PDA

View Full Version : Start Button a'la S2000 (With how-to)

Sabz5150
05-07-2003, 09:34 AM
Finally got that thing installed, wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I've made the obligatory how-to, and hereya go:

Installing an 'Engine Start' button.

Items you'll need:

3G Accord
High current relay
Pushbutton for starter
8 gauge wire
18 guage wire
Phillips screwdriver
Assorted crimp terminals for easier installation

As always, disconnect your negative battery terminal, because these wires you'll be cutting are live.

1. Remove the lower cover under your driver's side dashboard. Remove the two steering column covers.

2. Locate the wire bundle connected to your ignition switch, and follow it down away from the ignition (This makes it easier to wire in and place the relay)

3. Cut through the wire bundle sleeve (making sure not to cut any of the wires. Locate the black wire with white stripe and the white wire with black stripe.

Now, depending on how you want your button to work you'll be taking a different approach to this. This how-to focuses on installing the button while leaving the ignition key start intact.

4. Remove about three quarters of an inch of insulation off these two wires, but do not cut them. What you'll need to do next is strip back the insulation on two sections of 8ga wire and wrap them around the exposed sections of wire in the ignition bundle. Secure them with tight wrapped electrical tape. These will be the switch side terminals of your relay. You can connect these now if you like.

5. Locate a +12 accessory lead (one that only comes on when the key is in the ignition. This can be the ACC line to your stereo, which is EASY to find). Using the 18ga wire, run a lead from this point to one of the magnet side terminals of your relay. After that, run a lead from the other magnet side terminal of the relay to one terminal on your switch. Where you install this switch is your choice. From there, run a lead from the other terminal on your switch to ground.

6. Reconnect your negative battery cable. Turn your key to ON and push the button. If everything works properly, you'll know it. If not, recheck your connections and try again.

I've made an illustration to go along with the howto (No poking fun at my leet Paint skillz :p )

wikkedv15
05-07-2003, 10:17 AM
any pics would be nice.. lol
not trying to be pushy but it would better show ..what u mean..

Sabz5150
05-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by wikkedv15
any pics would be nice.. lol
not trying to be pushy but it would better show ..what u mean..

I'll post some actual pics tomorrow. I just got the car back in one piece (mostly) and I really don't wanna rip it all apart again :tongue:

89NinjaAccordLX
05-07-2003, 12:15 PM
So simple... and so spiffy.

blazin3gen
05-07-2003, 12:32 PM
so what happens when they jack your car :lol

Sabz5150
05-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by blazin2gen
so what happens when they jack your car :lol

The installation I did only allows the starter button to work when the key is at the ON position. Even if you were to cross the ignition wires, the fuel pump won't send any gas to the car (I've tried this)

Grant2k
05-07-2003, 06:16 PM
that's pretty cool, maybe i'll make it something to try over the summer. it would be cool to have. you could leave your keys in the ignition and your car wouldn't get stolen because nobody would be able to figure out how to start it!

crwa
05-07-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Grant2k
that's pretty cool, maybe i'll make it something to try over the summer. it would be cool to have. you could leave your keys in the ignition and your car wouldn't get stolen because nobody would be able to figure out how to start it!

I'm gonna remember this, and come steal your car when you get one...jk

Honestly if you leave your keys in the car, dude, people know about push button starters and its not like its gonna be totally hidden behind somethin cuz you have to get to it, so it will be in the open and chances are someone would look in the car, see the button, see the keys and your car is gone... I bet someone has done it, cuz some people are stupid enought to leave the keys...

Grant2k
05-07-2003, 08:40 PM
dude, i was kidding. if you leave your keys in the ignition like that you deserve to have your car stolen. although i admit i've done it in my driveway.

ShawnS
05-07-2003, 09:32 PM
totally cool idea.
did you get an actual button from an s2000?

Sabz5150
05-08-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by ShawnS
totally cool idea.
did you get an actual button from an s2000?

I wanted to use an S2000 button, but Honda wanted no less than 63 dollars and it was special order. So I wound up getting one of those "Type R" button kits, it has the relay, switch and all wires needed for installation. No obnoxious 'performance' labels on it either.

Installing an actual S2000 button will probably be similar to this.

blazin3gen
05-08-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Sabz5150
The installation I did only allows the starter button to work when the key is at the ON position. Even if you were to cross the ignition wires, the fuel pump won't send any gas to the car (I've tried this)

Brilliant :super:

i.c.
05-08-2003, 12:45 PM
sounds cool, i saw that type r push button ad in import tuner today....it'll be cool to see pics soon

Grant2k
05-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by blazin2gen
Brilliant :super:
that's how real push button starters work today anway. they all still have keyes.

crwa
05-08-2003, 01:08 PM
Cool, I think I'm gonna get mine installed next weekend... so did th kit come with different colored buttons, i say one on ebay and it came with red,blue, and clear buttons for the starter.

