PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me (Tranny and Timing)

Tref_LXI
05-13-2003, 01:45 AM
Ok guys i am having some problems with my car. I took the engine out to reinstall my clutch again, kept on slipping so i took out the engine for the 4th time in the past 4 months. I took off the transmission just fine and inspected the clutch. Some oil got on the clutch so i cleaned it off and installed the protector i didnt put on last time. Well now i cant get the transmission to go back onto the engine. It WONT pop back into the engine, so i need to know what the hell this could be. I used the tool act sent me to adjust the center of it which is right on.
Timing, how do i get the timing perfect? I have taken off all the pullies to install my lightened pullies and i need to know how to get the timing perfect. Replaced the crankshaft and camshaft which i think control the timing. I need to know how to get this aligned together.

Tref_LXI
05-13-2003, 08:20 AM
yeah if someone could please tell me what they think that would be really helpful.

mindlos
05-13-2003, 08:38 AM
Cant help you with the tranny but are you also asking about ignition timing and aligning the crank with the cam?

Tref_LXI
05-13-2003, 01:49 PM
yeah i need to know how i can ge the timing perfect. I took them both off and i know the timing was off to begin with.

mindlos
05-13-2003, 05:46 PM
You have to do the do the Top Dead Center thing for both the cam and crank then use a timing light. Loosen the disengage the timing belt from the camshaft gear

You need to turn the crank so that the T mark on the flywheel (look through the window) is aligned with the stationary mark. At this point the #1 cylinder is at TDC. Helps if your plugs are removed. Now align the camshaft gear so that the arm marked UP is directly pointing up and the TDC marks/grooves on the edge of the gear are aligned with the cyclinder head surface. If the didtributor is installed the rotor must be pointinng at the #1 point (cap).

At this point your timing belt must be installed/adjusted and tightened. Both the crank and cam must get to TDC at the same time when turning them together.

Now you should be able to set your timing using a light through the window or advance it till you get pinging then set it back a notch. I'm not sure what the LXI degrees are.

Tref_LXI
05-13-2003, 06:45 PM
im sorry i dont really know the marks you are talking about. Please give me pictures of these if you can.

anchovies
05-13-2003, 10:43 PM
You can see the mark clearly on the flywheel if you look through the timing window.
Download the manual in the faq if u need it.
Here's the pic from the cam how-to that shows the cam gear with #1 at tdc.
http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/cam/gear2.jpg

mindlos
05-13-2003, 10:54 PM
I had to split this page in half. The crankcase pointer can be seen through a plugged window by the edge next to the tranny on the front, left of the headers. Thats where the stationary and flywheel mark can be seen. You will need a flash light. There are "UP" marks on the camshaft gear and TDC groves on the edges of the camshaft gear that need to be aligned with the head surface.

http://66.41.36.228/~mandla/tdc-1.jpg
http://66.41.36.228/~mandla/tdc-2.jpg

Tref_LXI
05-14-2003, 12:14 AM
thanks for the help dude, really do appreciate it. I got the tranny to pop in thank god and all adjusted.

mindlos
05-14-2003, 06:10 AM
you are very much welcome.