PDA

View Full Version : brake pads rubbing???

cdscowboy
05-13-2003, 06:55 PM
I just put new rotors on this weekend, and I noticed today (since I had my windows down) that I could hear a sort of rubbing/light scraping sound that repeated and got faster as I sped up. Are my pads loose or something? I'm kinda thinking it's the retaining springs...like they've gotten worn out.

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

anchovies
05-13-2003, 10:38 PM
If the pads are not worn down to the metal indicators, then it should be fine.
Do you hear it when you step on the brakes to slow down?

cdscowboy
05-13-2003, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I hear it when I put on the brakes, too. It's not effecting my braking capacity as of yet, but the sound just bugs me, and I don't want it to progress to something more costly down the road! Thanks for the help!

anchovies
05-14-2003, 12:05 AM
It might be the dust plate or anything rubbing the rotors (I once got a leaf stuck in there and making that rubbing sound on the rotor!).
You'll have to get your hands a little dirty and and check the rotors. Take off the wheels and turn the rotors and hear where the sound is coming frmo

cdscowboy
05-14-2003, 12:28 AM
K, thanks...I'll hopefully check that tomorrow. It very well could be the dust plate. They're kinda flimsy and it could've been bent around when I was replacing the rotors or something. Thanks anchovies!

infecto
05-14-2003, 01:41 AM
Also did you replace the breaks at the same time. Could be anything stuck in there including dust from the breaks depending on how old the pads are.

greekguy7
05-14-2003, 04:26 AM
Also, check your brake hardware like the sleeves that the calipers slide on.. make sure they are free and well lubricated.

wthramann
05-14-2003, 09:02 AM
I vote for the dust plate. Don't even bother taking off the wheel. Bend the plate inward a little bit and see if that helps before spending alot of time on it. If anything jack up a wheel and spin it before and after the action.

cdscowboy
05-14-2003, 10:25 AM
No, they're still the same pads in there, I just did the rotors. My bet's on the dust plate, too, so that'll be the first thing I try.

greekguy7 - I'm not really sure what you mean by sleeves...can you clarify?? thank :)

HostileJava
05-14-2003, 10:57 AM
Do your wheels feel any hotter then normal? You don't smell anything funny, right?

Mike's89AccordLX
05-14-2003, 11:11 AM
It could be that one of the sliders is stuck on the caliper and rubbing the pad on the disc. I found out that's what mine has been doing so next wednesday is the big overhaul of EBC Sport slotted, dimpled, and vented rotors, ebc pads, cv shafts (l & r), drums, shoes, spring kit (for drums)

cdscowboy
05-14-2003, 12:00 PM
No smell that I've noticed yet, and I haven't felt my wheels yet to see if they were hot.

Mike - What do you mean by "sliders"?

Mike's89AccordLX
05-14-2003, 12:05 PM
Well each caliper has two sliders (one on top and one on the bottom) The caliper is supposed to move the left and right a little bit freely. And my passenger side caliper has a stuck bottom slider.

Immeraufdemhund
05-15-2003, 07:02 PM
my caliper was stuck too I got them replaced and it stoped that sound. But what type of sound is it? do you know what bad wheel bearings sound like, is it that maybe? I say that because you might not have noticed it because of the weather and you could have had your windows up and now that it's warming up down here you could now drive with your windows down and noticed the sound. I'd say it's dust shield too from the sounds, but i'd check the bearing also just to feel secure.

cdscowboy
05-16-2003, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I kinda shoved the dust shields back, and that appeared to solve the problem. I need to pay some more attetion to it to make sure the sound is gone, but thanks for your help guys!! I appreciate it!!!! :)