PDA

View Full Version : Krylon Fusion

HostileJava
05-08-2003, 08:26 AM
Has anyone used Krylon's new fusion paint for any interior or exterior painting of they're car? I was thinking about using the dark blue to paint my molding but hadn't read anything about how it would bond to that. What do you guys think? I'm propably going to do it, unless anyone has any horror stories.

Nate2310
05-08-2003, 08:32 AM
is it that plastic paint? i used some green to do my interior

HostileJava
05-08-2003, 08:34 AM
From what I understand it's like vinyl die but in a multitude of colors.

meohmy01
05-08-2003, 09:33 AM
no it's suppose to be some paint specially formulated to bonde to plastic on a molecular level with no drips. i just saw the commercial and was wondering the same thing.

HostileJava
05-10-2003, 08:52 AM
I thought that's how Vinyl die worked. Since it's a die and not a paint it's something that bonds with the plastic, not just coats the plastic.

theBeline
05-11-2003, 04:51 PM
either way it'll probably do a knock up job of bonding to vinyl as well, sounds like an idea to me, I'm gona check it out.

meohmy01
05-11-2003, 05:32 PM
i looked for it in k mart but couldn't find it. off to walmart i go.

HostileJava
05-12-2003, 05:44 AM
Well, I stopped at Walmart this weekend, but they didn't have the Blue in stock so I guess I'll have to find another place to get it or wait for it to come in. It's just as well since it was rainy all weekend here.

Nate2310
05-12-2003, 08:22 AM
Yeah that is exactly what I used to paint the top part of my dash a few minor things and stuff on my doors green

meohmy01
05-12-2003, 11:15 AM
i don't really want to do to much to my interior untill i have the money to order the new leather seats. the stock leather is so dry and has a small rip in it. i just had 2 seams on the drivers fixed because they split.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-12-2003, 11:39 AM
Alright does this fusion stuff come in black? And how much is it?

HostileJava
05-12-2003, 12:14 PM
I does come in black, but if your looking for black you might as well just use vinyl die that you buy at the autoparts store. I think it's like 2 or 3 bux a can.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-13-2003, 11:09 AM
Well I do need it for the plastic pieces and stuff. What do you have to do to prep for using that fusion stuff? What's reccomended for it?

HostileJava
05-13-2003, 11:22 AM
I would imagine you just need to make sure whatever you paint is clean and and that it's not humid or really hot/cold when you do it. I would also apply a clear coat of paint after using the fusion.

89LX4-Dr
05-14-2003, 06:05 AM
If I use interior dressing to clean the interior, will Krylon Fusion pull the paint off?

HostileJava
05-14-2003, 06:14 AM
I'm not exactly clear on what you mean, but I don't think the Fusion will take any paint off.

HostileJava
05-17-2003, 11:51 AM
Has anyone been able to find this? I found it at one of the walmart in my area but not in blue and the other's don't have any anymore.

Nate2310
05-17-2003, 03:19 PM
autozone

bambamky
05-17-2003, 04:29 PM
try your auto parts store!

HostileJava
05-17-2003, 08:43 PM
I think I may have found an ACE hardware that carries it, I'll have to go pick some up tommorrow and hopefully I'll have time to try it out.

gman
05-18-2003, 06:48 AM
So what can you us on the dash board I got confused .

HostileJava
05-20-2003, 11:10 AM
I did the rear bumper and most of the right side molding this Sunday. The rear came out beautiful with just a cleaning and 2 or 3 coats. However the side didn't really want to stick. I'm going to have to sand the side molding down again (maybe it's a different material?) and respray it when I get some free time. The blue I used was a lot brighter then I thought it was going to be, I'll post pics as soon as I get some time.

HostileJava
05-20-2003, 01:46 PM
Check them out. (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18300)

89AccordLvr
05-21-2003, 01:44 PM
is it just called krylon fusion or does it have another name or brand? I want to do my interior so for the smooth plastic do i have to use primer or does this supposed to stick to every type of plastic

HostileJava
05-21-2003, 04:50 PM
The stuff that Krylon makes is called Fusion, there are other vinyl dies you can use but they usually come on colors like grey, brown, tan, black, etc. I would clean the surface and sand it very lightly even if the can says that you don't need do sand.

iloveJDMblackrims69
05-22-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by 89LX4-Dr
If I use interior dressing to clean the interior, will Krylon Fusion pull the paint off?

HES SAYING THAT IF HE USES LIKE ARMOR-ALL IN HIS INTERIOR AND HE PUTS SOME OVER THE KRYLON FUSION.....WILL IT TAKE IT OFF??

