PDA

View Full Version : ultimate swap

87accordDxRocFosStyl
05-13-2003, 08:41 PM
Ok guys whats the Ultimate Swap for our cars, I dont mean a H22 or some other outrageously huge and expensive swap that will make you mad before you get it done, I mean whats a reality engine like from an Integra or a Civic or somethin close to our 3gee cars but will give a significant difference in performance like more power and torque. And if I could would I want to do it in my 87DX?

Remember this is a serious question guys Im thining of doing somethin drastic to my car but dont know what please help me as best you can guys......................:sadwave: :huh:

blazin3gen
05-13-2003, 09:02 PM
few my guess its gonna be real hard to do some sort of engine swap when u have a carb engine but i would suggest something like a b20a or somethin

87accordDxRocFosStyl
05-13-2003, 09:11 PM
why would it be hard if im gonna strip the engine bay, does it matter if its carbed or not or is there bigger carbed engine I can swap?

Grant2k
05-14-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by 87accordDxRocFosStyl
why would it be hard if im gonna strip the engine bay, does it matter if its carbed or not or is there bigger carbed engine I can swap?

you can just do a carb upgrade on your A20, or you can carb a B20, but the swap you really want is a first gen B16. they are a dime for 2 dozen and an easy 60hp. the problem is the fuel injection conversion. you have to strip the whole interior, change the gas tank, ect. look up the How To on a fuel injection convesion first to see if you are willing to do it. but if you're willing to do an engine swap i think you will be.

toastyghost
05-15-2003, 09:14 PM
um..b16a? maybe you mean b20a? :D
same horse, more torque, cheaper, and no special pri shit needed

CARBurn
05-15-2003, 09:21 PM
DOHC carbed b18a. Similar to the b20a but smaller displacement. Get to keep your carb and not convert to EFI or like the previous post you can go with the b20a by just swaping the intake and use a weber 38/38 or 36/32.

Immeraufdemhund
05-16-2003, 07:01 AM
what about the fuel pump wouldn't there be too much presure going to your carb if you have a efi pump? And the b18a what did those come in?

CARBurn
05-16-2003, 09:31 PM
Reading the FAQs, if you were converting from Carb to EFI you would have to change the fuel pump, but if you are going to swap a B20a in a DX/LX and swap the carb intake you won't need to change the fuel pump since you are still running on a carburetor not EFI. Rcracer and Accordsi are the only ones I can think of right now that have done such a conversion with the B20a. Both were running the engine with a weber carburetor.

As for the B18A, it was found in 3rd Generation Accords in Japan, alongs side the B20A.

toastyghost
05-19-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by CARBurn
...you can go with the b20a by just swaping the intake and use a weber 38/38 or 36/32.

OR TWIN 45's :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

87accordDxRocFosStyl
05-22-2003, 08:17 AM
Cool thanks guys but now that my 3gees destroyed I dont need the info, but maybe my friend who just got a 87 lx-i can use this info so keep talkin please.

wickedaccord
05-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by toastyghost
um..b16a? maybe you mean b20a? :D
same horse, more torque, cheaper, and no special pri shit needed

same horse?? *BUZZZZZZZ* wrong.. sorry but the b16 makes more power than the b20a. how do i know? well at the last so cal meet.. the b20a in a 3geez was recently dynoed and only generated around 135hp to the wheels.. that was with I/H/E and ignition system. although the b20a was running on the a20 ecu.. i SERIOUSLY doubt the original b20a ecu will even make it to 160hp to the wheels. if anything.. only 140 at the most.

otherwise,.. my friends del sol with a b16 I/H/E did 162hp to the wheels. as for torque.. i forgot wat the b20a did., but ur gonna have to PM BOLINKXR for that. as for the torque on the b16.. it did 111lb of torque to the wheels up at 6500rpm.

jus thought u all should know the facts of a b16 and b20 in comparison... and yes, in overall.. the b20 is the best for saving urself money.. i dont know about the headache part though......

:bow: jon

Trowa
05-22-2003, 10:17 PM
So if B20 only make 135ish Hp, why is it that everywhere it says 160 Hp
What about the guys here that did the swap for the B20A, how much Hp and torque do u guys have, did any of u get the cars dynoed after the swap?

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
05-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Trowa
So if B20 only make 135ish Hp, why is it that everywhere it says 160 Hp
What about the guys here that did the swap for the B20A, how much Hp and torque do u guys have, did any of u get the cars dynoed after the swap?

135whp..

Trowa
05-22-2003, 11:51 PM
ok then, and how does whp compare to hp?
if the A20A is what... 110 hp, what would be the whp?

Trowa
05-23-2003, 10:53 AM
Also how is it possible for B16 to be more powerfull then b20 if they are suppose to have same hp and b20 has more torque?
Maybe i'm missing on something here...

CARBurn
05-23-2003, 11:43 AM
ok then, and how does whp compare to hp?
if the A20A is what... 110 hp, what would be the whp?

