PDA

View Full Version : All People Who Have Carbed Accords

NOAHS88accord
06-04-2002, 01:43 AM
has anyone installed a remote starter on their carbed accords? is there a different way you have to do it? and also does anyone have the colors for all the wires i will need?

thanks
noah

:werd:

RCracer
06-05-2002, 01:38 PM
you need to talk to accordlx (Chris) he has one on his car.
He is moderator in the mechanical section of the board.

accordlx
06-05-2002, 06:13 PM
I have one in my car. It works really well. What I suggest before you run out and buy one is how easily your car starts and runs. My car is always kept very tuned up. The performance of your starter will depend on how well your car starts.

There are no special modifications in putting in a remote starter other than the installation if your car is an automatic. If it is manual, you might have problems but this is not impossible either.

87AccordsterLx
06-06-2002, 10:46 AM
Chris... I wanted to get a remote starter as well but i have a few concerns... One.. my car doesnt startup right away, sometimes it takes a few seconds to get started... Do you have to hold down a button untill the engine turns over or how does it work...?? Also would you have any idea why it takes a while to turn over??? Some times it seems like I have to give it a little gas to start up.. any ideas??? Lastly Where can you go to get one, how much are they, and how much would the installation be???? Thanks....
~Nathan~

accordlx
06-06-2002, 05:47 PM
Most places wont do an install on a carbed car because they can't guarantee that it will work. All remote starter that I have put in can be set up in one of several ways. Mine trys to crank the engine for a set amount of time. Some use a tach start feature that will try to start the car until the engine reaches a set value in RPMS. (say like 1000 rpms) and then will disconnect the starter and let the car idle. I personally have a starter from Designtech International that I bought at Pep Boys on the Accord. ($70 mismarked) I have another one my Firebird I bought at Sam's club that I paid $50 (Sams is like Costco on the west coast.)

I personally like the Bulldog unit I got from Sams better. It has more features like trunk release and has a seperate button for starting and stopping the engine.

I have to sometimes pump the gas when I start my car cold but never if it has been run in the last 10 hours. (I have measured this many times so I know this figure is accurate. I think it has something to do with my lack of clean fuel filters.) Anyways, having to pump the gas when you are starting is normal because the fuel pressure has to come up and fill the float bowls on most carbed cars. The way to get around this problem is just to pump the gas right after you shut if off. This will totally fill the float bowls and has never failed me. If you are having starting problems, you need to check timing. You also need to check the condidition of your fuel filters, rotor and distributor cap. This will help you to get your car started the first time.

I am not trying to discourage you to from trying a remote starter with a carbed car. I have put remote starters on every possible type of vehicle that you can think of. I even made one work on a big GMC truck with a Cummings turbo diesel and a manual transmission. I had to get a glow plug timer so that it would wait to try to start the truck for 30 seconds so that the glow plugs would preheat. It still works after 4 years. (Friends' truck)

You can make anything possible with enough patience.

AccordChemist
06-07-2002, 09:27 PM
heres a wiring diagram...

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/wires/accord86-89.htm

87AccordsterLx
06-09-2002, 10:24 AM
hey thanks... that really helped out a lot....!!! I'll replace those parts and let you know how she runs.... :smokin: