PDA

View Full Version : Car jerks when you let go of the pedal

od2681
05-16-2003, 05:21 PM
ok people i need help...my car jerks a little when i let go of the pedal and my dad says that its not the motor its the body of hte car...so he and my cousin say that its the tie-rod end bushes and the suspension bushes...I dont know what to do...can anyone help me with this problem and tell me what is wrong..plz im desparate
they said that its not gonna hurt my car though but still im worried

pearldrop
05-16-2003, 07:48 PM
It sounds like motor mounts to me.
Pop the hood and get in the car. Put on the e-brake (really hard) and then put the car in drive/1st and see if the engine moves. (don't go anywhere just do it enough to see if the engine moves)
Do the same thing in reverse. If the engine jumps around more than an inch, the motor mounts need to be replaced.

od2681
05-16-2003, 11:43 PM
nah the motor mounts are new....it only happens when you let go of the gas pedal....my cousin siad it had to do with the bushes i was talkin bout...ill go get it checked out tomorrwo

Coitis1
05-17-2003, 03:20 PM
Does it happen at highway speeds? say 40+mph? If so, it might be that u have a damaged tire. My car kept shaking too like that when i was going fast. It turned out to be a damaged side wall in a tire that i had accidentily hit the curb w/ in the snow. Why not just take it in to a shop to have them diagnose it.

od2681
05-17-2003, 03:59 PM
i took it to the mechanic and he said the car was ok...but he did tell me that it might be because my suspension is fucked up....so i guess new shocks and tierods for me...wooh this is gonna cost me...anyone fixin to donate

YK86
05-17-2003, 07:17 PM
Sounds like worn out balljoints/tierods. A worn out one that moves around in the socket will cause the alignment to shift a bit making the car sway/jerk.

HondaBoy
05-17-2003, 10:56 PM
i had this same problem. mine kinda shimmied and shook a bit. it still does it if im comming down from over 70mph. i replace 1 motor mounts bushings. it was the "dog bone". thats the one that look like a dog bone, its on the rear of the engine on the top connected to the fire wall. it has excess play so i replaced the rubber inserts for about $40. their realy easy to install. the other thing i replaced that helped out was my tie rod ends. this helped a lot. another things is those damned ball joints. they like to go out on our cars. something i wanna replace on my car is bearings. i think thats another things that makes my right side shake.

od2681
05-17-2003, 11:34 PM
yeah the guy also said that i needed tierods too...thanks for the help you all...now i know which direction to go into...thanks