PDA

View Full Version : Cheap FI Mods ?

shepherd79
04-30-2002, 01:20 PM
hi everybody,
Does anyone know anything about electric supercharger?
Who makes them?
do they really work?
Does anyone have one?
I just want to read about it. It seems that if someone asking about turbo word electric supercharger comes up everytime.
i want to see what is this thing is all about.
thanks alot a guys.

RCracer
04-30-2002, 01:39 PM
Hi
the eletric turbo or turbo-zet as one make is called in the uk was tested by one of the performance magazines not that long ago and they gave it the total thumbs down by saying it was a waste of money and didnt make any diferance to the dyno readings from the car it was tested on at all.

They also tested a after market abs kit and that was found to be a waste of money too. All the after market abs system was is a sphere containing a diaphram and some gas put into the brake line and when the brakes were aplied hard it compressed the gas in the sphere thus preventing wheel lock by reducing pressure.
The conclusion was it would probably be easier and cheaper to not bleed all the air out of the brakes:p :D :p :D :p :D

Its amazing what rubbish some people think that car drivers will buy if they put the word turbo onto it hehe;)

Paul

87accordlxi
04-30-2002, 01:44 PM
electric supercharger? HA!

Jims 86LXI HB
05-30-2002, 12:55 AM
:huh: lmfao
:huh: ???

POS carb
05-31-2002, 04:55 PM
umm electric superchargers DO EXIST and they DO WORK, you just have to make sure you're getting a REAL one and not one of these stupid "tornado"-type things that you see on infomercials. A real electric supercharger requires an enormous ammount of current though, and I feel it is an extermely inefficient method to supercharge. Think about it. For an electric supercharger to work you need to turn a huge alternator to make the current to spin the supercharger (engine Kinetic energy to electricity in the alternator then back to kinetic energy in the supercharger). For a normal supercharger a belt or driveshaft transfers kinetic energy DIRECTLY to the supercharger and there isn't the added heat (electrical resistance, burning alernators) or the danger of a 1000 amp short circuit. Fuck man imagine how much it would cost to replace a 1000+ amp alternator on an electrically supercharged car (Doesn't the Lincoln LS use one?)

carobotics
06-01-2002, 09:14 PM
you wouldn't need a 1000+ amp altenator. You would only need a 1000 amp battery. It would only super charge when you stomp on it wouldn't it? Then the battery would charge when you are cruiseing or idleing. And yes, there are effective ones. Expensive buggers though. Some get up to 12 pounds of boost.

tyne89
06-01-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by POS carb
Doesn't the Lincoln LS use one?

nah ford is too cheap even on their lincolns. i think the lightnings and some thunderbirds were the only things they ever supercharged. now maybe if there were a rousch or stallen (cant spell sorry) LS those might be supercharged. :D

s0crates82
06-02-2002, 12:45 AM
jim...

lmfao

laughing
my
fuggin
ass
off

netfreak
08-21-2002, 09:54 PM
Not gonna bother with a poll so just post your reply...

Ok I have a super secret mod I thought of doing but I'm starting to get second thoughts. I won't reveal what it is, but here are the facts: 1) it PROBABLY won't do anything performance wise 2) I've never seen it done to a 3rd gen 3) it is relatively cheap

I'll admit it is borderline rice i think, but at least I can say it's original and unique. I already have most of the required parts and the rest won't cost much at all. I can always remove it too if it really doesn't turn out.

SO... Should I go for it? I think it would look hella cool but like I said I don't forsee any performance gains. To give you an idea of cost: spent $35 on another mod which also provides parts for this one, and will cost me another $15 or so to complete (CDN funds too).

POS carb
08-21-2002, 10:11 PM
just do it. :deal:

pimp86LX
08-21-2002, 10:12 PM
tell me what it is....:wave:

netfreak
08-21-2002, 10:16 PM
I can't tell! I can't reveal my other mod now because it would be sooo easy to guess.

BTW if anyone does want to guess it, PM me and you might get a response :D

night
08-21-2002, 10:59 PM
so..... wtf is the point in this post :confused:

netfreak
08-21-2002, 11:04 PM
Trouble reading?

A20A1
08-21-2002, 11:23 PM
hmm it's not shooting compressed air into the TB or down the carb is it? cause I've been there done that... I also tried propane.

netfreak
08-21-2002, 11:25 PM
Lol! Nope as far as I know this will cause no damage. It also isn't particularily crazy either.

