PDA

View Full Version : 1500 on performance need help

xenonx
05-08-2003, 03:49 PM
Ok I am new to the third gens and as soon as I sell my two 85 300zx's I will have 1500 to spend on my stock 87 dx(auto/carb). My question is should I spend the money on the accord and if so on what. Or should I use the money as a down payment on my friends 95 eagle talon with 200,000 miles on it. The accord only has 130,000. By the way the accord was free so I don't mind investing money into it. Please help.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
05-08-2003, 03:52 PM
Get a new car..

xenonx
05-08-2003, 03:55 PM
I can't get a new car and my friend is selling his for 2000 he said i could pay him the other 500 later. thats why i said down payment. so I either spend 2000 on a car or spend 1500 on one I already have.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
05-08-2003, 03:58 PM
Well Nobody can't tell what to do... The question at hand is this.. What r u planing to do with your next car.. An Honest anwser will help you..Then after u come up with a good answer then decide what to do with money!!

xenonx
05-08-2003, 04:31 PM
I want to do all performance/speed mods first the work on apperance and suspension and what not. Should i stick with my stock motor or go with a swap. If I stay stock what should i should I buy with the $$. Or if I should swap would the 1500 cover it all.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
05-08-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by xenonx
I want to do all performance/speed mods first the work on apperance and suspension and what not. Should i stick with my stock motor or go with a swap. If I stay stock what should i should I buy with the $$. Or if I should swap would the 1500 cover it all.

Dude. First of all you have dx.. For you swap in a newer engine you would have to convert to EFI ( Fuel Injection ).. So to make a long story short.. If u want speed and perfomance the Dx is not for you.. I would elaborate but it just pisses me off thiniking about it.. Hope that helps

xenonx
05-08-2003, 04:39 PM
in other words get the talon

A20A1
05-08-2003, 04:40 PM
I think 3,000 is more what you need for a swap unless you get a bargain on a few of the needed parts and or labor.

If you stick with the auto carb... depending on if you have emissions testing or not... you can do a number of different carb upgrades.

then get a header and cam... if you still have money left over I suggest you save it for the little things you'll need to do to tune the new parts... or to just fix up and replace old parts on the car.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
05-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by xenonx
in other words get the talon

That's totally up too you.. I am just speaking from my own expierence. If you really want some serious performance and you want soon.. The dx is not for you.. Just take a look around the board.. Not many fast cars here..

xenonx
05-08-2003, 04:48 PM
I wouldn't mind doing a auto to manual swap but finding a manual would be hard since no one seems to drive these here.

1988starter
05-09-2003, 06:43 PM
First ask how fast do you realy want your car I mean do you want a quarter mile at 12 sec (get a new car) or would 16's or even 15's be enough..

If you are serious about the 3g which I think is better than the talon because that is a lot of miles. Get a 5speed swap headers cat back and a webber that should eat up the money quick or do a search for DCOE and get dual webbers basically. earch through the bord see what other carb people have done if you like what you see go for it. Other wise save the money for a bit and find a car with less miles and use the accord as a daily driver..

slammedLXI
05-11-2003, 11:06 AM
i would sell the DX... then buy an lx-i with the money u make off of it...

ryan88lxi
05-11-2003, 01:09 PM
thats what i was going to say. sell the dx and get an 88 or newer lxi. you proly lose some of that 1500 but i think it would be well worth it. get a 5sp too.

PhydeauX
05-11-2003, 01:37 PM
If you want performance why are you selling the Z's? more potential there then in the accord. I wouldn't buy a talon unless it was a TSi and I wouldn't buy a TSi if it had 200K mi on it unless it was dirt cheap. 1500 can to plenty to the accord if your cheap and don't mind getting your hands dirty. If you have dreams of EFI though then don't start with a dx. You'd be better off buying an EFI version now and starting out with that then starting out with a carb and converting it later. Don't think of carbs as a limit to potential though. My car was going 15.9s last fall and should be faster now that the carbs have been upgraded again. It hasn't been run yet this year because some lazy guy needs to patch some holes and get some new tires before tech will let him run again. There are a few custom fabricated parts involved and its cost a bit more then $1500 but anything is possible with any car given enough money and effort.

andy

A20A1
05-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Really? you need to get a tech inspection if you get into the 15's?

PhydeauX
05-11-2003, 06:09 PM
They just take a quick look,
Make sure I have my helmet, check
Make sure my tires arn't about to pop, no check... one too many burnouts. They let me slide the last time since it was halloween and I assured them the car was quite slow. c'mon man, its the last street night of the season and its an 85 accord its not likes its that fast ;).
Make sure there are no holes in my car big enough to put a hand through, no check
They only really check the last one on larger events, I've never been called on it since I know better then to even try, afaik they don't refund the entrance fee if you fail tech.

andy

ryer_s
05-11-2003, 06:45 PM
ya right that talon has 200,000 miles on it i would never buy a car with that much miles on it unless i was planning on putting another motor in it. now if you got your car to 200k that is a different story. because you have seen those miles and you know the miles. with the accord, this car really isnt a car to prep up. im doing it for shits and giggles. i would spend the money on a car you want. and since you have your accord then i would just drive that car. personally i go through cars to fast to really care what i drive. but that is my 2 cents

A20A1
05-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Our track is ghetto... it's got pot holes and gravel all over. :D and the tech guy just asks if you've raced before and I'm like yeah... and they let you go.

xenonx
05-12-2003, 04:50 PM
I know every mile one the talon since its motor and transmission rebuild at 160,000. The car is my wifes but she can't give it to me her parents own the car and want 1000 for it. So...

thundertank
05-15-2003, 11:11 AM
is the talon your wife's or your friends?

xenonx
05-17-2003, 04:07 PM
it was my friends then my inlaws bought it and rebuilt the motor and then the trans and gave it to my wife. I would be buying it from them.