Iwishiwasfast
07-22-2003, 07:47 AM
hey i wanna do the interior of my car.and spice it up a bit
i want to spray paint the vents but im afraid to take them out. and i dont have any money.i have red. silver, gold and black

HostileJava
07-22-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by iloveJDMblackrims69
HES SAYING THAT IF HE USES LIKE ARMOR-ALL IN HIS INTERIOR AND HE PUTS SOME OVER THE KRYLON FUSION.....WILL IT TAKE IT OFF??

No, this stuff is chemically bonded to the plastic.

Justin86
07-22-2003, 10:34 AM
It is there to stay. What color are you using to paint the interior. My car is laurel blue too so I want to know if you are real happy with the color. I want do paint my interior a little darker then the stock color with a gloss look.

estcstdstrcton63
08-02-2003, 11:36 AM
as for using the krylon fusion paint for your interior i have recently been redoing my interior with it and i think it works well especially on the hard plastic trim around the doors and all it works great it wont chip or nothing like that as for my door panels though i have the leather interior and its not working all to well on that for some reason it just doenst wont to seem to dry on the upper part of my door panels it just stays tacky its not really a big problem but its just a mental nusiance knowing it isnt dry as for where to get it i got mine at walmart and i think it was like 3.99 a can so it can get quite pricey to redo the entire interior i think i have spent liek 150 on just paint already and i still have my dash and and 2 door panels to go as far as cleaning u can use armor all on it i have had no problems with it eating the paint away or nothing as far as going about cleaning before u paint it i just used a scrub brush and some dish soap and then i rubbed it all down with rubbing alcohal before i painted it and it came out decent hope that helped you guys if u have any more questions post them and ill try to answer them

i.c.
08-03-2003, 05:32 AM
what is the 3gee dash made of? i'd like to redo my dash in black..

i.c.
08-03-2003, 03:51 PM
i just bought two cans to redo my trim(see cardomain site)

89 Accords Rock
09-18-2003, 07:49 AM
Krylon fusion works well. found at canadian tire. It works best if you let it cool in a dry cold place. I made the mistake of doing it on a hot day and now my things are still tacky 3 months later So MAKE SURE ITS COOL WHERE YOU LET IT DRY

HostileJava
09-18-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by 89 Accords Rock
Krylon fusion works well. found at canadian tire. It works best if you let it cool in a dry cold place. I made the mistake of doing it on a hot day and now my things are still tacky 3 months later So MAKE SURE ITS COOL WHERE YOU LET IT DRY

Shit, talk about digging up old threads, I've long since bought and used this on most of my trim inside and out.

danronian
09-18-2003, 08:42 AM
Hey HostileJava, how about some pix of all the trim painted. I dont remember seeing the picture.

HostileJava
09-18-2003, 09:20 AM
http://www.3geez.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=134690&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Check out the threads in that search that were started by me.

http://www.langamesnw.com/chuggs_stuff/ars/Search%2520Function.jpg

Justin86
09-18-2003, 09:29 AM
Hey Hostile did you have any trouble painted some parts. The krylon fusion reamains tacky on the e-brake handle and the vinal parts, dash, arm rest on doors, etc.

HostileJava
09-18-2003, 09:45 AM
Nope, I've found the best way to apply this stuff is in light coats, I'll spray a very light coat, count to 30, spray another light coat, count to 30, spray another light coat, count to 30, etc. Depending on the color your trying to cover up, You could spary up to probably 20-30 coats. Then let it dry 24hours (will be dry to the touch in about 15 min). I then hit it with 2 coats of clear coat. Note: that's not how I did is the first time, but this method seems to pruduce the best most reliable results.

Justin86
09-18-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by HostileJava
Nope, I've found the best way to apply this stuff is in light coats, I'll spray a very light coat, count to 30, spray another light coat, count to 30, spray another light coat, count to 30, etc. Depending on the color your trying to cover up, You could spary up to probably 20-30 coats. Then let it dry 24hours (will be dry to the touch in about 15 min). I then hit it with 2 coats of clear coat. Note: that's not how I did is the first time, but this method seems to pruduce the best most reliable results.
What about the vinal peices or did you not paint them. Even after I put a clear coat on the vinal parts it is still tacky.

HostileJava
09-18-2003, 01:39 PM
I painted some of the vinyl peices and had no problems, I can't stress how important it is to put very light coats on and then let it dry a little before you put the next coat on. Make one pass per 6 inches and then let it dry for 30 seconds. I usually count to 30 while shaking the can to make sure it stay's well mixed.

wprocomp
09-18-2003, 01:52 PM
once you paint your parts you cannot put any kind of armor-all agent on it....this will eventually lead to cracking and dulling....all those agents eventually seep into the surface they are rubbed onto and thus this will lift the paint from the surface...if you want to make it shine you can use wax...like that wax as u dry stuff...it wont eat away at it...

