PDA

View Full Version : i am gonna be takin my car to MAACO but have a few questions first

NOAHS88accord
06-04-2002, 01:41 AM
hey everybody,

my car is currently that maroon color and i plan on painting it pearl white. but i got a few questions first question is how much do you think i will be charged for pearl white? second i shaved my emblems and am in the process of shaving my side trim but what do i use to fill where the trim is. i want that smooth look to my car. third, i live in a cold climate and have heard bad things about bondo when its cold "bondo shrinks in the cold"? should i use fiberglass instead?

thanks
noah

SteveDX89
06-04-2002, 05:36 AM
Shouldn't be charged for the color change but it'll be extra for door jambs and under hood and trunk.

89AccordNate
06-04-2002, 12:58 PM
I dont recommened doing the side molding shaving yourself. Theres no way you can successfully fill in the side moldings with bondo and have it staying nice. First of all bondo is hard to work with and takes tons of time on a large scale. In order to successfully shave your side moldings you need to have sheet metal of some kind welded in to cover the whole, and then have the imperfections bondoed or smoothed out in some manner. DO NOT fill that big hole with bondo, it wont stay, and it will look wavy if your a beginner.

As for the painting......stevedx89 is right, they charge extra for the extra amount of painting they have to do. The pearl may be slightly more expensive because it is a 2 stage paint....which takes more time to apply.

Nate.

NOAHS88accord
06-04-2002, 05:37 PM
yeah ill probably just have them paint the side molding when they paint the car, hey nate i like that drop down screen thats nice, i plan on doing that but with a PS2 instead of the dreamcast, so i got about $1200.00 i can give up for the painting you think they will do under the hood, the door jams, and the trunk along with the rest of the car PEARL white or is it gonna be more?

accordlx
06-04-2002, 06:32 PM
I think many people confuse Bondo with modeling clay. They are not one in the same. (BTW you cant use modeling clay on your car either. Hehe) Bondo is a smoothing aid, not a reforming compound. Bondo should never be applied any thicker than 1/4 inch if you want it to last. It is however ok to use fiberglass thicker. You also have to sand the surface you are applying the bondo to with coarse sandpaper. This will give the bondo some bite on the surface you are applying it to.