PDA

View Full Version : Coilover conversion kits

TeKKnoTeKK
06-04-2002, 03:28 PM
I was just wondering, on these coilover conversion kits are they made to use with the lowering springs you already have no matter the kind? I noticed that opm motorsports sells them, but i want to me ake they will work with what I have. Guess this one's for you Jim.

guaynabo89
06-04-2002, 06:17 PM
They come with springs. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.:)

Jims 86LXI HB
06-04-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by TeKKnoTeKK
I was just wondering, on these coilover conversion kits are they made to use with the lowering springs you already have no matter the kind? I noticed that opm motorsports sells them, but i want to me ake they will work with what I have. Guess this one's for you Jim.

http://www.opmmotorsports.com/honda.html#Honda86-88Accord

Well the kit your talking about from opm uses 2 1/2" springs. I just ran out to my garage and measured the stock springs I took off the car when I lowered it. If it's proper to measure them from the inside, the fronts are 2 1/2", while the rears are 3 1/2". If you wanted to buy s set of 2 1/2" rear coils you can do that at ground-controls site, they would cost $110 for 2 springs. But please realize they make lowering springs stiffer for a reason and running stock springs in a lowered position is asking for trouble. If your thinking of using lowering springs you allready have, you'd need to find out if those coilovers from opm have a adjustment range to work with springs that are that short.

TeKKnoTeKK
06-05-2002, 11:28 AM
So do those kits at opm come with springs also? I figured for that price they may not. Plus they kinda make it sound like it's just the adjustable part. But I have the, 2.5" sprints on my car right now.

Fascarz
06-06-2002, 01:03 AM
I believe they only come with the coil over sleeves and perches. You need your own springs and shocks. I had a 85 CRX-Si years ago and ordered a complete IT suspension kit from them because the guy I talked to on the phone recommended it. I gotta admit, that was the best suspension system I ever had in any of my cars! Those guys there are super cool and knowledgeable. They have specific parts for 3rd gens like ours and help other customers with their setups. In fact, I was planning to buy a system from them again for my 89 Accord!

TeKKnoTeKK
06-06-2002, 02:34 PM
another thing I was wondering on these is it says 34.95-54.95 each, depending on what? Front or back I am guessing :confused:

Fascarz
06-06-2002, 09:43 PM
Hmmm...not sure. I guess it does mean front or back. I was thinking of either using OPM's conversion or going with a 4th Gen coilover setup. A20A1 is using a 4th Gen kit (forgot what brand), but it fits great. Only thing is that I've been hearing, is that you should go with a "true" coilover shock and not one that uses sleeves because if the sleeve ever breaks then you're screwed...I think H&R has these as well as other brands like Tein, but I don't know if they make for our cars. I know Tein doesn't and the coilovers are big $$$. :)

Jims 86LXI HB
06-06-2002, 09:57 PM
Only one company makes a direct fit true coilover set up for our cars.www.doetsch-shocks.com But I'am sorry to say thier products are complete crap. And they lied to me when the owner told me they make their own struts. I say they are crap because I purchase a pair of their struts for the rear of my car and they blew within 3K miles! I've got koni's in the rear now and they are a superior product.

Yes H&R has their cup kits and their's tein, bilstein makes them as well, neuspeed, koni ,and tokico has just started their own line. But none of them make direct fit full bodied coilovers for our cars.

But it does beg one question, can a full bodied coilover ment for another honda product fit. The 4th gen accords won't(full bodied coilovers that is), because that suspension has a much greater travel range so that the struts in those kits will be way to long, even considering that they would be shortened units, they'd still be to long. I've allready talked to koni and bilstein about the dimensions of 4th gen struts and shortened sport struts from 4th gen accords. But I did not check the demensions from other honda's,....hmmmmm.

