PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalled carb, now white smoke?? Help!

agelder
05-10-2003, 10:39 AM
:wtf:
Ok, I went throught the process of rebuilding the carb, reinstalling on the engine, and finally got it to start. Now I still have some probs.

1. My car now shoots fairly dense white smoke out the tailpipe, but I don't think it smells like coolant.

2. It idles high and a bit rough, but nothing horrible. It's at 2000 at first but creeps up to 2500-3000 or so, but I think that can be fixed by adjusting the idle. Not too concerned with this, but could somehow be related to other problem or if I'm wrong.

3. I'm leaking some gas out of the float adjust screw, any ideas on how to remedy this?

shepherd79
05-10-2003, 10:46 AM
1. white smoke = coolant. you are burning coolant. when you took the carb out, you probably spilled some coolant down the intake manifold. nothing serious.
2. adjust the crews, if it still runs rough after the engine warms up. check your vacuum lines. make sure they are connected the way it should be.
3. leaking gas ah. well, take the top off the carb and remove the float, very hard to do. i always break them. screw the screw all the way in untill it comes out. replace the O-ring and put everything back. RULE TO REMEMBER: DON'T TOUCH THE FLOAT SCREW.

A20A1
05-10-2003, 01:59 PM
http://www.geocities.com/accord89lx/Carbtech.html

go to that link if you need info...

I would make sure your small coolant port isn't leaking...

What kit did you use to rebuild the carb? did is supply the rubber gaskets for the base of the carb and EFE base plate?

I normally lube up the new o-rings on the float screw before installing the screw.

agelder
05-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Alright, smoke is now gone, and I owe a big thanks to Shepherd79 for helping me out over AIM. It still idles really high, but it got dark before I could adjust the idles. I just backed out the float screw a little since I noticed it was in a bit too far, and the leak stopped. All I have to do now is adjust the idle, change the oil, and slap on some new rotors and I will be set to go for a while.

Thanks to everyone who helped me specifically, as well as to everyone who has posted info on the accords.

agelder
05-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Alright, went to start it back up again, noticed the coolant was low. Refilled and the smoke is back. What is the gasket called on the top of the phenolic spacer? That is the only one the kit didnt come with, and think it is the root of the problem.

DanG86LX
05-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Is that #2 here? (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1986&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=INTAKE+MANIFOLD+%28CARB.%29)
Got one from H dealer for $10CAD. Here is part no:
16105-PG6-000 O-Ring(!?)

A20A1
05-15-2003, 01:42 PM
there are 2 variations of that EFE plate gasket... I ended up with the wrong one twice... I suppose cause they get the part #'s mixed up... or generalize too often.

agelder
05-16-2003, 07:30 AM
The layout he showed me looks exactly like my manifold layout. Thanks for the part info. I was thinking about getting a little gasket sealant stuff along with the "o" ring just to be safe (I don't want to take the carb off again, what a PITA). Think that's a good idea?

Thanks!

agelder
05-20-2003, 04:56 AM
Ok, got everything back together, the car starts again, runs pretty good, but the @#$(%*&$#@% coolant smoke is still coming out the exhaust. I have touched nothing other than the carb, and have reinstalled the carb twice, and it still comes out. My friend seems to think it could be the head gasket. Any thoughts?

mindlos
05-20-2003, 07:39 AM
has your car ever overheated.

agelder
05-20-2003, 10:20 AM
Nope. Worst part is that it didn't do this before I rebuilt the carb. At this point I'm ready to throw some stop-leak in there and let it go.

A20A1
05-20-2003, 03:21 PM
hmm

you could aways double check to make sure it's not a leak from the manifold... by bypassing the main coolant hoses and plugging the small coolant hose that connects to the rear of the carb base plate.

agelder
05-20-2003, 08:27 PM
It's fixed... thank god. I retorqued the bolts down and the coolant burned off. Thank you everyone for your help!!

POS carb
05-27-2003, 03:32 PM
yea that usually happens if the carb isn't on just right, it'll idle high/shitty and burn coolant. The base of the carb has 1 big coolant hole (and all the engine vacuum behind it) that if it isn't sealed makes all sorts of voodo on your car