So can you still start the car with the ket, by turning it like normal, or is that option gone now???

Morbid Intentionz
09-09-2003, 10:24 AM
I know what your sayin to yourself old....thread.. But why couldnt you just connect a toggle switch to the 2 wires and do it like that instead of the relay bein there?

NXRacer
09-09-2003, 10:28 AM
WHOAH DUDE. whats up with your sig? Deffinately against the rules

(i'm guessing you didnt make it look like that on purpose!)

Coitis1
09-09-2003, 10:43 AM
too bad pics were never posted, i was really wanting to see how that looked in the 3g. And like someone else asked, if u install the kit, can u still start the car the old way, by turning the key?

Morbid Intentionz
09-09-2003, 10:44 AM
i dont know how it did that but its gone

Grant2k
09-09-2003, 10:46 AM
that's how real push button starters work today anway. they all still have keyes.
since this thread is back i see i sort of made an error. i should have said passanger cars have keyes. race cars don't i guess.

StUpiD8000
09-09-2003, 12:57 PM
I wont the setup that was in a movie... You know that BMW, he was a "driver for hire" somewhat new movie He had a keypad he had to type in a code and the car would start

I got it the transporter (http://www.transportermovie.com/home.html)

Morbid Intentionz
09-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Ok i figured out why you cant just hook up a switch.so where can i pick up a relay..auto zone....advance auto or napa?

Morbid Intentionz
09-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Is this what i would need for the push button mod?...............link>relay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3045424587&category=14934)

Morbid Intentionz
09-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Anyone...........

3G Jester
09-09-2003, 07:59 PM
dude, i was kidding. if you leave your keys in the ignition like that you deserve to have your car stolen. although i admit i've done it in my driveway.

you know you wernt kidding dumbass :P :stupid: :lol

Morbid Intentionz
09-11-2003, 03:10 PM
Alright.......i did it! I grabbed a relay out of a buick of my buddies...and im waitin on a push button. I got a toggle switch right now

jb2wheels
09-11-2003, 06:35 PM
Do people really steal 3gs? I guess I'll keep parking next to the S2000s and Boxters and such at work.

Grant2k
09-11-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by jb2wheels
Do people really steal 3gs?
search for it and see how many on just this site have been stolen or robbed.

Morbid Intentionz
09-13-2003, 07:09 AM
got the push button.its goin on today

Magny
09-13-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by jb2wheels
Do people really steal 3gs?

Umm...............I got robbed, does that count???
:rant::mad::rant:
Damn guys took my Mobile Authority A1000 AMP, and my 2 brand new Polk 10" (the ones with the metal cone lookin like CF) only had these for 3 days. They even took the old ones that I put inside the polk boxes. (:sadwave::crying::( I will miss them) They were hella pounding when I had them, now nothing but my American Legacy Series 2 AMP that I got back from the shop after blowin the internals. (thank god for warranties :lol )

Guess its time to start over...........getting my interior redone first before I put anything in it again. Putting in the wiring first so it will be there when I am done. (lol kinda like building a house, put the frame, then wires, then close it up :lol )

BTW right now I only have a relay switch (kinda acting as a kill switch), but I am gonna have that in junction with the push button, soon. Its a better set-up IMO.

Morbid Intentionz
09-17-2003, 08:55 AM
Ok got pics..any1 care to post for me?

Sabz5150
09-18-2003, 03:09 AM
Wow, this thread came back from the dead :tongue: Anyway, since everyone wanted a pic (and apparently I was off doing something else and didn't notice), hereya go :)

Sabz5150
09-18-2003, 03:10 AM
YES, my car is currently dirty... gotta clean it up soon. :armorall:

Grant2k
09-18-2003, 05:08 AM
the start buttun looks tight.

armorall doesn't clean it protects and will ruin placitc and rubber over time.

Morbid Intentionz
09-18-2003, 09:41 AM
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/423000-423999/423014_1.jpg

Do you think they wont push it if it says trunk release? Lol
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/423000-423999/423014_2.jpg

Magny
09-18-2003, 10:41 AM
lol its a good deterent system there, they wouldn't even think to push the trunk release, exept if they are goin for stereo equipment. so you better hope you have a loud ass car with a straight through muffler when that car starts, and wake the whole neighborhood when they are dumb enough to push it :lol

but yeah if they are goin for the car itself, they really wouldn't know if thats the button to push. Good goin, and smart too lol

Grant2k
09-18-2003, 01:21 PM
what old GM gave that up from it's glovebox for your car? hahha

Morbid Intentionz
09-18-2003, 01:59 PM
a lincoln..........they r good for somethin

Morbid Intentionz
09-18-2003, 02:04 PM
Dont matter if they press it its on a relay. So it wont start without the key and i got rid of my subs and amp..got them rims off bambamky brought em back up here. and traded em for a brand new comp and a system all sittin in my house.The only thing they will get is a stroller..lol Heard those are goin for alot these days

Grant2k
09-18-2003, 06:56 PM
i guess i was wrong. my mom's oldsmobile had a very similar button to pop the trunk.

al010101
09-19-2003, 06:50 PM
i wired mine to the power antenna switch(who the hell needs a manual power antenna?).... no one would think to use that...they won't steal my car AGAIN! i plan to setup some switch's that have to be setup in a certain pattern too...like a ket combination, enclose the back of it in a sheetmetal setup and route like 20+ wires out of it ,so they don't know which are which.... i get bored, and it angers me when ppl steal my cars.....

