PDA

View Full Version : Quick help needed!

89RIDE
05-13-2003, 11:00 AM
I'm starting to work on changing my head gasket like i've been telling you guys but how do you get the hoses off of anything. Is there some trick or something that i'm missing. I'm working on getting the fuel line hoses off and it feels like there's no way to get them off without breaking them. Please help!

anchovies
05-13-2003, 04:00 PM
yank it off.
If it breaks, it's time for a new one.
Also can use a screwdriver or similar tool at the end to work it off. But you have to cut the end off just in case you crack it.

Immeraufdemhund
05-13-2003, 06:03 PM
i get a flat head and push at the end of the hose and also pull on it at the same time. It comes right off, even the ones that are all burnt on it. Try that.

Dizzo7693
05-14-2003, 12:05 PM
I'll just use a pair of pliers.. squeeze the hose and at the same time move it up and down and you will see that it will get loose easier. Plus you don't have to worry about cutting the ends or even jabbing the screwdriver through the hose.

Just a lil' help from the "Lil Worm" :lol:

bambamky
05-14-2003, 02:18 PM
try taking a pair of pliers they might have a clamp on them then just pull til they come off!
just like anchovies said!

blazin3gen
05-14-2003, 03:14 PM
just got to say this to u BE CAREFULL ;)

isadisa
05-14-2003, 08:40 PM
grab the hose with a pair of pliers and twist, it will break loose then you can pull it off with your hand....we just did a head gasket on an Integra...fun stuff

ACCORD EX
05-15-2003, 12:46 AM
i am with isadisa , but i use the pilars on peice of cloth ( covering the hose ) so not to damge it ! and then twist and you'll feel it coming loose and just pull it then ! :)

MIKE

89RIDE
05-15-2003, 08:58 AM
Hey guys thanks for the help, i just used a small flathead screwdriver to get the end loosened and then all of them pulled right off. But now i have another question for you guys. I've taken off all the accessory belts like the book said to and now i'm trying to get to the timing belt but how do i get the damn crankshaft pulley bolt off because the pulley itself turns. Any help is needed.

mindlos
05-15-2003, 11:12 AM
Two ways I know.

1) Have somebody jam and hold a big flathead screwdriver in the timing observation window against the ring gears of the flywheel to keep it from moving.

2) An impact wrench will get the bolt of without spinning the crank.

I dont know if setting the wheels down with clutch and a gear engaged helps any ...

wthramann
05-15-2003, 11:24 AM
I use an impact wrench on the Accord. Impact wrench does not fit on my Subaru so I use the starter on that vehicle. I take a breaker bar add an extension and wedge it against a block of wood on the floor. Make sure you note the correct direction of rotation and disconnect the spark plug wires. It is only necessary to engage the starter for a second or two.

ACCORD EX
05-15-2003, 12:36 PM
the starter trick DON'T work in the ACCORD because of the turning direction ! so don't do it !

the tranny trick won't work either because of the differential !

the last thing > ask a friend to held a big flat screw driver in the flywheel hole against the flywheel teeth to hold it from turning !

MIKE

89RIDE
05-15-2003, 12:36 PM
I never thought about engaging the gears and stuff, i might try that. But does anyone know how much one of those impact wrenchs costs or if somebody like Pepboys or something loans them out. I realize i can call and if nobody knows then i will, just asking. Thanks

ACCORD EX
05-15-2003, 12:38 PM
damn you posted before i did ! :D look at my post ! ^^^

MIKE

wthramann
05-15-2003, 01:12 PM
Sears sells an 7.5 amp electric impact wrench for $160. http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0993510142.105 3032622@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccjladcifmgghlecehgcemgdffmdflg.0&vertical=TOOL&bidsite=&pid=00927997000
The first time I did the timing belt I went to a garage and gave the guy $5 to loosen the bolt and drove home with the bolt finger tight.

Mike, what is the direction of rotation of the belt facing the belt from the wheel well? I am amazed that the starter trick won't work.

wthramann
05-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Scott do you have a manual or automatic?

