PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions

Immeraufdemhund
05-12-2003, 09:27 AM
two questions. The first is that my 89 accord lx is not reading the temp. I havne't fooled with under the dash, but under the hood is a different story, can someone point out what i might have disconnected? second is the P.S. is leaking somewere and is dripping on the belt and flinging fluid everywere. third, there is a hose below the stock intake tube towards were my EGR would be on my efi car. it's broken and it has gray smoke coming out of it... any clue on what it is, and were i should plug it into? thanx for the info guys. I'm off to work so i wont be able to check everyminute for trouble shooting questions, sorry.

Immeraufdemhund
05-12-2003, 11:47 AM
well i'm about as smart as dumb! i took off the water pump earlier and no water came out, but that didn't occur to me untill i started driving for a little bit, i got about 4 miles and the car died on me and wouldn't go any further.. the thing over heated as expected. so now i gotta see what sorta damage i did. hopefully nothing too terrible.... ack sometimes my smartness suprises me....grrr........ update... and now i found out what that one hose was, it was a hose for the radiator.... hmmmm that explains a few thigns... *DOWBT*!

AZmike
05-12-2003, 01:31 PM
I had a similar power steering fluid leak. I replaced the pulley seal (~$5 part at the dealer) on the PS pump and no more PSF mess.

Immeraufdemhund
05-13-2003, 06:03 AM
ok, now to update from yesterday. I still can't get the car to fire. I'm thinking i burned up the button and cap, so i still have my old one from my car, so i'm gonna put that on and see if i can get some fire. It needs a tune up somethign fierce anyway. the coil still works cause i put the spark plug on that and it shocked me good, dont know about the plugs though. I'd pull out mine, but i dont want my platinum 4's on his. Fixing to head up towards advance here and get him some plugs. I just wanna see if it's the cap. Any suggestions about that?
-=-=-=-=-=-=
ok so i tried to put on my 87 lxi cap but it's different size than a 89 lx. my 87 is bigger. is it because a20a1, or cause 88/89?

Immeraufdemhund
05-13-2003, 07:27 AM
:wtf: ok i put in new plugs, cap, and button and the thing still wont start up, all fluids are dandy. Though i was looking at the oil and it's a mixture of black (from the old crap) and new and something else... i hope that black crap wasn't synthetic, cause i put normal in it. what is going on why wont it fire or nothing? it did run hot, but it shut down on it self...... timing belt\???

Immeraufdemhund
05-13-2003, 08:48 AM
come on guys i could really use some help here, i'm like completly confused. this is my friends car (89 lx sedan, not my 87 lxi hb)I took the car to a hill and popped the clutch. It didn't want to start but i gave it some gas and it then got out of that puttering and started to go a little bit. It sounded like it was a mixture of light knocking and a couple of misses here and there, but it was actually driving kinda well...all in all. So i get to another top of the hill and tried to let it idle it did but very very rough. I turned of the car to see if i could start it back up and it started up almost immediatly, but i had to give her some gas while starting it and had a little bit of a hard time starting. So i brought it back to my house and put in the clutch to ride it in my drive way see if it would idle, but it ended up shutting off. So i looked at the oil and it was black again, but it also had bubbles. I could still smell the old burnt oil. I could see some traces of the new oil, but it was also bubbly with a weird mix. It turned the black stuff kinda light brown. My mom says its water (i have no mix in the radiator right now), but the radiator isn't leaking any. When i got back and opened the hood the resevoir was uhh..i guess boiling, but it wasn't hot, i guess air was going in it. I took off the vavle cover and it's black and ugly, i have a digi cam if someone wants to put the pic of it on there... just a thought. So now my mom is thinking head gasket. I'm thinking drain the oil again and change it and try again.

mindlos
05-13-2003, 11:34 AM
go get a compression tester from the auto parts store and that may tell you if you have a bad head gasket or cracked head. Water in oil and bubbling coolant is an eery sign of head problems, especially if the car is rough and has no power, or you just didnt bleed the air enough. Was the thermostat functional? Temp sensor still doesnt work?

Immeraufdemhund
05-13-2003, 05:15 PM
i beleve the thermostat was still working. My mom said it was when we got back, but the radiator was still cold even with an over heated engine. i think it's a bad head gasket... for this kid it's not that unnormal....which brings me to this boint.. all you wanna be racers, dont race your car unless you fix it.. if it's broken or not in tip top shape it will die.... like this car that i've worked on now for 3 days straight..... grrrr.... i do believe it's the head gasket. That's what all the bad things are telling me.. I also heard a loud metal breaking sound today when driving and out went all the water. again cold radiator.. the thing is fried now, i dont even want to look at it. but on the flip side i got my car fixed and the ball joint was only $33...it was buy one get one free at 50% off! so i was happy after that. I was really frustrated earlier today...