PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump?????HELP!!!!!!!!

jay1988lx
05-13-2003, 05:37 AM
How can I check my fuel pump if its workin or not! My car runs fine but it dies when I come to a stop or slowing down. Changed both fuel filters and rebuilt carb (adjusted). The car doesn't idle, it just starts rpm goes up to 2000 and then just drops and dies. I have to step on the gas to keep it running. Fuel Pump? somebody help me out PLEASE!!!!!!!

ACCORD EX
05-13-2003, 07:08 AM
check for vacuum leaks ! specially from the master cylinder to teh carb !

MIKE

jay1988lx
05-14-2003, 09:18 AM
check for leaks and no vaccum leaks. Is ther any thing else I can check?

ACCORD EX
05-14-2003, 10:38 AM
is teh idle mixture screw in place ! when mine dropped it didn't hold the idle ! also check the idl control solonoid at the back of the carb ( the one with electrical connection )

MIKE

jay1988lx
05-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Mike,

hey thanx, I was just looking at the how to's and looked at the carb adjusting part. Hopefully It works or I should say hopefully I do it right!

Idl control selenoid: what am I looking for with this, just if its plug in and connected? Or can I test it some how to see if its workin?

Thanx for the tip!

DanG86LX
05-14-2003, 08:57 PM
Check this:
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17845
With engine OFF but ignition ON, unplug and plug plastic connector: click!
Repeat several times: click! click! click! ..

What do u mean by "rebuilt carb (adjusted)" ? Did u take carb apart and rebuild it?

ACCORD EX
05-15-2003, 01:10 AM
the solenoid in the thread DanG posted is teh one i am talkin about ! put your fingers on it and ask someone to turn on the igntion you shoud feel a click !? ?

MIKE

scandalcat1
05-18-2003, 02:19 PM
I suggested on another thread to check the relay for the fuel pump. I wouldn't really recommend testing unless you are carefull with the fumes form the pump and have cleaned the strainer of all gas traces.
The pumps range in price from $70 to $120 dols new and $30 to $60 used.

ACCORD EX
05-19-2003, 07:56 AM
he is carbed so no fuel relay ! :)

MIKE

scandalcat1
05-19-2003, 03:24 PM
Hey Mr. Mike
Here is the LINK:
http://www3.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0d/09/07/0900823d800d0907.jsp
AND HERE IS THE REST IF THE LINK DOES NOT WORK...
In-Tank Fuel Pumps

Turn the ignition OFF.

On the Accord, remove the screws securing the underdash fuse box to its mount. Remove the fuel cut-off relay from the back of the fuse block and turn the block so you can see the relay mount. Use a jumper wire to connect the two left-most terminals of the relay mount (terminal 1 to terminal 2).

On Preludes, remove the dashboard under cover; remove the fuel cut-off relay from the fuse block. Use a jumper wire to connect the top 2 terminals (terminals 1 and 2) of the relay mount.

Disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter in the engine compartment. Connect a pressure gauge to the fuel line.

Turn the ignition key ON until pressure on the gauge stabilizes, then turn the key OFF.

Pressure should be between 2.6-3.3 psi (18-22.7 kPa). If the pressure shown is below minimum, the pump must be replaced. If pressure is at least minimum, continue with the test.

Remove the pressure gauge from the fuel line; hold the line in a quart container. Have an assistant turn the ignition switch ON for 60 seconds, then shut it OFF.

Fuel flow in 60 seconds must be at least 25.7 oz. (760 cc).

If fuel pump volume is below specification, the pump must be replaced.

Remove the jumper wire at the fuse block. Reinstall the fuel cut-off relay. Reinstall the fuse block on its mount.

any questions?

scandalcat1
05-19-2003, 03:28 PM
I guess assuming that some people on the board know which fuel pump relay (being the cutoff and common knowledge) on the LX Carb is the one I am talking about, I apologize and will never assume on this board again, only be clear, concise, consistent and best of all specific.