A20A1
08-21-2002, 11:36 PM
hurmph! lol, I can't give an opinion if ya don't tell us what it is.

I'm gonna have to make my own super secret mod... then we can trade. :D

netfreak
08-21-2002, 11:45 PM
Argh.. It really is a tough call. I've never kept a secret in my life so it would be good to finally do this and have it as a surprise at the end but then again I do kinda want some good feedback on it, preferrably before I do it.

A20A1
08-21-2002, 11:47 PM
I love surprises... I used to work on my car everynight just so i could surprise my friends with a newmod the next day.

87_2LSi_au
08-22-2002, 12:00 AM
Is it a sticker??

netfreak
08-22-2002, 12:36 AM
No it is not a sticker :p

Well I think I'll go for it and hopefully I won't get any bad criticism when it's complete...

87_2LSi_au
08-22-2002, 12:41 AM
Is it fluffy dice hanging of your rear view mirror?? lol

anchovies
08-22-2002, 12:44 AM
neon fluffy dice??

netfreak
08-22-2002, 12:44 AM
Hahaha I raced a 4th gen prelude with those... he also had a huge wing.

BTW nope..

Site
08-22-2002, 05:15 AM
Go for it. Obviously you've put some thought to this, plus some time and $. Carry through with it and give it a chance - originality rocks!

1988starter
08-22-2002, 09:44 AM
Doo it Doo it NOW

netfreak
08-22-2002, 10:05 AM
Hoping I'll have this support after everyone finds out what it is :D

Today I'm completing the other mod which is required for the secret one. I have to wait until next friday before I do this mod, as I have run out of money.

bobafett
08-22-2002, 10:23 AM
damnit! just tell me, i love secret mod ideas....

does it have anything to do with the push button ignition mod?

if you feel like cracking please email me or pm me with the details~!

netfreak
08-22-2002, 10:30 AM
Nope that's just another mod I have in progress, which makes 3 in progress, two of which are basically the same thing. I'll have everything completed hopefully by next weekend (not this weekend).

Defiant[YD]
08-22-2002, 06:18 PM
I....... MUST....... KNOW!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:
BRAIN........ OVER.....LOAD!!! :werd:

Jims 86LXI HB
08-22-2002, 08:48 PM
Yeah I can read, but I find it erks me more about not knowing than it drives me towards saying ya or na. SO WHAT THE HELL IS IT DAMMIT:crying: :stick:

night
08-22-2002, 09:57 PM
hence why i call this a stupid post.

if i say there is a girl that wants to have sex with me all night and come here and ask yall if i should what do you think you will ask ??

i'm willing to bet what she looks like would be #1.

its :gay: to ask for ppl's opinions on something they have no idea wtf they are giving an opinion on.

sanjay
08-22-2002, 10:11 PM
man just do it and tell us wtf it is. Don't wory about orginality. Its not as though people are going to say - "ohh but i already saw that mod in Australia"./..

netfreak
08-23-2002, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by night
its :gay: to ask for ppl's opinions on something they have no idea wtf they are giving an opinion on.

se·cret
adj.
1) Kept hidden from knowledge or view; concealed.

Welcome to English. Would you like a guided tour? Your comparison also lacks relevance as many of us do not lock our girlfriends in a garage while we get her ready for the final presentation and the grand surprise showing.

Oh what the hell I might as well spill the beans... My project is a dual exhaust. I still have to work out details regarding placement of a 2nd muffler and where I can split the piping. Right now it'll be a simple hack job, and will be completely re-done when I get good cat-back exhaust.

Defiant[YD]
08-23-2002, 05:39 PM
dual exhaust? like the ones u see on the newer V6 accords right? wow, it's all for show right?

netfreak
08-23-2002, 05:55 PM
Yeah basically for show. I know it won't do squat for performance but it would be interesting to have a dual exhaust 3g.

A20A1
08-23-2002, 05:57 PM
sorry dude... I'm gonna have to post this.

bobafett
08-23-2002, 05:58 PM
i dunno. maybe if your car hauled ass it wouldnt be so bad. i dont know what performance mods you have, so maybe it would be justified to have a dual exhaust, but if i were to have it, i would think it was rice, even though my only mods are to the engine!~ lol...

then again it would be original, and that would be cool to see!

netfreak
08-23-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
sorry dude... I'm gonna have to post this.

???

bobafett: Yeah it will be a little odd right now but eventually I will be getting a b16a with some serious mods.

SteveDX89
08-23-2002, 06:16 PM
I think it would probably look pretty cool. Be sure to make a cutout in the bumper so it matches the other side. If it's cheap and you can take it off, do it to see what it looks like. Don't like, take it off.

A20A1
08-23-2002, 06:51 PM
http://a5.cpimg.com/image/B5/60/12287925-ba62-01F4017A-.jpg

it's been done before... but still it would look cool:D

bobafett
08-23-2002, 07:01 PM
ooh i like that cars taillights, i really like the blacked out look!

dual exhaust does kinda look cool, i hate how far the tips stick out though. mine sticks out flush with the very back of the bumper and it drives me insane~ i almost want to take a hacksaw to the damn thing!

Coroncho80
08-23-2002, 08:19 PM
Yo, that car look kool but the dawm stickers gotta go!!!!!!!!!!! :rice: and regarding the two mufflers................. would you have any power left after all the pressure comes out the two mufflers? I love the way it looks on the 1999 accords V6. Hey guys, i was cleaning the interior of my car today and i took the two front seats off and i noticed two vacumm hoses underneath each seat, what da heck could they do? maybe they're part of the ventilation system or something? I like the way the tail lights look like. I WANT THEM ON MY CAR!!!!! how did he do that? does anybody knows?

damackz
08-23-2002, 10:32 PM
used a product such as VHT nite shades and sprayed it on his tails, pretty eazy to do and fairly cheap, mines have juss the top sprayed and tha bottom is red

A20A1
08-24-2002, 03:45 AM
vacuum under the seat? are you sure it's not brake lines?

Coroncho80
08-24-2002, 11:49 AM
no dude. Two vacum hoses under each seat! must be an SEi thing............ lol

night
08-24-2002, 12:01 PM
so the big secret was a dual muffler :rolleyes:

ChronoDX87
08-26-2002, 06:20 PM
those 2 vacum hoses.. are for hydrolic seats.. i believe SEi ..
i seen them in Boneyard lol

SNOrida813
08-26-2002, 09:41 PM
Awww poop, too bad you revealed the ULTRA SECRET MOD. I was gonna guess it was a hairy dildo strapped to your seat so you could have it up your ass everytime you drove.

A20A1
08-26-2002, 11:20 PM
dude hydros on seat... is it for lumbar support.... wait a sec... there is another "*THIS POST UNDER ADMINISTRATION REVIEW*" this guy must have problems...

anyways whats the hydros for? automatic reclining?

sanjay
08-26-2002, 11:24 PM
I thought i';ve seen a dual exhaust on a 3G before... nice one A20A1

jay
08-27-2002, 03:15 PM
oh... i was hoping for a talking LED console like in Knight Rider. :p

CASH24
08-27-2002, 10:53 PM
I'VE SEEN DUAL EXHAUST ON A COUPLE 3GEEZ DOWN HERE AND I THINK IT LOOKS PRETTY GOOD. IN FACT IT PRETTY EASY TO DO IF YOU KNOW THE RIGHT PEOPLE!!

netfreak
08-28-2002, 02:08 AM
Argh I missed SNOrida813's post before it was removed...

Yeah it is a fairly easy mod but would take a bit more time doing a nice custom job with piping coming down from the cat or even before that.

killerb09
08-28-2002, 03:52 AM
REAL dual exaust aren't that hard to do...

you need a Y connector and install it right before the first turn

then you need custom bent pipe from there back on both sides....and just weld teh tips you want there....NO mufflers there ain't room...

you can install a small round muffler where your Resonator should go...if sound is a problem then just get 2 mufflers adn install them one after teh other there...

or if you really want to go custom...remove teh spare tire well and install 2 stainless muffs there adn have tehm exit right out the center of the rear bumper...this is what I'm planning....

DarknessRS
09-02-2002, 08:36 PM
Aw, with all of the hush hush you gave it, I thought it was going to be something super cool :(

87DXHatch
09-03-2002, 08:13 AM
I think the moral of the story here is...

If you want to get everyone's attention/love/admiration/replies, just be super-secretive about anything you are doing. Be like, "This has NEVER been done before, and it will rock your feeble 3geez world, but I cannot tell you all about it!!"

Then, 25 posts later, reply, "I am glueing a tin can to my hood... for the sheer awesomality of it"

Big let down? Sure. But think of the memories...

:D :p

AZmike
09-03-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by 87DXHatch

"This has NEVER been done before, and it will rock your feeble 3geez world, but I cannot tell you all about it!!"