HostileJava
09-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by wprocomp
once you paint your parts you cannot put any kind of armor-all agent on it....this will eventually lead to cracking and dulling....all those agents eventually seep into the surface they are rubbed onto and thus this will lift the paint from the surface...if you want to make it shine you can use wax...like that wax as u dry stuff...it wont eat away at it...

:werd:

wprocomp
09-18-2003, 02:04 PM
:flip: man trust me hostile it will eventually happen...when I did that to my olds cutlass I bought all new interior trim for it and painted it to match(yes I cleaned it very well)and I didnt think anything of it at the time...so I used some protectant on it and 3 months later it started to crack and peel at places...dont make me use the typer man:D

btw:I still need to send you money for some stickers dont I...doh!

Justin86
09-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Well shit. I like using those Armor All wipes a lot.

i.c.
09-18-2003, 03:03 PM
i redid my outside trim with krylon...it came out nice....but i already have fading on my front bumper...:( i don't know why either...i'm thinking of getting higher trim level bumpers though...

danronian
09-18-2003, 04:04 PM
I have been using protectants on my chevelle's interior for almost 3 years now and it was all painted plastic, even the dash.

MrBen
09-18-2003, 04:09 PM
I use armor all on my painted console and it has not done a thing to it in the past year.

danronian
09-18-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by HostileJava
http://www.3geez.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=134690&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Check out the threads in that search that were started by me.

http://www.langamesnw.com/chuggs_stuff/ars/Search%2520Function.jpg

Well I would have searched but you can't search by member name, and the pics aren't of all the plastic painted. So I guess your answer would be a no. The only one that is close is the NJ meet pic but the front bumper isn't painted.:flipa:

HostileJava
09-19-2003, 06:18 AM
If you look at thread starter on that link I posted, just using the word fusion and searching in Accord Pictures it came up with these threads:

Picture's of Krylon Fusion on my Bumper

White Face Gauges and More Fusion.

Krylon Fusion on Interior

At least that's what I see.

Vinny
09-19-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by danronian
Well I would have searched but you can't search by member name, and the pics aren't of all the plastic painted. So I guess your answer would be a no. The only one that is close is the NJ meet pic but the front bumper isn't painted.:flipa:

You can't????? wow I always just goto the homepage, then click the search button off to the right under the members button, then type in what your lookin for AND user name and low and behold IT WORKS OMGGGGGGG every thread with that name in it that a specific user has replies to:lol Just messin with ya, but ya can search by members name

danronian
09-19-2003, 08:21 PM
Well I guess I learn something everyday.... including I'm an idiot, thanks vinny.

Justin86
09-21-2003, 06:28 PM
If I put on a clear coat on everything wouldn't that help protect from armor all???

danronian
09-22-2003, 04:54 AM
I really wouldn't worry about it. I know alot of the plastic interior parts on all of the cars in my family came painted from the factory and I have never seen armor all take off the paint, that is unless you act like your rubbing out a scratch with it. But if you just apply it and don't put all you strength into rubbing it on, the paint will last just fine.

Justin86
09-22-2003, 06:23 AM
I really wouldn't worry about it. I know alot of the plastic interior parts on all of the cars in my family came painted from the factory and I have never seen armor all take off the paint, that is unless you act like your rubbing out a scratch with it. But if you just apply it and don't put all you strength into rubbing it on, the paint will last just fine.
Well I will just have to give it try and see how it works over time.

Vinny
09-22-2003, 06:27 AM
Well I guess I learn something everyday.... including I'm an idiot, thanks vinny.

C'mon Dan I was just messin with ya, didn't mean to imply you were an idiot so I hope ya didn't take it that way

danronian
09-22-2003, 07:21 AM
I knew you were kidding. I felt like an idiot b/c I never knew I could search by member name, thats all.

xdeathx
09-28-2003, 01:25 PM
I used the red Krylon fusion on my interior parts

Justin86
09-28-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by xdeathx
I used the red Krylon fusion on my interior parts
How did it turn out?

xdeathx
09-29-2003, 06:18 PM
pretty good, other than the drivers side arm rest because im kinda really tall and lanky so my thighs rubbed and against them and the painted kinda smear but not horribly, ya it looks slick on the rest of my parts

drknow
09-30-2003, 03:59 AM
Armor all does NOT affect krylon. Krylon bonds itself to the plastic.

danronian
09-30-2003, 08:24 AM
All plastic paints claim that and even after much prep and sanding I have seen it flake. What makes any paint actually "bond" is the effort you put into doing the prep work.

Justin86
09-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Sweet. I my insulating just got here 5 mins ago so I can finally start putting some of my interior back together and finishing painting the front half. :)