PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Fan not kicking in???

greekguy7
05-14-2003, 04:35 AM
Only when stuck in traffic, my temp gauge creeps up but the cooling fan wont kick in... I am forced to turn the heater on so I can get the engine temperature down so I wont damage the engine.

The thing is that the fan DOES turn on and runs for about 15 minutes like its supposed to when hot once I turn the car OFF, so it seems that the car DOES know that its hot.

My question is whats preventing the fan from turning on when idling hot, but it works fine once the car is shut off??

All is fine otherwise... any ideas would help. Thanks!

mindlos
05-14-2003, 06:04 AM
It wouldnt hurt to change the thermostat and see what happens. Maybe its getting stuck closed. Its also the cheapo fix. Could also be the thermosensor in the radiator.

First, make sure all air is bled from the system and fluids are topped up coz that will prevent coolant from flowing sometimes.

rideredorgohome
05-14-2003, 06:07 AM
I would maybe replace the fan switch and see what that does. If that doesn't work tell us and we might have a different suggestion.

greekguy7
05-14-2003, 06:48 AM
I already replaced the thermostat, the switch in the bottom of the radiator, the coolant and bled the system.

Anyone know of a cooling fan timer circuit inside the box underneath the passenger seat?

AccordSi
05-14-2003, 10:35 AM
Have you tried grounding the switch so that the fan stays on all the time? If that happens then you'll know the problem as the switch or the fuse.

greekguy7
05-14-2003, 10:41 AM
If I short out the fan switch at the bootom of the radiator, the fan turns on like it should. I replaced the switch already. Its possible that this switch is in fact also bad, BUT the fan DOES turn on by itself just fine once I shut the car off and would run for 15 minutes or so if the car is hot like it should. I am stumped!!

88LXi/87CRXSi
05-14-2003, 02:17 PM
The fan coming on when you short the temp switch on the rad means the motor, fuse and fan relay are ok. It's either the temp switch is defective or the thermostat is defective and not letting the hot water circulate to the switch. Do both upper and lower radiator hoses get warm, along with the radiator? Then it's the switch.

Anyone know of a cooling fan timer circuit inside the box underneath the passenger seat?

Ok, from what I understand, when you shut off your car(LXi/SEi), if temp switch B (located on the T-stat housing) is above 228°F(108°C) the timer under the seat runs the condenser fan for that 15 min. or till the temp at sensor B drops below 214°F(101°C). That system seems to working OK.

87DX
05-14-2003, 08:59 PM
Good to see someone that's in the same boat as I am!

I left the car running outside for a solid 20 minutes. (About 60 Degree Weather) And the fan didn't kick in.

Thus it over heated.

I already changed the thermostat. How do I check
the radiator fan thermo switch? (There have been
touches on it throughout the tread, but I don't quite get it)

Cheers,

Bob

Also, I have the weber carb... If that has anything to do with it?

anchovies
05-14-2003, 10:30 PM
Okie, you sure the fan is not coming on when idling? Or did you just look at the temp gauge and think that it's not coming on?
If it's the latter, then it might be a faulty temp sender.

87DX, your's a carb, so you only have one temp switch at the bottom of the radiator. Unplug the socket and jump the 2 wires together. Just use some short wires or paper clip and push it in the socket. Then turn your key to ON. If fan turns on, fan/relay is okie. It's the temp switch that is faulty.

wikkedv15
05-15-2003, 03:50 AM
ok well i know my fan is fubared... how much do he fan runs..
1. new
2.junkyard
??

greekguy7
05-15-2003, 04:16 AM
MOST of the time, the fan switch in the bottom of the radiator is to blame... $20 at Auto Zone.

I already replaced mine though.... AND mine does turn on wjen the engine is hot, but only AFTER the car is shut off... no ideas?? I think I am missing something here... it is fine otherwise.

87DX
05-15-2003, 01:04 PM
anchovies,

thanks, I'll try that.

I seriously love this site. It's saved me SO much money and time!

You guys are awsome!

87DX
05-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Sweet.

So I interrupted your directions like this - I took a piece of 12 gauge wire and inserted both ends into the plug (One wire in each connection) into the female end of the socket plug. Turned on my car and NOTHING.

I checked the fuse, that's fine.

Does this mean my fan took a crap? If so how much $$ are they?

Cheers,

Bob

88LXi/87CRXSi
05-15-2003, 05:54 PM
I could be wrong on this stuff, since I'm going by the 87-88 troubleshooting manual, and not first-hand knowledge, but it shows that the carb has a fan relay and that there are 2 fuses to check. Fuse #9 in the dash fusebox and fuse #12 (and fan relay) in the underhood fuse box.
If you have a meter or test light check for 12v at the connector going to the fan motor or run 2 leads with 12v to the motor.
Just wanted to mention the relay and the other fuses.

greekguy7
05-19-2003, 04:33 AM
Well, I replaced the fan switch in the bottom of the radiator with one I got from the junkyard and now the fan is working fine. Thanks!! I guess the one I got from Auto Zone was not spec'd out correctly.

I guess for coolant temp switches and cooling sensors, we better off buying from the dealer. (I had a similar problem with a coolant temp sensor for a temp gauge on a 88 Grand Prix a while back)

mindlos
05-19-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by 87DX
Sweet.

So I interrupted your directions like this - I took a piece of 12 gauge wire and inserted both ends into the plug (One wire in each connection) into the female end of the socket plug. Turned on my car and NOTHING.

I checked the fuse, that's fine.

Does this mean my fan took a crap? If so how much $$ are they?

Cheers,

Bob

you still need to find out if you are getting 12 volts to the fan. Even if the fuse is okay there may be a break in the line. Get a voltmeter.

mindlos
05-19-2003, 06:36 AM
You could also hook the fans directly to the battery to eleminate wiring issues.

rideredorgohome
05-19-2003, 07:01 AM
I guess for coolant temp switches and cooling sensors, we better off buying from the dealer. (I had a similar problem with a coolant temp sensor for a temp gauge on a 88 Grand Prix a while back) [/B][/QUOTE]

This makes a case for OEM parts, I always buy OEM Honda parts whenever the prices aren't totally out to lunch. Think of all the time and frustration you could've saved yourself...... JMO

POS carb
05-19-2003, 09:30 AM
don't LXi's have seperate cooling fan computers? or timers for each fan?
I'll look in my manual it's probably a bad timer

anchovies
05-19-2003, 09:55 PM
yeah lxi's have 2 fan switches (one bottom of rad another on the thermostate housing)...they control the fan at different temps

and yes..please buy oem/dealer switch/sensors. Some of those aftermarket ones are off temp.