PDA

View Full Version : Help!

rideredorgohome
05-14-2003, 05:11 AM
I need some help with a smoking problem with my car. On cold start in the morning it smokes like the devil, but otherwise it is ok, it doesn't burn otherwise as far as I know. It also does not smoke when I start it later on in the day, when it is cold. It only seems to be a problem when it sits overnight. Any suggestions?:(

Sabz5150
05-14-2003, 06:04 AM
Sounds like valve seals to me. They're cheap and relatively easy to replace if you're cool with taking apart your valvetrain.

Grant2k
05-14-2003, 06:22 AM
what color is the smoke? if it's blueish greyish then i'd say it's your valves seals. but my car smokes white on cold mornings and i know i have a tiny leak in the head gasket. i hate to think about that.

rideredorgohome
05-14-2003, 05:31 PM
ok, well either way, if I do the valve seals, I might as well do a head gasket right? I hope that will solve the problem. How much more of a tear down is it to do that if I have to do timing belt and water pump as well? The smoke is sort of greyish/whitish.

Grant2k
05-14-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by rideredorgohome
ok, well either way, if I do the valve seals, I might as well do a head gasket right? I hope that will solve the problem. How much more of a tear down is it to do that if I have to do timing belt and water pump as well? The smoke is sort of greyish/whitish.
NO! the valve seals are A LOT easier to do and a lot less work than the head gasket. it's not a situation of "while i'm in here i may as well...." a head gasket is a big job. for the valve seals you just have to take out the rockers, cam, and other valve train components. for the head gasket you have to take off the head of course which involves taking off the intake and exhaust manifolds. but while doing the seals is a good time to do the water pump and timing belt like you said.

blazin3gen
05-14-2003, 07:13 PM
i thought all cars smoked in the morning my 3gee does so does my bros t-bird but it usually stops within like 2-3 mins

ACCORD EX
05-15-2003, 12:42 AM
couldn't it be something to do with the carb ? choke ? well my dad's car used to do that and it was a fucked up muffeler ! :rolleyes:

MIKE