PDA

View Full Version : crank pullys

Mantis88LX
05-11-2003, 09:49 AM
is it possible to take off the AC and PS crank pullys? or are they made together as one? cuz i removed AC and PS and am looking to get rid of the extra weight at the crank.

Sabz5150
05-11-2003, 10:42 AM
One piece.

PhydeauX
05-11-2003, 12:37 PM
You could get a shop with a lathe to cut them off if you really wanted to. I honestly don't think that it will make any diference. I though about doing it to mine since the 3g pully is longer then the 2g pully and it makes for a bitch of a time changing the belts <1/4" clearance between the pully and the frame. But I've kept my power steering since it feels good and only signifigantly saps power when turning the wheel,so trimming the pully never really became an option.

andy

AccordEpicenter
05-11-2003, 08:19 PM
yeah anybody ive talked to that knows about hondas says its bad to be messin around with the crank pulley

A20A1
05-11-2003, 11:18 PM
why?

anyways it would be nice to get a custom underdrive pully... with just the water/alternator pully and the gear for the timing belt.

Sabz5150
05-12-2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
yeah anybody ive talked to that knows about hondas says its bad to be messin around with the crank pulley

As long as you can keep it balanced, you're okay. Throw it off by even the slightest amount and hoooooooooooooooooooo boy!

ACCORD EX
05-12-2003, 06:59 AM
and how do you know it's balanced or not ! ?

i wouldn't mess with it !

MIKE

AccordEpicenter
05-12-2003, 07:05 AM
i wouldnt mess with it, even if you did get more power id think youd be harming engine longevity. Also how do you know its perfectly balanced? Id bet that its precision made

joker2
05-12-2003, 07:11 AM
I would have to agree, lightened pullies aren't worth the trouble.......

guaynabo89
05-12-2003, 08:21 AM
Any good performance engine shop can balance all the spinning parts of an engine or send it out to someone who can.

If your going to do anything, do it right the first time and you will be alright.

PhydeauX
05-12-2003, 02:04 PM
The balance on the pully doesn't have to be perfect. Mine has a chunk knocked off the a/c part, it's been like that since I put that motor in the car. Hasn't caused a problem yet but it would eat up the belt if there was one on there. Some imports tend to have the harmonic balancer (read a thin layer or rubber not a real fluid dampner) built in with the pully. Those I wouldn't be tempted to tamper with too much. The 3g pully is just a chunk of metal, really cheap crappy cast metal like what they make match box cars out of (don't drop it or you'll be missing a chunk too). Go to town on the thing if you feel like spending the money on it, though it would be money better spent (alot more money as well) if you got a shop to whip you up an aluminum copy of the pully, a bit smaller in diamerter and with only the grove for the waterpump/alt belt.

andy