PDA

View Full Version : Dual Mufflers?

accord19882002
05-09-2003, 06:15 PM
OK, just wondering if anybody here has done dual mufflers on our cars? And if so, how hard is it? Ya ya, I know, it sucks for performance, but I'm too poor to care about performance right now, and the second muffler is being given to me, and I'm going to get my exhaust done next week anyway, so this will cost me virtually nothing. Anyway, just wondered how hard it is and/or if it's even possible to get a muffler to tuck under the driver's side. Thanks

2old_honda
05-09-2003, 08:11 PM
I have never seen duals on a 3rd gen, but I have seen them on civics and 4th+ gen accords. I am sure it can be done.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-09-2003, 08:24 PM
Well you will have to cut into that black trim on the bottom of the back bumper. (so you can fit the other muffler under there) It isn't going to be hard for you to do if you're taking it to a shop. You will probably need to remove the heat sheild from about the catback back. To make room for the other pipe. It's going to hella suck for performance. Why don't you just sell the other muffler rather than be slower.

87lxi accord
05-09-2003, 08:28 PM
I think the dual pipes isnt worth it, think about it, better preformance and a lil money to put in your pocket or worse preformance and no money, i say go with the single pipe and sell the extra muffler like mike said.

c20v6turbo3rdgen
05-14-2003, 07:56 AM
my girl has a dual on her 4 cycl and everyone likes it on her car. She has a 2002 accord 2 door 5 speed LX and she got a comp on it yesterday.

jigga89SEi
05-14-2003, 08:15 AM
My boy has dual on his nissan.....But i know on alot of nissans and other cars the pipong would have to run to close to the gas tank.......I"m not sure if it will pose a problem in a 3g.....But I just wanted to point that out.....

Blue Impact
05-14-2003, 09:05 AM
I'd take Mike's advice if I were you. I believe what you wanna do is called "Y-piping." Instead of gaining, you will lose (performance-wise). You can sell the other muffler and save a bit of money and upgrade your current exhaust to 2.25" or 2.5" which is way better than the Y-piping.

Morpheus
05-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Is it good to do dual off the headers?

I know Y-piping hurts performance.

iloveJDMblackrims69
05-16-2003, 04:13 PM
noooooo dont dual it out!! just think about it.......... u know your gonna be spending your money on CAIs and stuff like that, thats a big torque loss for you...

Justin86
05-17-2003, 07:44 AM
Unless you are pushing some serious hp the duals suck for performance. If you want to do a decent setup would be 2.5" from headers back to the gas tank. Then have the Y piece with 2" piping to the two mufflers. That is what I would do but only after I had the hp.:)

i.c.
05-17-2003, 10:14 AM
is it just for show, i know alot of people who put the second on just to look cool...

accord19882002
05-17-2003, 05:29 PM
Ok, scratch the dual mufflers. I did some measuring and theres no way they would fit without taking a sledgehammer to the spare tire well. But here's my next problem. I have a rattle/squeak noise. It kind of sounds like a rattle at times and metal to metal squeak at others and sounds like it's coming from the header. Has anybody else had this problem on a Pacesetter header? Thanks again

Justin86
05-17-2003, 08:34 PM
That would be a good idea. Man that sucks about your mom and the lawnmower. Hey did you have any trouble with hooking up those headers with the stock exhaust pipe. I want to do that but cant afford to get all new pipe yet.

95AccordEXR
05-18-2003, 06:47 AM
you are better off just attaching the muffler to the other side but not hooking it up.

accord19882002
05-21-2003, 06:17 PM
Justin, no problem hooking up the header, it bolts right to the catalytic converter, if you still have yours. Although it was really easy for me because I put the header on when i had the motor out. The biggest problem you'll have is hooking up the steel lines that run from the header to the ?????. Help here, I forgot where they go and I'm too lazy to go look, but that was the biggest hassle.

Justin86
05-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by accord19882002
Justin, no problem hooking up the header, it bolts right to the catalytic converter, if you still have yours. Although it was really easy for me because I put the header on when i had the motor out. The biggest problem you'll have is hooking up the steel lines that run from the header to the ?????. Help here, I forgot where they go and I'm too lazy to go look, but that was the biggest hassle.
Well that is cool. I think that you are talking about EGR pipe and that other pipe that go to the intake for heating it up. Well I'm doing the EFI swap so I will only have to deal with EGR pipe. Since I all ready have those loose it won't be to hard to take it off a second time when I get headers.

accord19882002
05-22-2003, 06:20 PM
To Justin again, yes, those are the pipes I'm talking about, looked today. However, I also tracked down the source of my exhaust squeak today and it turns out that the bracket welded to the header had broken off and ripped a big hole in the header. Don't know if that's the company's fault or something I screwed up in installation, but it sure did piss me off. BTW, I've had it on for a year. Just something to think about.

Justin86
05-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Whooa that sucks. That should be the company's falt but if it has been on for more then a year they might not do anything about it. Just take it off and have it welded.

accord19882002
05-23-2003, 06:07 PM
Ya, it really sucks. I probably will have it welded eventually, but I don't have the time now so I just took the bracket off and wrapped it in exhaust repair tape. Temporary, but it works and the squeak is gone.