PDA

View Full Version : Help Air fuel gauge

Darkside
05-08-2003, 09:18 AM
I was wondering if anyone had installed an auto meter air fuel gauge. And if they could tell me how. I plan on using my stock oxygen sensor. Any help would be great. Thanks Darkside
P.S. I did do a search but no results?!?!?!

A20A1
05-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Purple wire goes to O2 sensor... Red wire is on-with-ignition, black wire is ground.

do not splice into the O2 sensor wire... you need to connect the O2 wire directly to the purple guage wire and nothing else.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Do a search b/c someone posted a pic of a easy place for the positive wire. (near the fuse box under the dash) There's like 3 little slots that you can plug into for acessories.

A20A1
05-08-2003, 03:12 PM
really? shit I've been looking for an accessory hook up.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-08-2003, 03:32 PM
I'll try and find the pic.

2old_honda
05-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
Do a search b/c someone posted a pic of a easy place for the positive wire. (near the fuse box under the dash) There's like 3 little slots that you can plug into for acessories.
that was me. those pics are off of that server, they wont work. I will take some new pics of it and post them up later.

Darkside
05-09-2003, 02:46 PM
sweet thanks

Mike's89AccordLX
05-09-2003, 02:58 PM
2old_honda is da man! Those pics helped me out so much.

2old_honda
05-09-2003, 07:29 PM
Sorry these pics suck, It is really hard to get a good pic under the dashboard.

for the power-
our cars have a +12v switched power tap built into the fuse box. you just need to put a female spade connector on the tap and you are done. here is a picture of where to locate the tap.
http://www.squeezer.net/upload/Hpim0346.jpg

http://www.squeezer.net/upload/Hpim0368.jpg

the tap is labled on the fuse box 1 2 3 right above each connector. you should use connector 1 (the one on the left) or 2 (middle)
http://www.squeezer.net/upload/Hpim0361.jpg

All you have to do is plug one of these spade connectors into the little metal part.
http://www.squeezer.net/upload/Hpim0374.jpg

You will still need a inline fuse. This is a switched tap, so the gauge will come on/off when you turn the car on/off. You can still put a switch in line so you can turn the gauge on/off but it will only work when the key is turned.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-09-2003, 07:32 PM
I know the pic that helped me out the most was a paintshop pic you drew. I don't know if you still have that or not. It had like all the fuse connectors and then the 3 accessory taps.

Oh and when you find it then you will need your rubber arm to get a female connector into one of the slots. Took me a little bit b/c I'm a big guy.

2old_honda
05-09-2003, 07:35 PM
I know the pic that helped me out the most was a paintshop pic you drew. I don't know if you still have that or not. It had like all the fuse connectors and then the 3 accessory taps.

I will try to find that. I didnt have any actual pics when I told you about this, just those drawings. These pics suck so bad that the drawings might be better.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-09-2003, 07:37 PM
When you drew those I knew the exact spot I had to find. They were very good for drawings and they helped me out b/c if I didn't have those my a/f gauge still wouldn't be working.

2old_honda
05-09-2003, 07:40 PM
here is the drawing

http://www.globalanarchy.net/upload/uploads/tappwr.jpg

wikkedv15
05-09-2003, 07:56 PM
ok im confused on only one thing
when u say connect the purple wire to the o2 wire and nothing else..
well how exactly do u connect the o2 wire to the purple wire and nothinge else doesnt the o2 wire have somewhere to go ..
lol i know stupid question but i gotta get this straight

Mike's89AccordLX
05-09-2003, 07:59 PM
Alright you have to cut the O2 wire and you only use the wire going from the a/f gauge to the O2 sensor. And then you just wrap that other end of the O2 wire you cut in electrical tape. The O2 wire goes to the O2 sensor mounted in the header.

A20A1
05-09-2003, 10:37 PM
I love you man...

:lol

ACCORD EX
05-10-2003, 10:11 AM
hey guys are the power taps 12 V with car off , acc , ignition ??and each one of them is 12 V ?

Mike's89AccordLX
05-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Um I'm not sure if I understood that correctly, but here goes nothing. The power taps will only work when the key is turned to the on position (so you don't kill your battery) And yes each of them is 12V. They are extremely convienient b/c you won't have to run wires to the battery anymore. Oh you want to have a fuse on that power wire too. Don't forget that.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-10-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by A20A1
I love you man...

:lol

:huh: ?

2old_honda
05-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Um I'm not sure if I understood that correctly, but here goes nothing. The power taps will only work when the key is turned to the on position (so you don't kill your battery) And yes each of them is 12V. They are extremely convienient b/c you won't have to run wires to the battery anymore. Oh you want to have a fuse on that power wire too. Don't forget that.

yep.

ACCORD EX
05-11-2003, 01:13 AM

damn ! and i ran wires from the battery to that fog light switch ! damn ! :(

and what about the ground ! ?

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
05-11-2003, 01:18 AM
I found there is a little plastic cover near the left foot area that can be removed and there's a place to put a ground wire. I will put pics up tomorrow of where I put my ground. I had to take a wire brush and scrap some paint down to bare metal (can't see it anyways so no big deal.) and then unscrew this bolt and put the connector around the bolt and put it back on. I'll get pics of it though when I get home and some sleep. (I love my digi cam :) )

A20A1
05-11-2003, 01:50 AM
I dunno... removing interior paint is a big no-no in my book... seems that I have a hard enough time keeping rust off exterior pannels... no sense in helping it spread thru the interior as well.

but yeah when I removed the dash I found lots of nice places to use for ground wires... most were taken though. :D

Mike's89AccordLX
05-11-2003, 01:55 AM
Mike it's no place that is near the outside. And it's covered up. You'll see what I mean when I post pics later today.

ACCORD EX
05-11-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by A20A1
I dunno... removing interior paint is a big no-no in my book

removing any paint is a big no no in my book ! :D :D

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
05-11-2003, 09:16 AM
Well to get a good easy ground I'm sure you will do it.

2old_honda
05-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
removing any paint is a big no no in my book ! :D :D

MIKE

to get a good solid ground you have to. anyone that professionally installs any electronics in cars will tell you this.

ACCORD EX
05-12-2003, 07:13 AM
yeah i understand that ! but i prefer to look for on already done ! :)

MIKE