PDA

View Full Version : Difference between wet and dry NOS?

4DoorAccordDX
05-15-2003, 08:11 AM
What is the difference? I was reading some pasts posts on hooking up NOS to a carbed engine, and I am curious if anyone has more info on how to hook it up? I have been toying with the idea, but it is definetely a ways off if I decide to try it. Also, what would I have have to do internally? Could I leave the internals alone if I just used a small shot of NOS or is it a "must do" upgrade whether it's a little or a lot? But I mostly want to know what the difference between a wet and dry system is.

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

2-Knee

bobafett
05-15-2003, 08:30 AM
from what i have gathered. its good to have I/H/E like you already do.

as long as you keep a reasonable jet size you should be ok.
obviously engine internals would help make more power and keep the engine alive longer, but i dont think they are NEEDED.

Sabz5150
05-15-2003, 08:32 AM
Dry nitrous delivers only nitrous when you press the button, meaning that your engine's fuel system has to compensate for the ungodly lean state that it's about to be thrown in. Wet nitrous delivers fuel along with the nitrous to correct the aforementioned lean situation.

You'd have to get the opinion of someone who actually sprays their engine as to whether stock internals can handle it. I'd say that up to about a 40 shot, your internals are fine... any more and you'd best beef them up.

OldSchoolSwap
05-15-2003, 10:36 AM
Ok, here's my blaber mouth on nitrous again :D

First of all, how is your engine running? Your motor HAS to be in PERFECT CONDITIONS in order to spray.

Two, you cannot go dry, dry systems are for EFI motors, it uses a "Y" fitting to increas injector fuel pressure to prep your motor with fuel before N2O is introduced.

The only nitrous application is a wet "fogger" kit. Not sure about direct port, i think its possible but i don't know how carbs would do it.

Internals do not have to be upgraded with a small portion of nitrous, such as 40 to 50 shot. Other members have gone higher, but engine life and wear will be the victims for such abuse on stock interals.

Further more, you should do all the bolt on's possible before adding nitrous. I think of this as "inssurance" to cover all your bases before giving it the extra "bang"! This will ensure that your engine doesn't fail.
You should upgrade the following if you havent:

I/H/E
Ignition = plugs (step colder), wires, coil, MSD and so forth....
Fuel = performance fuel pump, regulator and change your dirty fuel filter!!!

4DoorAccordDX
05-15-2003, 07:08 PM
I have added a few bolt ons already. I have a custom CAI, Accel coil, and I have a Pacesetter header on it's way. I also have a hi-flow cat and 2.25in exhaust. I'm planning on a cam a little ways down the road. What do you mean by a step colder with the plugs? Is that only when NOS is hooked up or is that good for just daily driving as well? With a fogger system, would it be possible to hook it up in a way that it just shoots NOS into my intake somewhere and then get sucked in through my carb and distributed that way, or is that not possible?

2-Knee

OldSchoolSwap
05-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by 4DoorAccordDX
I have added a few bolt ons already. I have a custom CAI, Accel coil, and I have a Pacesetter header on it's way. I also have a hi-flow cat and 2.25in exhaust. I'm planning on a cam a little ways down the road. What do you mean by a step colder with the plugs? Is that only when NOS is hooked up or is that good for just daily driving as well? With a fogger system, would it be possible to hook it up in a way that it just shoots NOS into my intake somewhere and then get sucked in through my carb and distributed that way, or is that not possible?

2-Knee
When i mean a step colder i mean, by the numbers, Example, the plugs coldest OEM recomendation could be RBC6Y, so you'd get p/n: RBC7Y . As you can see, the higher the number the colder the plug will be. This actually helps disipate heat and prevent detonation (blowing your motor). Yes you could run your motor with a step colder plug, you'd probably loose 1/2 a horse on N/A but will save your ASS on nitrous ;)

With that said..... i'm not familiar with carb set up's, so i don't want to bragg about it to much. I belive some carb set up's have a plate right next to your carb along with a Nitrous jet and an extra fuel jet to spray both Nitrous and fuel down your carb.

Anyhow, please check my website for pictures and more info and links.