Then, 25 posts later, reply, "I am glueing a tin can to my hood... for the sheer awesomality of it"

:lol

netfreak
09-03-2002, 10:01 AM
:p

I wasn't making a big scene, I just didn't want to reveal it yet because by the time I finally do it, most people will be like "oh. didn't you mention that like a month ago? I dont remember."

Ah well I think i have cooler stuff on the way.. hopefully...

HondaBoy
09-07-2002, 06:14 PM
hey to the guy who is being secretive, thats cool cuz it has us wondering. to the guy who posted something about the SE-I with the vacumes under the seats, well i think that has something to do with the air vents. like venting to the back seat , when u put it on LO or HI-LO setting on the air conditioner. i looked at one. my grandma had a 3 gee and tells me it is the air vents . maybe . and about the dual exhausts, u just have to know what your doing to make the back pressure good and not too little.

87AccordsterLx
09-07-2002, 07:37 PM
let us not forget about darkhonda89's custom job as well....

http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=48645

87AccordsterLx
09-07-2002, 07:39 PM
here is the thread....

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1588&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

netfreak
09-07-2002, 08:43 PM
Yeah I saw. I hope to have something similar to that but now I'm actually thinking of waiting for a b16 swap and new exhaust before doing the project.

2Fast_Fiero
09-07-2002, 08:56 PM
Throw some more money into it, get some custom made dual headers and run true dual exaust, Unless your not rich like I'm not :lol

theBeline
09-09-2002, 06:31 AM
Oh wait!! I've got a supper secret mod too!!! No, really, I do, and I KNOW this has NEVER been done to a 3gee before. I am absolutly certain, talk about originality, I know this because it's kind of strainge, but really cool for my situation. Trust me, youll all laugh first, then it'll catch..

Soundy
11-03-2005, 09:08 PM
This might be a stupid question and I'm probably overlooking something obvious, because someone MUSTA thought of this before, but I've never seen it or heard of it being done...

What about the idea of an electric fan or blower instead of a standard turbo or supercharger? Control the speed (and thus the boost) with throttle-driven output from the ECU (such a thing would be a lot easier to integrate with engine management), or even a potentiometer for a speed control hooked to the gas pedal or its linkage for older non-computer-driven cars... you'd have none of the lag or need for wastegates you get with a turbo, you wouldn't have the loss of torque you normally give up to a supercharger - the battery would deliver the "torque" necessary for acceleration spin-up, the drain likely wouldn't be any worse than cranking the starter, so you wouldn't be dragging down the engine.

It seems almost too easy - like I said, there must be some really fundamental issue I'm not seeing, or these things would be all over the place...

XBoom135
11-03-2005, 09:18 PM
I've not yet heard of any significant gains from any kind of blower setup. However even a small boost in performance for a fairly low price would be welcome information for cheap asses like me! Stray away from leaf blowers though. Creativity can sometimes be dangerous, even flammable.....

Soundy
11-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Uh, thanks, smart-ass :P

I'm talking forced-air induction using an electric drive rather than exhaust turbine or shaft/belt drive.

3G Jester
11-03-2005, 10:48 PM
i hear tornado's and turbonators work great

Soundy
11-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Uh, thanks...

Any INTELLIGENT answers out there, or have all the smart people gone to bed already?

mkymonkey
11-03-2005, 10:53 PM
hahaha......turbonators lol

phrenology
11-03-2005, 11:01 PM
There was already a long thread about this topic and it lead nowhere. Use the search man...the thread was really useless because we determined the power drain would out weigh the benefit. But try if you like. :)

A20A1
11-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Some problems are
Powering the motor and cooling the motor so it doesn't burn out.

There are oil driven turbos.

Oldblueaccord
11-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Thomas knight super charger google it.

Any other kinda fan its the CFM is lacking.

I have an idea thats just as crazy.

Use compressed air like tank and blow it into your intake when needed. Im think like a scuba tank or something.Still take alotta volume.

wp

2drSE-i
11-04-2005, 07:25 AM
compressed air, if you had a really, Really, REALLY, REALLY good compresser

Oldblueaccord
11-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Compressed air tanks don't hold enough air, and the ones that do would weigh your car down, plus they lose pressure too quickly.

An air compressor might give some bump but then you'll still have intermitent use.

http://www.powertank.com/start.htm

I was thinking something like this but not Co2 of course just air. It only flows 25 cfm.

