PDA

View Full Version : I did something stupid

89LXcoupe
05-16-2003, 01:43 PM
So when I was fixing my PS about a week a go I picked up two bottles of Honda PS fluid....when I finished the job this turned out to be not enough....so I borrowed a buddies car and went to the gas station and picked up some more. Now of course I didn't check to see if it complied with Honda standards. So after reading what can happen on the board I went a check and on the back it says "NOT RECOMMENDED FOR HONDA VEHICLES" Great. So my questions is I have mostly Honda fluid with a bit of this other crap mixed in....is it gonna blow all my seals...can I leave it, or should I drain the whole system and replace it all. Thanks guys!!

MrBen
05-16-2003, 01:45 PM
I personally would drain it out... I use only Honda PS fluid.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-16-2003, 02:25 PM
Drain it and put new fluid in it.

ACCORD EX
05-16-2003, 02:29 PM
i didn't know what was in my tank and i added some other stuff with out draining the system and it works fine ( thank god )

MIKE

89LXcoupe
05-16-2003, 02:38 PM
What is the easiest way to get all the fluid out?

wthramann
05-16-2003, 06:58 PM
The service manual says to disconnect the return hose from the gearbox at the reservoir, and put the end in a suitable container. Start the engine, let it run at idle, and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock several times until the fluid stops running out of the hose. The picture states to plug the reservoir when removing the return hose (the higher hose).

95AccordEXR
05-18-2003, 02:58 AM
I don't think it is a big issue. I highly doubt that it will affect your seals etc... the honda fluid porbably contains everything this other fluid has plus a few more additives. Since you already have these additives, it should not be a porblem... especially since 90% is honda fluid.

scandalcat1
05-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Drain it and then replace with Genuine Honda PS Fluid, which is about $6 here at least. Yeah, you could get the $2 to 3$ fluid but you never know.

Run the fluid through the power steering system for about 100 miles, then drain and fill again to rid of the other fluid that was there.

89LXcoupe
05-18-2003, 02:45 PM
How long wiil it take the fluid to fuck up the seals.....it was in there for about three days....I drained the system and took the PS belt off because I haven't had time ti fix the second leak or drain it totally yet, but there is probably fluid in there still.

Blue Impact
05-18-2003, 11:09 PM
Don't freak out now. I use those Valvoline power steering fluids for mine and it works great. By the way, I believe you have an LX-i, not an LX coupe. 3G Accords do not have LX coupes. If you have a coupe and power steering, it's definitely an LX-i.

89LXcoupe
05-18-2003, 11:37 PM
Nope I have an LX....carbed and pretty much bare bones otherwise. Remember this is Canada...I think the badging is a little different up here....you need to have injection to get the "i" I think...

Blue Impact
05-19-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by 89LXcoupe
Nope I have an LX....carbed and pretty much bare bones otherwise. Remember this is Canada...I think the badging is a little different up here....you need to have injection to get the "i" I think...

Do you have power windows? If not then you have a DX. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

'A20A3'
05-19-2003, 04:34 AM
you're correct Blue Impact, but badging is different in canada, so i'm not sure how it goes...

89LXcoupe
05-19-2003, 11:11 AM
No power windows or mirrors or AC....but I do have a little badge on the back that says LX.....?????

88' Accord Ltd
05-19-2003, 01:14 PM
yeah the canadian LX is the american DX, then ex = lx and ex-i = lx-i