PDA

View Full Version : start then stall>hot

fromerly89Exi
05-13-2003, 05:10 PM
i have no MAIN relay anymore and even still when my car is hot;ie (hot days) if i turn it off and try to start it 5 min later it will only start and stall immediatly. I have somewhat avoided this by pressing the accelerator about 1/4 down before starting it; it will start and i have to hold it at 1500rpm. While holding it at 1500, it continously is misfiring. then within 30 sec. it all goes away and runs perfectly.......... (all basic ignition components have been changed)ie cap/rotor,plugs,coil,wires.
hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

88LXi/87CRXSi
05-13-2003, 05:36 PM
Faulty ect sensor??

anchovies
05-13-2003, 10:28 PM
yeah sounds like u need a new ect sensor.

Coitis1
05-14-2003, 12:28 PM
no main relay? how'd u do that?

95AccordEXR
05-18-2003, 12:42 PM
bad ecu

Mannylove
05-19-2003, 07:07 PM
Finally, after months of dealing with this crap, I changed the sensor.
Funny thing tho, when I went to the Honda dealer, they could not recognize the ect sensor. It's some tw assy. It's the 2nd one on the thermostat.
Now I can start & stop, start & stop start & stop and start it again without having to crank and crank before it decides to turn over.
Cost me $44 bucks + tax
My 0.02 cents.

Not like a rock
06-11-2003, 03:41 PM
Mine does something similar: I have only had it for 3 weeks, and I put gas in each week. Every time I put gas in the tank and tried to start it, it would rev up to 1500 then stall. I would have to wait about 5 minutes and then it would be fine. After the first time, I changed the fuel filter but it did it again when I filled up. I filled up today with 91 octane and it still did the same thing. But I can drive it as hard and as hot as I want and it will be fine as long as I don't put gas in. Wierd.

rdn
06-21-2003, 04:10 AM
have the same prob.....(except from the re-fueling thing)...anybody has a picture of where that sensor is located?...i have 2 "wires" conected to the termostat house (one with a white socket and the other black)...which one is it?

anchovies
06-21-2003, 10:05 PM
The one closer to the head.

rdn
06-22-2003, 05:11 AM
i think i found it...the wired thig though is that i dont get any error codes...is that normal?...could the ect sensor be faulty anyway?...the lamp under the seat blinks only once and it's "silent" afterwards (saw some posts where people got error codes for bad ect's)

88LXi/87CRXSi
06-22-2003, 06:01 AM
No, the Ect sensor won't cause a code when it's failing, and causing the start problems with a warm engine. The voltage the ECU reads from the ECT is a valid voltage, just incorrect! The ecu has no way to tell if the ECT sensor is "lying" about the actual engine temp!
I'm gonna quote some stuff I found on a site www.tech2tech.net But they don't list it anymore.:(

The ECT sensor on Hondas will many times fail. The typical pattern is that they look fine at normal temperature, but go "cold" as the car approaches normal operating temperature. You can see this easily by monitoring the sensor voltage. It will start high and will be dropping towards .5 volt and then take off to a high voltage reading again. Some even will bounce around from high to low voltage. The screen capture to the left is a voltage waveform of a malfunctioning ECT sensor on a fully warmed Legend. The ECT voltage would jump from .6 to 4.5 volts.
So now the engine control module (ECM) thinks the car is cold again, when it is actually at normal operating temperature. This really does not create all that much of a problem while the car is running. The injector pulse width (PW) will only vary about .5ms from full hot to full cold.

The problem is when you cut the car off and do a restart. When the ECM "sees" a start signal and a cold signal at the same time it increases the injector PW from the normal running width of 2-3ms to as high as 100ms. A hot engine typically can not handle this much fuel, and the engine floods.

So Just replace the ECT and most likely your problem will disappear, mine did!:super:
Here's that screen capture of the ect voltsge:

Coitis1
06-22-2003, 06:34 AM
I'm glad u fixed the problem. I had the same thing for the longest time and fixed mine this week finally. It turns out that I had a couple of wires missing to some sensors and also a faulty sensor. It's great now that i don't have to worry about stopping and starting repeately.