PDA

View Full Version : Need rotors, have question...

agelder
05-09-2003, 10:39 AM
Hello all,
I need front rotors, bad. I went to my mechanic and he was telling me somewhere around $250.00 for parts+labor. He said that there was some sort of press needed to get them on/off. I then looked it up in my Chilton's manual, and it doesn't look like you need anything special to get it off and on.

Has anyone changed the rotors themselves? If so, did you run into any problems?

Lastly, in an unfortunate incident with a rock on the highway, I bent my rim (already replaced) but the impact killed one of the lug-nut bolts (whatever it is called), and it sheared off when I was taking off the wheel to put on the spare. How hard is this to replace?

Thanks!

86AccordLxi
05-09-2003, 10:56 AM
For the rotors, the only problem is getting out the two (useless) bolts that hold the rotor on. They're always a bitch to get out. Besides that, it's a very easy thing to do. I'd also suggest possibly also change the calipers--one of mine was seized so I did--as well as brake pads. Overall, it's not too complex a process.

Alex

shepherd79
05-09-2003, 11:01 AM
it is not very hard. if you are not the expert on fixing cars, it will take you good half to full day.

agelder
05-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Great! $80 plus a day for rotors as opposed to $250 plus a day at the mechanics'! When you buy the rotors, do you need to buy anything else along with it (other than pads)? I know the calipers are still good, so that's not a problem.

infecto
05-09-2003, 07:40 PM
Other then some good brake cleaning fluid you shouldn't need anything else. Also I doubt it would even take you a day. Rotors usually just take a few mins to pop on and pop off I would say a 2hour job at the max.

anchovies
05-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Get some blue/orange goop (brake quite) also.
Put some behind the pads.
If the lug bolts is for the rear, then it's very easy to replace. If it's the front, then it's abit complicated.

AccordEpicenter
05-09-2003, 10:33 PM
lol i can do em in like 30-45 min with the proper toolz at the most

ACCORD EX
05-10-2003, 10:25 AM
check the technical section too !

MIKE