PDA

View Full Version : So the project starts

YK86
05-17-2003, 01:37 AM
Not sure if anyone cares but I get alot of e-mails asking how my car was coming along so I thought I'd post. I was in a bit of a dilema a while back with the rusting problem on my 86 EX-i (hole in the trunk floor and jacking points, wheel well) getting to the point where I wasn't sure if I wanted to put the B20A and all the extra goodies in (SE-i front and rear discs, leather interior, black interior conversion, etc).

With a bit of luck, I was able to pick up a 86 EX-i which is IDENTICAL to my 86 before I did all the work on it (charcoal grey 4dr) for $500 CAD (about $350US). It still runs great but the tranny is starting to slip (hopefully just needs a Honda ATF flush and refill) so the girl bought a Civic and wanted the Accord gone. Body is straight an all the power options work (no A/C but my 86 didn't either so no big deal). She did back into something so the part under the tailight is pushed in a bit but not serious.

So my plan now is to return my 86 to stock (strip everything off like the body kit, suspension, Lude seats, return it to auto, etc) and swap all the stock parts I didn't keep over from the new 86 and sell it as a good mechanically reliable car with rust. Then I can start fresh on the new 86 and not have to worry about rust. And with everything I'm redoing being my second time around, I can improve everything that wasn't quite perfect the first time. Now I can finally focus on finishing all the stuff I've wanted to do for a long time and end up with a car I will be extremely happy with. And with prices for 86 EX-i's still fairly high (in the $2300CAD/$1600US range), I should be able to sell the 86 for around $1200 ($800US) even with the rust so I might be able to come out of this making money while upgrading the body.

A20A1
05-17-2003, 02:20 AM
aha... :D sounds like you've got a lot of work to do... keep us posted.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
05-17-2003, 07:54 AM
Sounds Promising Yasu.. Take some some before pics.. How is the 4th gen doing?

Dutchboy
05-18-2003, 03:04 PM
I Now am the owner of 2 3 gees too!!!!!!!
I just got a 88 exi I believe,,,,lol .. i dont even know what year it is actually but it has the clear turn lenses so i think its an 88...

BUt anyway its a ICBC write off.....but the thing is its hardly got damage to it other than the trunk and rear drivers tail light....but i dont got papers for it so its strictly parts.....

I paid 400$..and it was delivered to my house and it has a full tank of gas too!!!!!!!!....runs perfect....all power everything...cruise and a/c as well....
so im going to swap everything i can into the 89 coupe i drive....

oh its a 4 door model,, and automatic....tranny is newer i belive and it has a brand new alternator in it and a cv joint....so i think 400 is a fair price considering the new parts

DOes anyone know if its possible to run the efi alternator on the carbed engine.....reading the electrical diagrams it shows that the extra wire just runs to the computer so if you put it in just dont hook that wire up to anything and it should work?mabye.......Has anyone done this...?????

and i here that the cv joints on the autos are different then the 5speeds arent they?? so i cant use them,.,

Ben
and good luck on the car YK.......im so happy to have something to tinker with now!! i go ripping in my parents feilds with it.