PDA

View Full Version : I just cleaned my engine!

MrBen
05-15-2003, 08:08 PM
I just cleaned the hell out of my engine and compartment and hood area. MAN it looks nice. Looks almost new! I stood there for like 15 minutes looking at how clean the damn thing was.

I can't get the stupid valve cover clean though, and it's scratched up anyway. Eventually I need to paint it or swap it out with a nicer one from the junkyard.

My advice... go to the car wash and spray the hell out of it with the engine degreaser and then powerwash it away like I did! It's worth it. :pimp:

pimp86LX
05-15-2003, 08:17 PM
Get some pics! :) ...did you cover up the electronics/intake at all?

MrBen
05-15-2003, 08:24 PM
I covered nothing and everything works fine... go figure!

Now I can actually read the brake fluid level!

Blue Impact
05-15-2003, 11:35 PM
That's kinda like "steam cleaning" to me. You should cover up electrical stuff when doing such thing. Yes, it would be wise to cover your intake air filter too.

88LX-iSedan
05-16-2003, 02:57 AM
Yeah it would be a really good idea to cover the Intake Filter! ...No one listens when i say this but, Spray some Tire Wet on the engine it'll look really good and it last a long time!..

Edit: You can use the colored tire wet as well (Gives it a metal flake look of whatever color you pick) ..But it looks :gay:, Believe me i tried the blue once.

88accord
05-16-2003, 04:34 AM
i cleaned my engine wit ac coil cleaner it worked great
but dont try it if your motor has paint .it willtake it off but for grease great. and tire wet does work

Silver86LX
05-16-2003, 07:24 PM
Yeah I'm going to have to clean my engine real soon. It's dirty as hell. I'll probably just go out and buy some engine degreaser from Canadian Tire and use a pressure washer. Anyways I've got a quick question. I heard somewhere that you have to leave the engine running while you clean. Is this true?

Blue Impact
05-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Silver86LX
Yeah I'm going to have to clean my engine real soon. It's dirty as hell. I'll probably just go out and buy some engine degreaser from Canadian Tire and use a pressure washer. Anyways I've got a quick question. I heard somewhere that you have to leave the engine running while you clean. Is this true?

It would be wiser to shut the engine off. I don't know why, but it's best with the engine off. Remember to cover up electrical stuff. You should just take it down to a carwash place and do it there.

MrBen
05-17-2003, 09:54 AM
It doesnt work all that well anyway. Just go to the carwash place and use the degreaser they have there. If they dont have engine degreaser, use the tire cleaner. Same stuff.

easyryder
05-17-2003, 10:29 AM
Clean-up of any part on any car involves patience as well as the correct chemicals.I am the reconditioning manager for a large Canadian Honda dealership.1) Shut the engine off ,let it cool.Use a preasure wash to remove excess soil.Spray on a water base degreaser and let it set for a few minutes.Spray again to remove remainder of dirt and grease. Then spray a wheel cleaner over the engine bay(those of you with injection ,cover the pgm fi decal )spray again ,this will remove the residue .Please do not use solvent based tire glosses as these will break down the rubber and plastic parts....Any Qs?

easyryder
05-17-2003, 10:43 AM
Just to add to my last post ..The wheel cleaner will brighten all the aluminum as well ...For those who want to know I Can answer All Qs reguarding appeareance and finish...there are too many out there who try to over sell the how to