PDA

View Full Version : MY ACCORD DID 21 SEC in 1/4mile run!!!!! WHAT THE F*$k!?

myaccorddoes21
05-12-2003, 04:56 AM
:burn: My accord from 1986 did 21 seconds in quarter mile at 60mph. I put a new intake with k/n cone style filter with ram air, exhaust 2 inch down with magnaflow with tip, msd 2 blaster, ngk spark plugs, bosch 4 plus, and octane booster from NOS. My car is an automatic and i was told that I should of done 17 sec on 1/4mile. WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED?!?!?

It's like the more mods I add, the slower it gets! AHHH!
I can't beat anyone with my car. Even Hyundai's past me easily. SOS!!:( :crying:

myaccorddoes21
05-12-2003, 04:59 AM
One more thing in case, it's not fuel injected!

myaccorddoes21
05-12-2003, 05:04 AM
I also installed headers on it, it has 15 inch lighter wheels, and probably some other little things that I could of forgot. I'm really MAD! I wanna beat these HYUNDAI's that make fun of me!

A20A1
05-12-2003, 05:18 AM
sounds like you're motors losing compression... or you advanced your ignition too much...

what are you shifting at with the auto?

You may want to lock you throttle value lever before you do a run. and unhook the cable... so you can max each gear and clear up resistance to the throttle cable.

Is you're tranny fluid at the right level?

and how did you rig up the K&N cone filter to the carb?

You may have a loose booster venturi inside the carb and that will hurt your performance big time. Or you may need to overhaul the entire carb... might as well try and clean the carb with carb cleaner first though. and see what that does.

myaccorddoes21
05-12-2003, 07:23 AM
:( Im sorry to say that I bought a new carburator as well. It didn't do much either. The car just felt the same.
How can I restore compresion?

How do i adjust the timing? The honda mechanics fooled with it cauze I asked them too in order to get performance. Probably that's why I have the problem.

The K/N intake was simple. I just bought the filter and I stucked in the hose going in the carburator. It's clamped in nicely. The engine bay looks great. I painted it and everything, but it's looks do not match it's performance. :(

:flip: I wish I could do this to all those Hyundai's making fun of me. It's a stupid club they have and they don't like Honda's.

Also I raced against a Chyrsler Lebaron from 1983 2.2L engine and it beat me like by 3 trucks in third gear. First and second were the same and in third he just left. His car is completely stock and I confirmed it. He's a good friend of mine and he said that my car should of kicked his ass cauze of all the mods. He thought he was going to loose and he didn't. He was worried. He told me that if I couldn't fix the engine, just jank the whole thing with the transmission and put a v8. Good tip but I think a good V6 with turbo would do. V8's are too big.

Thanks alot for tips! Keep em going please! I want to post pictures or videos of my car beating a hyundai! THANX!:super:

1988starter
05-12-2003, 08:15 AM
Wow that sucks I would start by checking your timing and did you take the stock filter out when you clamped on the K&N one. Also check you compression get a tool to do it from autozone or any other place that sells such parts. You may also want to try engine restore fluid it comes in a silver can I have heard good things about it restoring lost compression... When you are all done checking those things go back to the track. Also how did you launch did you hold the break with one foot and gas with the other. DID you accidently start in 2 because that would sow you down a lot

Shift like this d3 then when first maxes out go to 2 then back to d3

Blue Impact
05-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Lose some weight. That might help a bit. No, I'm not just talking about losing some of the dead weight of your car. I'm talking about you losing some weight too. :D

Mike's89AccordLX
05-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Alright why the hell did you put octane booster (NOS brand) in your car? Did you ever read the label? It's not supposed to be put into a normal car.

goldyaccord
05-12-2003, 01:00 PM
I have a feeling his secondaries arent coming on...

shepherd79
05-12-2003, 01:47 PM
do you live in a state with emission test?
if not, ditch the emissions, all the vacuum lines.
put timing back to normal. don't use that octane booster crap.

87AccordsterLx
05-12-2003, 05:23 PM
Before I started to read the replies to his initial post I thought that for sure it was the compression. Then Mike mentioned it also... Another thing is what Chris was saying... make sure the rectangle filter is taken out of your carbs air box. To adjust your timing you need to unbolt the 2 bolts on the distributor and slide it accordingly. From reading your post I can tell your friends don’t know much about cars if they are telling you to put a v8 in your accord or even a v6 for that matter. If you want to do an engine swap you need to start looking into B series Integra engines or the well known h22 series engines out of the prelude. All of this costs LOTS of $$$. Take your car to a well known auto shop with certified professionals. Have them adjust your air/fuel ratio, timing, check compression, plugs, wires, carb condition... basically request an overall inspection of your main components. Get an oil change with oil filter and change your fuel filter. Get back to us on some of the stuff mentioned and we will try to help.

87AccordsterLx
05-12-2003, 05:24 PM
BTW do some research on what octane is and how it effects your car. Higher octane is only needed for high compression engines. Our accords run just fine on normal unleaded 87 octane fuel.

