PDA

View Full Version : engine codes

accordlx-i2
05-12-2003, 11:48 AM
what does the engine prefixesand suffixes mean ie, b16a,b,a1,a2 and ect for the rest of the engines ie, 1.6,1.8,2.0,2.2,1.7. id like to know what the beginning letters and ending letters mean on the engine codes thanks.

Blue Impact
05-12-2003, 11:17 PM
You're asking a lot, buddy. I'll tell you what I know though. For the first letter, anything other than B, H, and D (1G Integras) are SOHC (Single Over Head Came) engines. The two numbers following the first letter determines the number of litre. The second letter and last number determines the engine series (B18A1 for 2G Integras, except for GSR's; and B18B1 for 3G Integra RS, LS, and GS; and B18C1 for 3G Integra GSR and B18C5 for the Type R). I don't know much about Civic engines so I can't help you there. I hope this isn't confusing for you to understand. Please do understand that I do not work for Honda and what I know is what I learned from friends.

accordlx-i2
05-13-2003, 04:00 PM
thank you im new to the honda revolution and dont know much about them and want to learn a little before getting into any projects. I'm a mechanic by trade so in that sense i dont need much help,but thanks for all your info and patience!!!!! and lastly do you know how to tell jdm motors apart from usdm ones and whats the big deal about them? thanks again

anchovies
05-13-2003, 04:17 PM
generally, jdm motors don't have numbers for the series, e.g., B16A, B18C, B20A ...
They have higher horse/torque on most, and generally with little miles because of the 5 years deal in japan for cars
if I'm right!!

accordlx-i2
05-14-2003, 04:58 PM
thanks again everyone!! and for patience for a newbie

Trowa
05-15-2003, 11:28 AM
I'm REALLY new here and this will prbly be a dumb question, but where on the engine do u find what it is? We're supposed to have A20A right? but the only thing that I have found on mine was BT1. Am i looking in the right place, or do i have a different engine?

OldSchoolSwap
05-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Trowa
I'm REALLY new here and this will prbly be a dumb question, but where on the engine do u find what it is? We're supposed to have A20A right? but the only thing that I have found on mine was BT1. Am i looking in the right place, or do i have a different engine?
Most hondas have them stampped on the block. next to your transmission, under the head.

Trowa
05-15-2003, 11:55 AM
Thx, gonna go and look for it now =)

Blue Impact
05-16-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by OldSchoolSwap
Most hondas have them stampped on the block. next to your transmission, under the head.

For our cars, it kinda sits below the distributor, toward the right.