ACCORD EX
05-15-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by wthramann

Mike, what is the direction of rotation of the belt facing the belt from the wheel well? I am amazed that the starter trick won't work.

the pulley is turning counter clock wise so when you place the wrench on it , it would be like turning the nut clock wise ! :D

i bet the car you worked on had then belts on the other side ( passenger's side ! ) :)

MIKE

89RIDE
05-15-2003, 04:54 PM
I have an automatic

89RIDE
05-15-2003, 04:56 PM
and the thing is, i can't drive the car anywhere to get it loosened because the engine is in about 10 different pieces

mindlos
05-15-2003, 05:06 PM
Checker, and I assume its sister shops, has a Nokita impact wrench thats 245 lb ft of torque for $59. I cant vouch for the quality but that the one I got since I wanted an affordable one. If you have a compressor and cyclinder you can get an air one for even half that.

wthramann
05-15-2003, 05:52 PM
Thanks Mike. I found it in my service manual. I'll ask for Scott, is it possible to put the transmission in Drive(turn key to on position without starting car, foot on brake, put transmission in gear, turn off ignition), set parking brake/chock wheels and then loosen the crankshaft bolt?

ACCORD EX
05-15-2003, 11:54 PM
i don't know a lot about automotics ! :(
i don't have my Haynes right now but i think it tells how to do in both auto and manual !:)

MIKE

wthramann
05-16-2003, 05:29 AM
I do not have any experience with automatics either. My Honda manual says to put the transmission in gear and set the parking brake to torque the bolt - it does not differentiate between MT and AT. So Scott give it a try and let us know.

89RIDE
05-16-2003, 08:32 AM
I tried putting the car in gear and the pulley still moved the same as when the car was in park. Also i'm having a hard time finding this observing window because that's where i need to put the flathead screwdriver where some of you are telling me to try. Sorry for all the questions.

wthramann
05-16-2003, 08:48 AM
The timing observation window is located in the front on the passenger side of the engine at the same level as the crankshaft. There should be a rubber dustcap that pulls out. I have not used this method so I am curious how it works. The crankshaft bolt is supposed to be torqued to something like 83 Ft-Lbs so you will need to be able to exert a large amount of force.

mindlos
05-16-2003, 11:40 AM
You have to hold the screwdriver right so that it does not slip out of the teeth. When I got it right I snapped my socket extension in half coz it was overtorqued. At the same time it was a 3/8 extension so that could have bee the problem. As a result I had to get an impact and bought my buddy beers for nothing...no he helped.

89RIDE
05-16-2003, 12:01 PM
Alright, this might be a stupid question but here it goes....is there anyway to get to my head gasket without removing the timing belt. Otherwise i'll probably just do the screwdriver thing. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Peace

89RIDE
05-16-2003, 03:18 PM
this question is for anyone who's taken out this bolt before on our accords. The direction of the thread is the same as all the rest of the bolts right.....meaning right=tight....left=loose?

wthramann
05-16-2003, 05:13 PM
yes. Facing bolt from wheel well counter clockwise loosens. If it were a reverse thread then you could have used the starter.

mindlos
05-16-2003, 05:15 PM
yup. its a regular bolt. couldnt you just set the belt aside and just unbolt the upper bolts on the lower timing belt cover so that it flexes. All you wanna do is the head gasket right? You arent changing the belt at all? I've never done a head gasket but it seems like it would be possible. Any knowledgable please speak up.

mindlos
05-16-2003, 05:31 PM
I was looking at this ...

http://24.118.61.34/~mandla/engine.jpg

wthramann
05-16-2003, 06:07 PM
My service manual page 6-4, Cylinder Head Removal lists 38 steps. Step 33. Loosen(do not remove) the tensioner adjustment bolt, then remove the timing belt. It does not mention removing the crankshaft pulley so I guess it is possible to slip the belt off the camshaft pulley but you must be sure to mark everything so you realign exactly the same on installation.

95AccordEXR
05-18-2003, 03:41 AM
yes, twisting is best.

89RIDE
05-19-2003, 04:46 PM
First off, thanks for all the help you guys gave me it helped alot, but unfortunately i just found out today that my head was cracked in the first place. I took it in yesturday to get it pressured tested and they found a pretty big crack. So now my question is does anyone know of some companies that sell heads for our cars. The mechanic can get me one for $450 so i'm just going to do some research and see if i can find any for cheaper. Also i may end up just getting a head for the junkyard. Obviously that not the best option but it may be my only option. Any advise on that?

anchovies
05-19-2003, 09:49 PM
Get it from the junk yard and send it to machine shop for some p&p if you want. That should be the cheapest route.

89RIDE
05-21-2003, 04:47 PM
I found a company in California that distributes cylinder heads for all types of Hondas including our cars for $225. I'm not sure if the valves are included in that though, i'm going to call tomorrow. But if they're not is it alright to use my old valves in a new head?