Check out www.howstuffworks.com and search Octane.

ryer_s
05-12-2003, 06:06 PM
wtf is the compression at?

A20A1
05-12-2003, 06:12 PM
9.1:1 for A20A1 and 9.3:1 for A20A3

shepherd79
05-13-2003, 03:41 AM
86-87 A20A3 and BT engines had 8.8:1 compression according to Chiltons manual.

myaccorddoes21
05-13-2003, 05:49 AM
:barf: The engine has over 200k. I've done all the maintainance already including removing the rectangular filter when I installed the k/n filter.

I'm going to put the Restore can in the engine and if things keep failing, im going to dump the engine later and put something better.

Also, i'm going to use that good transmission tip which one of you indicated that I should start in 3. I think this is what screwed the 1/4 time. I was told that my looked as I wasn't hitting full throttle. It looked like I was going out for a sunday drive. Very sucky indeed!

I also noticed that my car is much better with 93octance than 87octane. It actually lasts longer and my engine runs "smoother and better". If you guys tell me that the engine runs good at 87, mine doesn't. Could that indicate another problem?

Thanx a lot for the tips.

:super:

1988starter
05-13-2003, 07:16 AM
yea if 87 does not work well it could indicate bad timing

Mike's89AccordLX
05-13-2003, 07:23 AM
Well I was told by honda not to run anything lower than 89 octane and also the manual says the same thing. I run 90 sometimes 90.5 octane. I'm sure your shifting had something to do with the 1/4 mile time but it wasn't the only thing. I hope someone adjusts my timing in Ontario b/c I think mines a little tweeked and I don't know how to do it.

1988starter
05-13-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
Well I was told by honda not to run anything lower than 89 octane and also the manual says the same thing. I run 90 sometimes 90.5 octane. I'm sure your shifting had something to do with the 1/4 mile time but it wasn't the only thing. I hope someone adjusts my timing in Ontario b/c I think mines a little tweeked and I don't know how to do it.

Ill bring my timing gun

87lxi accord
05-13-2003, 12:49 PM
what the average 1/4 mile time for a stock 87 lx-i hatch?

myaccorddoes21
05-13-2003, 03:11 PM
Yeah, what's the quarter mile for the 1986 HOnda Accord sedan?? Post the times please...:confused:

anchovies
05-13-2003, 05:08 PM
I think it's about 17.8s or so depending on what kinda driver u r.

myaccorddoes21
05-14-2003, 03:36 AM
Dude, my car is fucked up cauze it has over 200k. Give me a break. I hit full throttle and the response is terrible! Help me out. don't trash me out. I have enough problems already. Thanx!:rant:

89 Accords Rock
05-14-2003, 08:21 AM
I did mine at the test and tune last weekend, mines a 89 lx carbed, i ran 16.4 as my best time. i got the slips to prove it. It actually ran nice. almost beat an intrepid it was so close i think he got 16.2 or sumtn. i got exhaust, wires, plugs, cold air, and all my emissions are removed.

pip
05-25-2003, 09:59 AM
my friend put octane booster in his bonnville thinking it would work some magical miracle on his car i told him he shouldn't put that in is there becasue A he drive a GM and B its not some high performance engine is there any bad effects of putting octane booster in?

IWLSF
05-25-2003, 10:14 AM
1. 16.4 on a 89 LX? You said you have the timeslips to prove it, then show them, I dont believe that at all.

2. You should kill a Chysler Lebaron? I dont think so man, those cars do pick up pretty easily. Stock turbo too, so dont listen to that friend.

3. 87 octane is good, if our car just came out of the factory. But as more time goes on, and the motor gets older, you need to run a higher octane fuel. Older motors require a higher octane fuel, like your old grandma require more and more medicine's as she gets older. If it runs fine with 87, then sure, dont worry about it. But dont be surprised if you need to boost it up.

4. As far as the 21 second quarter mile, I could tell you anything everyone else here is saying, but that's a waste of my time and yours. ANYTHING could be fucked on the car, and unless I'm there, or you can describe a problem, I cant help you with shit. It's a 100% shot in the dark.

buzzbomber88lx
05-29-2003, 08:37 AM
3 words- 5 speed swap!!!!

buzzbomber88lx
05-29-2003, 08:41 AM
Hey pip...gotta love the bonervilles!!!! I drive mine like it's a f1 racer. gotta love my 16.32 @ 87.6mph. not bad for 231,000 miles on the clock and an automatic 3800v6. Fuel additives are worthless unless you own a bigger motor with lets say a holley double pumper and a bds blower poppin outta the hood. A little 4banger shouldnt use the stuff it probably did make things worse!

3rd GEN
05-29-2003, 12:18 PM
ya i don't know man.. i know my lx goes pretty good...like if i put the pedel to floor, it goes...like off the line...it takes off...but if your going along at like 120km/h and step on it...obviously it will be sluggish and take time to get the acceleration up.. cuz it's carb..injection is much different..
but my se-i compared to my lx..ya the sei is pretty damn quick..i can easily beat 4th gen accords, older civics, and many other cars..even in my lx i could beat the odd 4th gen accord.