Morbid Intentionz
09-19-2003, 07:23 PM
When you do that take pictures.......i would like to see the outcome

jagojon3
09-23-2003, 04:08 PM
I know this may sound stupid, but can somebody tell me why you can't just hook up a switch directly? I would just like to know the purpose of the relay!

Morbid Intentionz
09-23-2003, 07:40 PM
If you hook up a switch directly then anyone can get into your car and push the button and go.. If you hook up a relay to a 12v acc it will only let you start the car when the key is in the second position

Sabz5150
09-24-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by jagojon3
I know this may sound stupid, but can somebody tell me why you can't just hook up a switch directly? I would just like to know the purpose of the relay!

It takes a LOT of current to spin that starter. Putting that much through a tiny switch will fry it and/or cause a fire.

rally88lxi
11-05-2004, 06:38 PM
It takes a LOT of current to spin that starter. Putting that much through a tiny switch will fry it and/or cause a fire.
is that the only reason, is this also the reason for using it on audio equipment, or are there other reasons too. i know nothing except how a relay works, i would like to know why we would use it.

Ludi Mali
11-05-2004, 07:02 PM
i had an old mazda rx2 that i lost the key for, so i rigged a flip switch to jump the ignition switch, that i hid under the back of the passenger seat, and then had a pushbutton to kick the starter, and then i just left the doors unlocked all the time. it was a piece of junk that i got for 100 so it didn't matter if it got stolen.

TheSummoner101
11-06-2004, 05:28 PM
thats pretty cool :D

actually...some mercedes benz cars (sl 500 i think) come with a little credit card type key...they say if you have that inside the car you can start the car with a push of a button. you dont have to put any key in ignitoin to "on" position, as long as the card is inside the vehicle it will start...so my advice to those people, never leave that sh!t in the car :P

is that the only reason, is this also the reason for using it on audio equipment, or are there other reasons too. i know nothing except how a relay works, i would like to know why we would use it.
what a relay does is it keeps large amounts of current needed for high powered electronics to stay under the hood where it belongs and not in the dash panel where some1 can get hurt by it.

for example: the light swich controls the high/low beams...those need about 30A of current or so (i think) and if u pass that much current throug a swich, a) it may fry/cause fire (like some1 said) b) get throught the switch and shock the user. so the relay makes it possible for those swiches to run on less the one amp of current, which wouldn't harm a person.

i think there is a magnet that "cloeses" the swich for a large amount of current to pass when a small amout of current trigers it on. the small current turns the magnet on to make contact. some1 correct me if im worng on this.

od2681
11-06-2004, 07:20 PM
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/423000-423999/423014_1.jpg

Do you think they wont push it if it says trunk release? Lol
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/423000-423999/423014_2.jpg

looks like the change view button on arcade games...haha
cool though

od2681
11-06-2004, 07:23 PM
you know what would look cool...like hte toggle switch type starter....like in the old ass planes...

TheSummoner101
11-06-2004, 11:03 PM
you know what would look cool...like hte toggle switch type starter....like in the old ass planes...
u can prolly find em in the mini coopers, think they have some in there, but they be expensive :P and not too sure if it be possible to do, cuz the ignition swich just needs to spark and turn off, so you'd have to manually toggle the switch or something :sad2:

rally88lxi
11-07-2004, 07:08 AM
you can find momentary toggle switches at radioshack. Momentary means they don't stay on, they just send a spark. I know radioshack has them cuz i work there :dunno:

od2681
11-07-2004, 09:55 AM
you can find momentary toggle switches at radioshack. Momentary means they don't stay on, they just send a spark. I know radioshack has them cuz i work there :dunno:
yeah thats what i meant..the ones that go back to off position...

3gn86lxi
11-07-2004, 11:43 PM
Hmmmmmm. e-bay.......like 20 bucks........S2000.......me likes the idea!!!!

JFreddy
11-21-2004, 12:43 AM
I got a push button start in my car, it worked on the first try thanks to the great instructions that were given on this site!! Its great, because it makes a lot of people that don't kno too much go oooooooo! thats tight! lol Anyways just wanted to say that its great, adn the instructions were incredible! even a newb like me did it on the first try.

POS carb
11-23-2004, 01:21 PM
a little FYI

I used a doorbell button, it lights up! :D