Anyone figure out how much CFM would be needed? I was thinking it would be like nitrous shot not long term.

wp

HondaBoy
11-04-2005, 07:13 PM
let me just make it crystal clear. anything that looks like this aint compressing air enough to do shit. because i know thats what people are already thinking about. i'm gonna try and find the supercharger that was powered by electric motors. it was a roots type. post it up if anyone else finds a pic.
http://vintagebus.com/howto/e-ram/side-view.jpg

ok, check this shit out. these are actual compressors, not just a high velocity fan.
http://www.boosthead.com/old/Temp%20Site/ESC_avenger01.jpg
http://www.boosthead.com/images/other/intro.jpg
http://www.boosthead.com/home.php

A20A1
11-04-2005, 07:23 PM
900 - 1,200 cfm perhaps... I'm not sure.

I know 25 is not enough.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37169
I had links to Thomas Knight and the E-RAM as examples... all of them are where they should be... in the turbo FAQ thread, if you guys ever care to look through it.

phrenology
11-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Compressed air tanks don't hold enough air, and the ones that do would weigh your car down, plus they lose pressure too quickly.

An air compressor might give some bump but then you'll still have intermitent use.

Why not use a tank of compressed O2 injected into the manifold like a NOS set up...O2 is a good oxidizer, no? Pure oxygen would give your engine a kick in the ass with the right fuel management...plus compressed oxygen is easier to buy than NOS and you can even get a machine that will create and compress pure O2 from the atmosphere.

A20A1
11-04-2005, 08:44 PM
I think pure oxygen would be explosive or melt your engine, something like that.

Soundy
11-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Right, so after all this, the simple answer appears to be: any electric blower that would generate enough air pressure would require too much current to be viable - ie. the one site mentioned a draw of upward of 700 amps(!!!!).

See now, that's all I was overlooking... that wasn't so hard, was it?

Oldblueaccord
11-05-2005, 12:15 AM
Right, so after all this, the simple answer appears to be: any electric blower that would generate enough air pressure would require too much current to be viable - ie. the one site mentioned a draw of upward of 700 amps(!!!!).

See now, that's all I was overlooking... that wasn't so hard, was it?

yep and another search here I stated on the tomas knight thread.

"if you uped the voltage what happens to the current draw?"

I think I asked our resident no it all ASE SAE engineer. The standards for cars goes to 36 volts in a few years. So not to far future it could be viable.

And CFM is a measure of volume not pressure. There is a differance.:o

wp

Soundy
11-05-2005, 12:33 AM
"if you uped the voltage what happens to the current draw?"

Well that's simple: it drops proportionately. Basic electrical theory.

I think I asked our resident no it all ASE SAE engineer. The standards for cars goes to 36 volts in a few years. So not to far future it could be viable.

Interesting... that's gonna wreak havok with aftermarket electronics designed for 12V. Back in the day when I was working installing car stereos, we put systems in a couple diesel-powered Toyota Land Cruisers, which use 24V systems... the regulator modules we used were fine to run a deck or alarm, but just couldn't handle the current required by anything more than about a 20W amp...

And CFM is a measure of volume not pressure. There is a differance.:o
wp

Obviously, but the result is the same: not enough air movement.

AccordEpicenter
11-05-2005, 06:36 AM
nothing REALLY works except turbos and superchargers, all that E supercharger and all that stuff just doesnt work and the stuff that does "work" just isnt really practical

Oldblueaccord
11-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Well that's simple: it drops proportionately. Basic electrical theory.
Interesting... that's gonna wreak havok with aftermarket electronics designed for 12V. Back in the day when I was working installing car stereos, we put systems in a couple diesel-powered Toyota Land Cruisers, which use 24V systems... the regulator modules we used were fine to run a deck or alarm, but just couldn't handle the current required by anything more than about a 20W amp...
Obviously, but the result is the same: not enough air movement.

Well said.

I think my understanding is they will have batteries with a 12v post (tap) as well .

http://www.caraudiomag.com/specialfeatures/0307cae_42volt/

wp

buds302
11-05-2005, 07:15 PM
you want cheap power?? nitrous is the only way! im tellin you. why put an air tank in your car when all you got is air? put the same tank with nitrous in it and you will be much better off.

oh and btw dont call me when you blow your car up

speedpenguin
11-05-2005, 07:49 PM
i concur. the money you spend fabricating this thing. is better spent on nitrous. it's safer, and already proven.

89se-i
02-21-2006, 03:33 PM
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight/

electronic super charger in a 1st gen altima.....

Innovative, but not practical for regualar street use