PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Oil Pressure and Ammeter Gauge

4DoorAccordDX
05-09-2003, 08:20 AM
I want to get an oil pressure guage and ammeter guage. I really don't trust the lights, I would rather have something that gives an accurate reading, such as, oh I don't know..........a circular guage. How would I wire these up? With the Oil Pressure, do you have to use a tube or can you hook up a sending unit somewhere and just run a wire to the guage? Also how would I wire the guages with the dimmer?

Thakns in advance for any and all info.

2-Knee

p.s. Is it ammeter or ampmeter?

Sabz5150
05-09-2003, 02:24 PM
Depends on your gauge. Mechanial gauges require actual lines to be run to them, while electrical gauges have a sender and connect by one or more wires to it.

Your ammeter is the tricky one, the gauge has to go in series with the entire electrical system of your car. Usually this means hooking it up in between the positive of your battery and the rest of the system. I'd recommend a voltmeter, as that can be hooked up anywhere you can tap ACC +12 from.

Wiring the gauges with the dimmer is also a snap. On your radio's wire harness, there is an illumination lead. Tap from that. If that doesn't allow you to dim your gauge lights, simply tap off the actual gauge cluster lights. Depending on where you mount your gauges, this may be the easier option.

4DoorAccordDX
05-10-2003, 11:37 PM
How does the idiot light for the oil work? Can I use the wire(s) or tube or whatever is hooked up on an oil pressure guage, or should I buy a sending unit and use that to hook up to a gauge? How would I hook up a sending unit? Is there a spot for it or will I have to do some work? What's the difference between an ammeter and a voltmeter? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to have all the info before I start anything.

Ok, here's a question where I just want your opinion. I found these guage bezels and cups at GI Joes, and thought if they were mounted on top of the dash, or on either side where it slopes down, so they can be seen just over the steering wheel it would be cool. What do you guys think?

http://www.splitfire.com/bezelscups.htm

Thanks in advance for any and all info

2-Knee

Sabz5150
05-11-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by 4DoorAccordDX
How does the idiot light for the oil work? Can I use the wire(s) or tube or whatever is hooked up on an oil pressure guage, or should I buy a sending unit and use that to hook up to a gauge? How would I hook up a sending unit? Is there a spot for it or will I have to do some work? What's the difference between an ammeter and a voltmeter? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to have all the info before I start anything.

Ok, here's a question where I just want your opinion. I found these guage bezels and cups at GI Joes, and thought if they were mounted on top of the dash, or on either side where it slopes down, so they can be seen just over the steering wheel it would be cool. What do you guys think?

http://www.splitfire.com/bezelscups.htm

Thanks in advance for any and all info

2-Knee

Kinda like this?

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?image=member_img_a/21000-21999/21859_47_full.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?image=member_img_a/21000-21999/21859_29_full.jpg

Anyway... Oil pressure is measured by a sender mounted right next to the oil filter. Look through the openings in your intake manifold at the oil filter. You'll see the sending unit behind it, between the filter and the block (you'll see the wire coming from it). You can use a T fitting and connect both the pressure light and aftermarket sender that way.

I don't believe that the factory sending unit will like aftermarket gauges much.

The difference between an ammeter and voltmeter is what they measure. Voltmeters measure volts (easy enough), while ammeters measure current (in amps). Voltmeters are easier to install and won't be damaged by extreme amounts of current (say from multiple batteries or high output alternators) whereas feeding an ammeter too much will result in a fairly expensive paperweight.

Sabz5150
05-11-2003, 10:49 AM
BAH! Right-click, properties those sexy red X's.

4DoorAccordDX
05-13-2003, 07:42 AM
What is the T fitting you are talking about? Is there a certain brand/type/size I should look for? I looked down and saw the wires and all that, and I noticed that unless I have hands the size of an infant, it looks like I am gonna have a hard time reaching down there and start messing with things. Is there an easy way to reach down there and hook everything up? What's your opinion on those cups and bezels? Do you think those would be better or worse (for looks and install) than a dual pillar pod and a heat gun?

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

2-Knee

Sabz5150
05-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by 4DoorAccordDX
What is the T fitting you are talking about? Is there a certain brand/type/size I should look for? I looked down and saw the wires and all that, and I noticed that unless I have hands the size of an infant, it looks like I am gonna have a hard time reaching down there and start messing with things. Is there an easy way to reach down there and hook everything up? What's your opinion on those cups and bezels? Do you think those would be better or worse (for looks and install) than a dual pillar pod and a heat gun?

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

2-Knee

I hear ya, it's gonna be a bit on the difficult side to get to that sender. Unfortunately I don't have any clue what size fittings are needed (I'm still trying to get info on what fittings I need to install a fuel pressure gauge). The best way I can think of getting at it is to remove the manifold. I said best, not easiest :tongue: That, or you can remove the filter housing, it comes off the block via 3 bolts I believe.

As for the cups vs the pillar, it's all based on what you think looks best. They both hold the gauges, and that's all they're designed to do. Cups are harder to come by though.

xbi0s
05-13-2003, 07:13 PM
Right after reading this post, I ran outside and pulled my headunit out, found the dimmer light -- and split it ready to install the rest of my gauges -- My dumbass never even thought of that instead of switches ;)

Now My TACH looks pretty :)