PDA

View Full Version : high idle

jstyle711
05-16-2003, 09:30 PM
my car idles at 1700-2200 .... i know this isnt normal.. what are some things that i should check? 86 lx-i

bobafett
05-17-2003, 12:12 AM
me too buddy... and i am in portland vancouver area too!

i am not sure how to tackle it, but its pissing me off. there have been a few answers, but i didnt know how to do the suggested steps without more research, so i never tried... i dont have the time to play with it unless i know exactly what i am doing. lol

i think there is a idle up valve, and an idle control valve that you need to play with... if i can dig up a link i will. :)

bobafett
05-17-2003, 12:18 AM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18135

HondaBoy
05-17-2003, 09:56 PM
i had this problem last year. i asked around what to do and just adjusted the idle speed. the only problem i had with it was i had to take the air cleaner loose. i didnt take any vacuum lines lose. i dont think i did. but neway, its nice to have 2 people to do this. 1 to watch the tac, and one to adjust the idle screw on the carb. this is fairly normal for a carbed engine if it hasnt been adjusted.

YK86
05-17-2003, 10:33 PM
His is an efi though. If it's consisitently high, try adjusting the idle speed (there's a - screw on the throttlebody). If it's irrattic or if adjusting the idle speed screw doesn't do anything, could be the fast idle valve or the coolant temp sensor.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
05-24-2003, 12:24 AM
If your motor RPM is Jumping your Pcv velve might be bad

Mike's89AccordLX
05-24-2003, 12:29 AM
I don't think his tach is just jumping around. And if that were the case it would most likely be his ignition module and ignition coil. I would put some SeaFoam in that sucker if it keeps up and you adjust that screw on the TB.

smufguy
05-28-2003, 07:45 AM
behind the throttle body, near the TPS there is a fast idle valve. People have had complaints with this one going bad on their cars and having the car remain on fast/high idle for a much longer time than needed. Try changing that from another one from a junkyard.

jstyle711
05-29-2003, 03:19 PM
yea... it was just the fast idle valve... i loosened it and now it idles nicely at 1k...... but when i turn on my a/c it kinda flutters ( drops down to like... 500-800 ... is there a way to make it stay at 1k?

smufguy
05-29-2003, 04:15 PM
its normal for an engine to low down on rpm when the ac is turned on at idle. BUt it should automatically compensate. Try swapping it out and try cleaning the Whole intake manifold with a carb cleaner, also check ur throttle cable for right tightness.

What u can also do is, put ur car on idle, let it kinda flutter as u mentioned, and adjust the idle using the idle screw on the TB.