PDA

View Full Version : speedometer stop working!!!

rleyba
05-09-2003, 12:32 PM
sup ppl...well i was driving yesterday and all of a sudden the speeometer stopped working..what happened?? how hard is it to fix? also when the clutch is pretty stiff or hard to press could it be the clutch cable? the gears change but the clutch is hard..thanks all!! oh yeah..the a/c no longer blows cold air; what do i do..where do i take it..thanks..i'm a chick so excuse me if these are dumb questions..late!

POS carb
05-09-2003, 04:25 PM
it's the cable (probably disconnected)
check the connection at the tranny 1st cuz u don't need to take anything apart. If that is on tight then take off the dash gauge cluster

Mike's89AccordLX
05-09-2003, 04:30 PM
I replace my brother's speedo cable and it wasn't very difficult to install.

ACCORD EX
05-10-2003, 10:32 AM
check for connection at tranny and cluster ! check for bent or broken contacts !

MIKE

Blue Impact
05-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Did your engine light come on when your speedometer went out? If it did, you might wanna do what ACCORD EX said. Wait, just do what MIKE (ACCORD EX) said.

87accordlxi
05-12-2003, 07:38 AM
if its disconnected at the rear of the gauge cluster, make sure when you reattach it that you hear a little *click* otherwise the speedo will be inaccurate and the cable could come off again

rleyba
05-14-2003, 09:12 AM
Can i get a step by step instructions to take the cluster off to change the speedometer cable, it has to be replaced because it's broken..thanks

87accordlxi
05-14-2003, 10:31 AM
pop off all the little covers for the switches to the right and left of the steering wheel (rear defogger, headlight motors, power mirrors, etc.) stick a flathead screwdriver under the bottom edge and they should come out. disconnect the wiring to the switches and unscrew the screws that are now exposed behind the switches. pop off the cover on top of the shroud that covers the gauges. theres 4 screws in there. lift the shroud off the instrument cluter and there are 4 more screws that hold in the gauge housing itself. reach behind the housing and release the speedo cable (there is a little plastic latch attatched to the cable that you squeeze to release it) now you can disconnect all the wiring that goes to the cluster.

rleyba
06-21-2004, 06:50 AM
Ok, I finally got it fixed, it had disconnected from the transmission. Well, it stopped working AGAIN. The mechanic was going to reconnect it at the tranny, but said the gear piece where it connects is broken. Where exactly is this gear, and where does the cable get connected so I can try fixing it myself. I can't get a hold of him, and I'm tired of driving around not knowing my speed. Thanks again

MoonScryer
06-21-2004, 08:57 AM
The gear piece is an external device that hooks itself into the transmisson to read speed, and act as an secondary pump for the powersteering fluid.

Follow the speedometer cable down to the passanger side rear of the transmisson. You'll see a round thing it goes into - that is the gear. It is held in by one 10mm bolt. You also have to disconnect the two powersteering lines from it.

Check a junkyard for one. One from an automatic or manual tranny will fit, any year 3rd gen Accord.

rleyba
06-22-2004, 05:51 AM
The gear piece is an external device that hooks itself into the transmisson to read speed, and act as an secondary pump for the powersteering fluid.

Follow the speedometer cable down to the passanger side rear of the transmisson. You'll see a round thing it goes into - that is the gear. It is held in by one 10mm bolt. You also have to disconnect the two powersteering lines from it.

Check a junkyard for one. One from an automatic or manual tranny will fit, any year 3rd gen Accord.

Thanks for the prompt response, I will give it a try..

Vinny
06-22-2004, 07:11 AM
I have 2 or 3 of them laying around if you cant find one. Its a very easy part to change