PDA

View Full Version : car starting hard then stalls??

AD9SloAccrd
05-14-2003, 04:07 PM
after i drive my car for a little bit and shut it off, say an hour later i go back out, my car starts a little hard and when it starts it stays on for a few seconds, then stalls out....:mad: but then when i go to start it again it starts up fine and no problems after that :wtf:

DanG86LX
05-14-2003, 08:25 PM
Flooded? like u havto open throttle to start it?

ACCORD EX
05-15-2003, 01:12 AM
what have you changed in your car ?

MIKE

AD9SloAccrd
05-15-2003, 05:53 AM
i haven't changed a thing on my car, but sometimes it won't start so i have to pump the gas pedal a little bit and then it will start up... sometimes it will stall and sometimes it won't

ACCORD EX
05-15-2003, 12:43 PM
tune up ! fuel filters , air filter , spark plugs , spark plug wires , check cap and rotor , engine oil , oil filter !

MIKE

AD9SloAccrd
05-15-2003, 06:07 PM
it doesn't make any sense.... i bought this car from a friend and it was his moms car. whenever anything was wrong they took it in right away found the problem and had it fixed. he has replaced so many things on the car within the past year such as: major tune-up, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributer cap, oil change, air filter, fuel filter, new windshield (doesn't mean much about how the car runs), a new gas tank, and so much more. this guy took really good care of the car, he even had it rust proofed when he first bought it brand new, which helped a little, but you know how honda rust is...

A20A1
05-15-2003, 10:26 PM
well we're suggesting you check all the normal things on your car before we can progress to other possible problems.

I mean we want to knock the simple things out of the way so we don't start suggesting more involved car repairs and you ending up doing the work for nothing.

AD9SloAccrd
05-16-2003, 12:22 PM
today i had no problem starting it this morning, before and after school..... also i felt like a fricken jackass because i locked my keys in my car -->kick in face lol

scandalcat1
05-18-2003, 02:11 PM
The throttle suggestion makes sense. But it can also be the fuel pump and/or relay. When the fuel pump starts giving, it becomes intermittent for a little bit before it stops pumping.
If it is the relay, have it tested (not by SPARKS!). Make sure that nothing is shorted under the rug where the relay wires run to the back.
And also as previously posted, check both fuel filters and also vacuum hoses for cracking and/or leaks

ACCORD EX
05-19-2003, 08:05 AM
carbed = no relay ! :)

MIKE

scandalcat1
05-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Hey Mr. Mike
Here is the LINK:
http://www3.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0d/09/07/0900823d800d0907.jsp
AND HERE IS THE REST IF THE LINK DOES NOT WORK...
In-Tank Fuel Pumps

Turn the ignition OFF.

On the Accord, remove the screws securing the underdash fuse box to its mount. Remove the fuel cut-off relay from the back of the fuse block and turn the block so you can see the relay mount. Use a jumper wire to connect the two left-most terminals of the relay mount (terminal 1 to terminal 2).

On Preludes, remove the dashboard under cover; remove the fuel cut-off relay from the fuse block. Use a jumper wire to connect the top 2 terminals (terminals 1 and 2) of the relay mount.

Disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter in the engine compartment. Connect a pressure gauge to the fuel line.

Turn the ignition key ON until pressure on the gauge stabilizes, then turn the key OFF.

Pressure should be between 2.6-3.3 psi (18-22.7 kPa). If the pressure shown is below minimum, the pump must be replaced. If pressure is at least minimum, continue with the test.

Remove the pressure gauge from the fuel line; hold the line in a quart container. Have an assistant turn the ignition switch ON for 60 seconds, then shut it OFF.

Fuel flow in 60 seconds must be at least 25.7 oz. (760 cc).

If fuel pump volume is below specification, the pump must be replaced.

Remove the jumper wire at the fuse block. Reinstall the fuel cut-off relay. Reinstall the fuse block on its mount.

any questions?

scandalcat1
05-19-2003, 03:29 PM
And again...
I guess assuming that some people on the board know which fuel pump relay (being the cutoff and common knowledge) on the LX Carb is the one I am talking about, I apologize and will never assume on this board again, only be clear, concise, consistent and best of all specific.