PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump removal

SPDboy
05-11-2003, 04:10 PM
well basically I think I hafta change my oil pump, at 1000 rpms or less the oil light comes on. Above 1000 it goes off. I changed the oil and changed the sending unit and it still does it....gunna do oil pressure check...kinda bummin. Anyone ever done and can tell me what I am in for? its an 88 LX A20A1. I have air tools and a garage, but am worried about having to lower the engine if I do this. Also do I hafta remove the oil pan? Any thoughts are appreciated. -Mark

AZmike
05-11-2003, 04:57 PM
I've never done the job myself, but the Honda manual makes it look pretty easy. Remove the timing belt covers, drain oil, remove the 3 bolts and nut that hold the pump in. Don't forget to buy all the associated replacement o-rings (the manual shows 1 o-ring and 1 gasket between pump and block and an o-ring inside the pump if you're only replacing some of the parts).

Which parts were you planning on replacing? Do you need the clearances so you can figure out which parts are worn?

SPDboy
05-11-2003, 05:21 PM
uhhhh
replacing the whole oil pump....I think...do I hafta remove the oil pan?

AZmike
05-12-2003, 01:09 AM
Since I've never done the job, I'm not sure which parts they give you. Either way, the oil pan does not need to be removed.

ACCORD EX
05-12-2003, 07:00 AM
what is the sign of 0il pump going bad ?

MIKE

guaynabo89
05-12-2003, 08:28 AM
You must remove all the belts, crank pulley, t belt cover, and possibly the timing belt.(oil pump is driven off the t belt) I dont know how easy it is to get to the pump with the engine still in the car, but expect it to be pretty tight.

Remember to prime the new pump or it will not work

AccordLxi88
05-12-2003, 09:12 AM
If you do need to pull the oil pan it is really easy. Yesterday i took mine off in about 45 minutes. All you do is drop the cross member, unbolt the exuast at the front of the engine and let it hang then pull the pan.

SPDboy
05-12-2003, 01:34 PM
well I am assuming since when my engine drops below 1000 RPMS the oil light comes on, I replaced the sending unit and changed the oil

Sabz5150
05-12-2003, 07:16 PM
You will not have to pull the oil pan. You will however have to remove the crank pulley, timing belt and both covers to get to it. Unbolting it shouldn't be any more difficult than removing your water pump, there's about the same amount of clearance between it and the inside of your engine bay.

I don't have any idea what's involved with priming it or other things that have to be done to the pump since I haven't done that job before.

SPDboy
05-19-2003, 01:48 PM
anyone else???? I installed a oil pressure gauge...looks like at 1krpm I am running about 2psi and at 3krpm I am runnin around 22psi oil pressure