Fascarz
06-06-2002, 10:37 PM
Do you have coilovers on your car? If so, what brand? I was also considering (besides the OPM), Ground Control as they seem pretty reasonable and my friend had them in his 87 RX-7 Turbo and liked them alot.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-06-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Fascarz
Do you have coilovers on your car? If so, what brand? I was also considering (besides the OPM), Ground Control as they seem pretty reasonable and my friend had them in his 87 RX-7 Turbo and liked them alot.

No, check my sig I'm running H&R's. For a number of reasons I researched the coilovers to help some other members, so that's how I know about the coilover stuff. Besides I would never lower it past 1.5" for very firm, never ever changing reason's, that have nothing to do with looks. The only reason I could see getting the opm coilovers over the ground-controls is that it would be cheaper to change the spring rates that way, as opposed to paying extra to change the standard ground-control setup. The standard ground control spring rates should be just fine. Either way you will want struts that can handle them, they are on the firm side. So unless you think you really really want to go deep into suspension tuning, I'd say just get the ground-controls and a set of koni struts.

guaynabo89
06-07-2002, 06:26 AM
Not to get off topic or anything but, didn't weapon-r make coilovers for the 3rdgen accord.

Nobody on here has them to comment?

Are people just pist off with weapon-r that its not woth mentioning them.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-07-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by guaynabo89
Not to get off topic or anything but, didn't weapon-r make coilovers for the 3rdgen accord.

Nobody on here has them to comment?

Are people just pist off with weapon-r that its not woth mentioning them.

Yes 89AccordNate has them. He's said he really likes them. But I'd argue that it doesn't cost much more to get the ground-controls. And I'd argue that the ground-controls are the best coil-overs you can get for our cars.

Fascarz
06-10-2002, 08:20 PM
What brands of shocks/struts have you used on your 3rd gen? I have never tried Koni's, although friends have said they were good. Do they make adjustables for our cars or are all the Koni's adjustable? If so, how hard is it to adjust? The Tokico Illuminas had that screw on the top which you could adjust with a screwdriver.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-11-2002, 01:26 PM
What brands of shocks/struts have you used on your 3rd gen? I have never tried Koni's, although friends have said they were good. Do they make adjustables for our cars or are all the Koni's adjustable? If so, how hard is it to adjust? The Tokico Illuminas had that screw on the top which you could adjust with a screwdriver.

Well I've used front bilstein H.D.'s and rear Doestch's and what is on the car now, Koni specials at all 4 courners. They are adjustable, but for rebound only. They are a major pain to adjust, but rebound is a different tuning element than compression so for the most part you'll set it once and never mess with it. What setting to use is pretty simple, one setting from being maxed out workd very well. BTW, they have to be removed from the car to be adjusted. Koni can modify them for on car adjustment, for a price.

And lets not forget that I'm about to put on my revalved bilsteins, one of these days that is, I'm getting tired of seeing them everytime I go in the garage.:rolleyes:

Fascarz
06-11-2002, 04:53 PM
How long have you had the Koni's on your car?

Jims 86LXI HB
06-11-2002, 05:01 PM
How long have you had the Koni's on your car?

It's been about a year now I think. I put allot of mileage on my car so they've got about 28K+ on them. After I bottomed out real hard the fronts started to decline:( , fastest way to kill a strut:rolleyes:

Fascarz
06-14-2002, 11:22 PM
How much are the Koni's going for? By "special Koni's" what are you referring to?

accordlx
06-15-2002, 02:31 AM
I run 4th gen accord Ractive Coilovers on my car. I like them because they were designed for a car that is heavier than ours so they are stiffer and might be actually a little longer. Ive run them over a year without any problems. I did blow a set of Tokicos while running over lumber in the road but under normal conditions, that would have never happened.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-15-2002, 06:41 AM
How much are the Koni's going for? By "special Koni's" what are you referring to?

Koni special is the name koni has given the strut themselves. Some people refer to them as koni "reds". They sell for $424+free shipping at shox.com for a set of 4.