PDA

View Full Version : b20a

b20vtec
05-10-2003, 08:10 AM
Does anyone know why the b series b20a cannot have the LS/VTEC swap. I dont think I need it but want to build another b20. I just dont want to spend that much. Anybody out there try this swap?

RobT5580
05-10-2003, 08:30 AM
What you said didnt make sence because the LS/VTEC consists of a integra LS bottom end with a B16 (or B-series) head. What your thinking of is a B20A block with a vtec head. It has been done to a prelude b20a but it required a lot of work. And to be honest getting a LS block will be way cheaper than a b20a block but getting the b16 head and other misc stuff will get you. The B20A is a motor available for the 86-89 accord maybe your thinking of the b20z motor. The accord b20a is much much harder to get. But now that i notice you have an integra you have most of what you need if its 5spd you will need a b16 head and a bit of misc items.

b20vtec
05-10-2003, 09:12 PM
I can get the whole motor for $200, with tranny, halfshafts, everything + I already have gsr pistons 81mm, which are the same as the prelude (I think because its bore is 81 mm also). I am just trying to find out if the heads bolt up together like an ls/ or crv/tec to save myself some cash. I have a head from a b17a motor which the bottom end was junk (out of another car). I am having bottom end troubles with my motor and just want to swap a b20a/b/z for a higher torque motor.

carotman
05-10-2003, 09:49 PM
The stroke is the major problem with the JDM B20/Vtec thing... that engine is not meant to rev up to 8500 rpm. Period.

skaterjunky8
05-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by b20vtec
I can get the whole motor for $200, with tranny, halfshafts, everything + I already have gsr pistons 81mm, which are the same as the prelude (I think because its bore is 81 mm also). I am just trying to find out if the heads bolt up together like an ls/ or crv/tec to save myself some cash. I have a head from a b17a motor which the bottom end was junk (out of another car). I am having bottom end troubles with my motor and just want to swap a b20a/b/z for a higher torque motor.

You can get a B20A for 200?? Wanna get me one? :eek:

toastyghost
05-12-2003, 10:22 AM
hehhee yeah no shit huh
forget the hybrid plans just hook me up with a phone # :lol

Oyvind Ryeng
06-23-2004, 08:14 PM
The stroke is the major problem with the JDM B20/Vtec thing... that engine is not meant to rev up to 8500 rpm. Period.
As far as I can see, the stroke of the B20B/Z and B18A/B is 89mm, and the B18C is 87,2mm. I say, the cylinder walls of the B20B/Z is it's biggest flaw. I have seen numerous B20VTECs on Honda-Tech that spins over 8000 RPM; but ofcouse - the crank is balanced perfectly, and the weight of the piston/rod-assembly is also taken into consideration when balancing it.

I dream night and day about a normally aspired B20VTEC; fully built with sleeves, rods and pistons... :)

Civvy
06-24-2004, 01:07 AM
You can do anything with the cash and a good machinist!

ICEMAN707
06-24-2004, 02:12 AM
sorry for asking but is the b20a a compatible b-series as the newer ones? or is it the black sheep of the b-series and not interchangeable in parts? cus i really just want the b20a block so it bolts into the accord. everything internal and the head and intake mani will be from the newer b-series b16, b18, b20b/z.

i just want the b20a block because placeracing is giving us an anal raping on those engine mounts to get the newer b-series in our cars. friggin' $700 alone for the mounts!! i've seen mounts for civics and tegs for 1/4 the price of that, even the old crx. $700 is just rediculous. they are monopolizing on that crap. i wish someone could take measurements of those mounts and custom make them and sell them alot cheaper. anyone in here got one of those and care to try that out for the rest of us? or at least get the measurements/diagrams? we promise not to tell placeracing...lol.

Oyvind Ryeng
06-24-2004, 03:58 AM
No, the 3G-Accord B20A is not compatible with the newer B-series. Agree on the monopolization-theory; their prizes are incredibly high!

Civvy
07-02-2004, 05:03 AM
To give a better picture than just no it cant be done!

The B20a is indeed the black sheep of the B20's it has a Rod to Stroke ratio of
1.49-1.50:1. Ideally it would be 1.75:1.

It is the ratio of the length of the connecting rod to the length of the piston stroke, or the distance the piston travels from the top to the bottom of its stroke. As the ratio gets lower, the amount of stress on engine internals increases exponentially, killing long-term reliability. The higher the number is, the slower the piston is traveling, killing power output.

However, i disagree with my own research! The problem with the (A) block is that it cannot be revved - so lets not rev it?
Why dont we make use of the torque and turbo it keeping the rpm down under 8thou?

SteveDX89
07-02-2004, 05:10 AM
Always remember when someone is talking about a B20VTEC, they are almost always talking about the B20B/Z from the CR-V. That block is compatible with the newer VTEC B-series engines. It's an expensive proposition as well since it has the weakest cylinder walls of the B-series. Anything over the stock CR-V compression will need to be sleeved.

Civvy
07-02-2004, 05:19 AM
I guess talking about the B20A block im unique then :rockon: :kekeke:

ICEMAN707
07-02-2004, 05:27 AM
yeah it has a one-piece sleeve that you could replace with a forged steel one along with forged steel sleeve brace that goes around it that you could buy. but i heard the best way is to get a b18 block and bore it out to 2.0L.