PDA

View Full Version : Cheap but bad-ass interior...

toastyghost
06-03-2002, 05:38 PM
I'm redoing my interior, I got a lot done today thanks to my damn manager sending me home early from work.. :P Anyway, I had the trim chromed for a while and today I went around and got all the painting/upholstering stuff I needed. I got a little crowbar-looking thing called a tap puller and some vinyl repair shit from the hardware store. Then I went to an auto paint shop and got vinyl cleaning chemical spray and Pacific Blue vinyl paint. After that, I went to an upholsterer and got two big rolls of silver vinyl and some valuable professional advice :)

Once I had gotten all of that stuff, I ripped the front right door panel out and started disassembling it from the back. I painted the moldings at the top and bottom, as well as the side pouch thing and the door handle, bright blue. Then I ripped the grayish carpeting stuff off the middle section and traced it onto the back of one roll of sheet vinyl. I cut the pattern out with an exactoknife and stapled it to the backboard I had torn the cloth from. Then I screwed the pieces back together and now I have my new door.

I also used some leftover vinyl paint to do the back of the gauge housing, the front trim of which had already been chromed as part of last weekend's interior mini-project. I'll hopefully have the rest of the painting/upholstering done by the end of this week and be ready to put the indiglo gauges and pedals in next week sometime. I'm going ghetto blue seat covers for now but eventually will have some Corbeau Forza black/blue-striped racing seats.

I'll post pics when I get this whole spiel finished. I was fucking amazed at how cheaply and easily you can make your interior look REALLY sharp, especially for older cars like ours. I think I spent about $45 for all the bits and pieces, and the majority of that was the rolls of vinyl for the upholstery ($10 each, 2 of them to cover all 4 doors).

Until next time,

Vanilla Sky
06-03-2002, 07:34 PM
if it looks the way you described it... you will be havin all the girls checkin out the interior

anyway... i think it's gonna be kickass to have at least a few 3geezers runnin with fresh interiors

Derick

(x_x)
06-03-2002, 08:03 PM
Pics? pics are good...:beer:

gr3k0sLaV
06-04-2002, 05:08 AM
Pics...i must see...need ideas for custom interior

toastyghost
06-05-2002, 12:15 AM
Well pics right now would be gh3y since I just have the front passenger door finished at this point... But I have a digicam so you can bet there will be pics as soon as I'm done. :) I could also list all the products I'm using for this if anyone else is thinking about doing interior work.

87DXHatch
06-05-2002, 04:57 PM
Post dem products! I am thinking about doing it as a project that takes time not $$$.

toastyghost
06-05-2002, 06:05 PM
Here's dem products list..

Moldings:
-SEM Plastic Prep
-SEM Color Coat

Trim:
-Plasti-Kote Sandable Primer
-Duplicolor Chrome

Please note that you will probably need at least 2 cans of primer and 2-3 cans of color coat to get all the trim/moldings covered with 2 coats, which I highly recommend so it doesn't look like goat nuts if it starts to chip.

Other things I used:
-Two yards of 54" sheet vinyl from a local upholstery shop to replace the fabric on the doors (split vertically, 1 yard per door)
-Generic exactoknife from Walmart crafts section for cutting vinyl
-Upholstery puller from local hardware store for ripping the taps out of the door cloth pieces
-Staplegun for reupholstering the door panels with vinyl
-Sandpaper for smoothing the adhesive shit if you're taking the carpeting off the door pockets and/or speaker panels (the bared chrome speaker grills look PHHAAAAAAT)
-Approximately 23904823094 packs of Kamel Red Lights or substitute brand of choice, and LOTS of patience :)

Anyone else that's doing stuff like this, let me know and post pics of your interior when you're done!

Later,

Vanilla Sky
06-05-2002, 07:21 PM
-Approximately 23904823094 packs of Kamel Red Lights or substitute brand of choice, and LOTS of patience

why not just a baggie of weed?? :P

Derick

toastyghost
06-05-2002, 11:37 PM
Well I guess that could be a brand of choice... :smokin:
I actually quit smoking up when I was out of work last year though, since I really needed a job and didn't want to lose any opportunities over piss tests. Well, that and the fact that I didn't have any money to support a weed habit... I've been more of a malt liquor man since then. You will :bow: to the Hurricane 40!

toastyghost
06-07-2002, 06:47 PM
Finally got the goddamn dash mostly out today... this project is going to take longer than I thought because of the dash. Sorry to keep everyone waiting for glorious pics.

Oh yeah and I got the APC Glo Pedals from Advance after I picked up my check at work. I strolled in, got the check, and left as quickly as possible to avoid getting depressed over all the poor souls stuck in there. I love not working on payday :lol:

Unfortunately the PCP silver reverse gauges are not on eBay anymore so I'm going to order them on the online store for like double the price... Sucks ass, but worth it.

Pics next weekend I promise!

14+3r

(x_x)
06-07-2002, 09:48 PM
"Pics next weekend I promise!"

...there better be....:mad: But seriously - keep up with the updates...adds to the suspense...:eek:

toastyghost
06-11-2002, 05:58 PM
werrrrrrrrrrrrrddddddddddddddddddddddddd
hondaaccord86 thanks for the help on the steering column!@#

The dash is coming out tomorrow and I just ordered the silver reverse gauges. :) pretty

The next thing is the shifter, check this shit out:
http://www.audiowarehouse.peachhost.com/ct_irb103.JPG
I present you the Varad RacerBoy 103... $53 from AudioWarehouse. It has built-in relays for 4 devices with like 3 programmable switching modes per button, so I'm going to be able to control all the lighting shit I'm putting in with my thumb! :D

My girl and I are getting tattooed together this weekend so I'll have to wait for another paycheck to get the steering wheel, but here it is...
http://sportscar-parts.com/scaimages/graphics/volanteRacepolySW.jpg
This is the Volante Drag wheel but I might get the Momo Drag wheel since I saw them on special somewhere for like $120. Either way the wheel will be black with blue thumbs.

Look for my scorpion tattoo in Off Topic the same time I post the interior pics of my car this weekend!:werd:

Ok I think that's all for now. Blah...

toastyghost
06-13-2002, 02:41 PM
For some reason this piece of shit is in the Momo section under Universal Custom Interior stuff on NopiOnline, anyway that's why I thought the Momo wheel was so cheap. But this is a "Race" brand (wtf?) Dragster wheel... looks bomb as shit and costs $114.

http://164.109.57.200/images/L0050925.jpg