totally different. Let's compare apples to apples and compare the Accord to the Camry's, Maxima's, Millenia's, Mazda 6's, Passat's, and Galants. I guarantee that the Accord will be very near, if not on, the top, but to compare the Accord to a Benz is not a great comparisson at all, and proves nothing, IMHO.

The Accord they used for the comparrison was the absolute top of the line for the Accords offered in the states. The Benz they used was the "poor mans CLK", the dead ass bottom of the barrel CLK. That little measly V6 in the Benz was not made to push that chasis around. Reach a little further down in the pocket and snag that 430, or even the AMG 55 and you've got youself a luxury rocket ship.

HondaBoy
05-09-2003, 09:55 PM
did u notice that the Honda has 2 realy nice exhaust tips and the Mercedes-Benz has one that isnt as nice? ill take the Accord over the Benz. its cheaper, probley better built, and has traction control just like the Benz at a cheaper price.

wikkedv15
05-09-2003, 10:05 PM
hahahahha..
LOL IM WITH YA HONDABOY..
choosing a car over another car bcuz of a nicer exhaust setup!
LOL
hehehee
jk

Jims 86LXI HB
05-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by HondaBoy
did u notice that the Honda has 2 realy nice exhaust tips and the Mercedes-Benz has one that isnt as nice? ill take the Accord over the Benz. its cheaper, probley better built, and has traction control just like the Benz at a cheaper price.

Of course it's cheaper, but the minute you turn the steering wheel in the 2003 accord it'll become painfully clear where they didn't spend their money. I'm not talking about a little bitty thing, I'm talking about, a deal killing thing. Well I guess if it's driven like a grandma you'd never know, but who does that. Sad, the rest of the car is extreamly impressive. I will say that I thougt the Benz's interior was a joke, accord kills it in that respect. I'm wonder which company has higher quality ratings with JD power.

1988starter
05-11-2003, 12:26 PM
3geez all the way

Stefi-blueLX
05-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Glad ya'll liked the article :) I completey agree about the design NOT being an original. When I first saw the new Accord I thought it was an Altima! All car seem to look the same nowadays....

Are any of the new Accords produced in Japan? I took a look at some of those new Accords and EVERY vintage number began with a 1, which = the U. S. right? The only cars I saw with the vintage # beginning with a "J"(Japan) were the Civic Si's. I don't know, it's kind of disappointing. :( I feel like Honda is more domestic now. :(

Who designed the vechicle anyway?

Jims 86LXI HB
05-13-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Stefi-blueLX
Glad ya'll liked the article :) I completey agree about the design NOT being an original. When I first saw the new Accord I thought it was an Altima! All car seem to look the same nowadays....

Are any of the new Accords produced in Japan? I took a look at some of those new Accords and EVERY vintage number began with a 1, which = the U. S. right? The only cars I saw with the vintage # beginning with a "J"(Japan) were the Civic Si's. I don't know, it's kind of disappointing. :( I feel like Honda is more domestic now. :(

Who designed the vechicle anyway?

Since the 1998 6th gen, all accords for the U.S. market are produced in the U.S., only for the U.S. market only. That's why the Acura TSX is actually the european accord, produced in japan. It's my understanding that the accords produced here are so much wider that they would acutally get placed in a high tax bracket if you tried to buy one in japan, hence the reason our's stay here. Japan's government tax's cars based on width and length.

Current Civic SI's, starting with the current car in showrooms now, are made in england only, weird isn't it.

Intersting thing about you saying you feel like honda is more domestic now. It's acutally good for sales for people to feel that way. Toyota is known for being the most "domestic" of the Japaneese brands. Look at the sales position of the camry.