PDA

View Full Version : flipped lid + K&N vs. short ram intake?

rehv_Aerodeck86
05-14-2003, 04:51 AM
i'm wondering if there's a big difference in performance between:

1) flipped lid + K&N filter

and

2) Civic airbox + short ram with a cone filter (like Mindlos and many other has).

last one should be better, but i want to keep somehow the option to attach the hot air induction (in winter here is up to -30 C, so it helps the carb not to freeze and warm up faster - more mpgi, I think). when i use the stock box + flipped lid with a K&N filter, i can unflip the lid in a minute, when it's getting cold in winter.

What do you guys think - is the hot air inducion needed or should i go with civic SR intake without any major problems?

ACCORD EX
05-14-2003, 10:30 AM
i think teh cone filter is less ristrictive ! but i don't know ! :rolleyes:

MIKE

rehv_Aerodeck86
05-14-2003, 11:24 AM
hm...
k&n is also low restrictive and 360 degrees air intake in a flipped-lid situation. theoratically k&n should have a higher cfm, cuz its area is bigger?

mindlos
05-14-2003, 12:19 PM
Keyword being BIG, gives you a a big fat NO. Some difference? Probably some. You may have to write a Masters or Doctrate thesis to convince somebody. As long as you know your variables you know your pros and cons, and their relative significance.

Dont count on surface area being more on a stock shaped filter versus a conical either. Some are conicals indeed small but you can do some integration to figure an identical conical to the stock shape.

And if you got an el cheapo conical made like a stock filter it could be low flow. Material is key here.

Furthermore it depends on how you mount your SR. Even if not a true CAI that goes to the front of the car you could direct it to a spot that will give a tremendous air temp advantage compare to a FL, especially if the filter is not located along the hood line where there's more likely to be dead air, thus hotter.

Obviously pipe size figures into the equation. Sucking slow moving air in a big box that doesnt direct air in a certain direction can also be less efficient due to too much convection. Once air is moving in a tube it pulls more air. You could even have some velocity stack close to the carb.

As you see I didnt set out to answer your question with a definitive answer. It really depends and what you do as to what you will get and whether you see any benefit in the first place.

rehv_Aerodeck86
05-14-2003, 01:35 PM
thx mindlos & ACCORD EX, i think i'll go with cai or sr then. i'll see what happens when it's -30 C outside :)