PDA

View Full Version : Loud knocking noise

AccordLxi88
05-12-2003, 12:34 AM
My car had a really loud knocking noise. It sounded like the bottom end. so I pulled the oil pan( with engine still in car) and found that the #4 rod bearing was destroyed it had cracked and grinded. so i was wondering if it is ok too just replace the 1 bearing and not doing all of the others. also how do i know what size bearing to get.:smokin:

A20A1
05-12-2003, 12:38 AM
umm I would do all of them... I'm not sure on the size though... isn't there a guage you can use to tell the size... I'm not too familliar though

AZmike
05-12-2003, 01:16 AM
It's ok to do just one, but depending on the cost and condition of the parts I might do all of them also.

The nominal bore size for the rod is 48 mm. Honda divided the rods into 4 groups depending on the tolerence: 0.000-0.024 mm (0.006 mm for each group). The number is stamped on the rod where the connecting rod and the bearing cap meet.

AccordEpicenter
05-12-2003, 07:11 AM
well before you do anything, you gotta measure the crank where the #4 rod bearing was to see if the crank is out of spec. If its WAY out of spec then if you replaced the bearing, itd probably run with a knock or eat up the bearing again quickly. Also you should measure the inside of the rod between the endcap and the rod to see the clearance there, you might need a new endcap or rod too.

AccordLxi88
05-12-2003, 08:10 AM
Also how would i get the color of the bearing. where are the numbers on the crank