PDA

View Full Version : Engine Mounting or Transmission problem??

allophylus
05-17-2003, 01:47 AM
Hi, I wasn't new to this forum but this is my first post here. Hope this is the right place for this problem.

My 89 EXi (or Si??) with auto transmission having this kind of loud bumping noise when I engaged it to drive or reverse. I also notice that the engine is moving forward or backward when I engaged the transmission. I also got rough vibration when in idle and the transmission is in drive, it gone when I place it to neutral.

I recently have my transmission reconditioned. Minor tune up, including the change of plugs by myself. My question is, will the bumping noise cause by the front engine mount?? or will it be related to the transmission? The car drives fine. It is just worrying me at the moment I am trying to engage the transmission (drive or reverse). Please gives comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

anchovies
05-17-2003, 04:41 AM
sounds like your mounts are shot.
Try hearing where the noise comes from. That could be from either tranny/mount. But certainly, check your mounts.

shepherd79
05-17-2003, 05:27 AM
i think it is your front and rear engine mounts

allophylus
05-28-2003, 10:32 AM
Hello, I have got my engine mounts replaced. The front one was totally splitted into half. The sound when I engaged the transmission to Drive is gone. It is just a hard choking motion without loud knocking noise to the front when I engaged the transmission. However, there are still low noise when I put the gear to reverse. Is that normal for our cars due to aged? or is there any other possibilities that I have take notice of? Thanks for the replies.

allophylus
05-30-2003, 08:15 AM
Went to the transmission place and told them the problem. They insisted that the nosie from reverse to drive is normal for Honda, that annoying noise. Is this realy that case??? please advise.

And now there is another problem, the car starts vibrates very badly in idle, will do a plugs change tomorrow and see how it goes. Just hope it is not something related to the engine itself.