The A20a EfI (86-87) is making 110 hp at the wheels, but at the fly wheel it is making approximately 147 hp. Whp(wheel horse power) is the power made @ the flywheel minus 15% what is loss through the drivetrain.

A true b20a with everything stock would be able to put out 160 at the wheels but running off the a20a ecu it is not getting optimal power.

If you had a stand alone ecu for the b20a then the dyno results might be different...does anyone else agree?

wickedaccord
05-23-2003, 11:54 AM
wheel hp is the power that is actually being put to the ground.. the flywheel hp is basically the power before being transfered to the wheels.. basically said.. FLYWHEEL HP. it is true that the b20 will do 160flywheel hp.. but putting it down to the wheels?? NOPE! and like i said.. overall.. the b20a is the cheapest route to go if u want to save a lot of money. saving money and still able to go faster than wat u have now.

as for y the b16 is faster.. well.. simple.. vtec.. and high end hp.. not only that. that b16 in particular is newer. not every engine is going to put out the same hp. if u guys read magazines.. go check out the new HONDA TUNING magazine. there is a del sol in there with a b16 also.. FULLY BUILT FROM BOTTOM TO TOP WITH SKUNK2 INTAKE MANIFOLD.. and he does 157whp and 109lbs of torque.. i was like.. WTF!! this guys engine sucks!! cuz my friends del sol did 162whp at the dyno.

as for the a20a3.. we did have an a20a3 dynoed also.. SOCAL3RDGEN's accord. he had i/e catback. he actually did a solid 118whp. i dont know the tq becuz i didnt ask. but he made 118 all the way up to 6100rpm i believe. remember, this is the lxi engine and not carbed. unfortunately we didnt get a carb engine up on the dyno.

ok so wheel hp is basically better to have.. but ive been told by my tuner that wheel hp mesurement is not good to give. y? becuz wheel hp changes all the time depending on the rims and tires u use. larger tires will make u loose wheel hp.. even wider rims will make u loose wheel hp.. or jus having wider tires will make u loose wheel hp. so imagine the combinations of those when u dyno for wheel hp.. it's not going to come out to wat u like. so sometimes seeing flywheel hp is better for that fact. flywheel hp never changes regardless of wat size rim or tires u have on.

ps. search for my post of COST OF GSR SWAP. that way u get an idea of how much a b16 may cost u

Trowa
05-23-2003, 11:56 AM
Kool, so the problem with that dudes car was that he was running the A20A ecu and not the B20A, kool

Cause I'm thinking of putting a B20 into my car and if it did only put out 135ish whp, it'd be a waste of several thousand for only 25 hp increase.

wickedaccord
05-23-2003, 12:01 PM
yea, it's not bad at all really. and like i said.. the original ecu will not make it go past 140whp now. that's at the most. ofcourse i hope trevor and joel comes back down so we can dyno again. i need to redyno my car again since i got an ICEMAN and MANDREL BENT COMPLETE EXHAUST. hope that was some good info for u.. late

:bow: Jon

Trowa
05-23-2003, 12:04 PM
Yep, thx, it was very informational =)

Trowa
05-23-2003, 12:20 PM
One more thing wickedaccord,
if u had a choise to either do a b20 swap or a b16 swap, which one would u go with? regerdless of the money, cause the B16 swap is still not THAT expensive.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
05-23-2003, 12:46 PM
One more thing wickedaccord,
if u had a choise to either do a b20 swap or a b16 swap, which one would u go with? regerdless of the money, cause the B16 swap is still not THAT expensive.

damm I missed all the Good Stuff. Good Sh*T jon...Hey Jon how does the car feel with the new mods? Just curious.. As for the trowa question.. Read what he wrote..I would say the B18c1..But if u want , I have some articles jon gave about diffrent set ups ( B18 & B16 ) .. I will be glad to foward them to you..They are helpful

Trowa
05-23-2003, 01:38 PM
that would be great, the articles=)
i'm just trying to get as much info as possible, so that once i actually have the money i can just go right ahead and do it=)

Thx for all the feedback as well.

wickedaccord
05-23-2003, 01:48 PM
thanks matt.. as matt said.. the best set up would be the GSR. unless u dont care and have money to wipe ur ass with.. then do a CRVTEC.. that's the best bang for the buck swap. but doing a crvtec means resleeving and everything possible. otherwise, the GSR is the best set up to go with. and always keep in mind that i bump out 185whp with a STOCK HEAD. no port and polish. i dont plan on porting and polishing either.. jus a TYPE R head that i will be putting on soon with a type R flywheel. if anything, at the end of the year ill be re-sleeving with BENSON SLEEVES, over bore it to 2.0 and fullybuilt the bottom end for liability.

and if money isnt an issue.. go with the GSR setup. like i said before.. i have a thread of an actual GSR swap cost. read it, it'll help u understand more of this swap. late
thanks again matt