PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Replacement

AZmike
05-17-2003, 05:32 PM
A pebble hit my windshield near the VIN place and left a small chip. When I returned to the car a few hours later the small chip had grown to an 18 in crack right through the center of the driver's view. Now when the sun hits it right I get a blinding spot of light right in front of me.

I figured the cheapest fix would be a replacement from a pull a part junkyard and install it myself. Does anyone know if the hatchback and coupe use the same windshield as the sedan? Has anyone replaced their windshield before? How difficult was it? Is it would the extra to get a new windshield? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

95AccordEXR
05-18-2003, 03:17 AM
I'm about to do a windshield swap myself. I was told by a friend (who has done this sort of thing before) that there is not mcuh to it. you remove the trim and whatnot and then feed a piece of piano wire thru there. Then, with the wire attached to broom handles on either side, two people use a sawing action to go up and around the window, seperating it from the car(s). Then, call your local auto glass place to come and plop the good windshield into your good car. No need skimping on the $ on this step... you need to have a properly installed windshield.

Good luck!

AZmike
05-28-2003, 03:39 PM
For reference, the best deal I could find was $130 for a new Safelite windshield installed. I was able to get Vista Glass (520 399-1926) to pricematch a better PPG replacement down from about $150 to $136 mobile service installed. All prices were before taxes in Tucson, Arizona.

88accordlxcarb
05-28-2003, 04:10 PM
That's about what I paid. I had a crack going from one side to the other. The place should take the old one out for no extra charge.

Don’t cheap this out and do it yourself. An improper windshield job can cause some big problems. I was talking to the guy (he came to our house) that put it in and he said he gets a couple calls a year from people that try to put one in and just end up with it leaking or cracking.

DBMaster
05-28-2003, 06:34 PM
Don't mess with a used windshield. I hurts to spend the money, ut go with the new one. Used ones have all kinds of little chips, pits and scratches. Mine is so pitted and scratched I have often thought of replacing it just to have it clear again!

AZmike
05-28-2003, 07:02 PM
I guess I should have been more explicit. I had the new one installed today. The removal of the old windshield was included.

The urethane adhesive should be cured by now, so I'll go take a quick drive in a few minutes to see how much of as improvement there is.

DBMaster
05-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Jason, I love your signature!!

Sorry, off topic I know!

88accordlxcarb
05-28-2003, 08:27 PM
Haha, thanks. Its true too. :lol

Morpheus
05-29-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by DBMaster
Don't mess with a used windshield. I hurts to spend the money, ut go with the new one. Used ones have all kinds of little chips, pits and scratches. Mine is so pitted and scratched I have often thought of replacing it just to have it clear again!

I got the same problem, my side windows are really shitty too. If it was covered by windshield insurance I would prolly just whip a rock at it and have it done for free. :D

offthahook
05-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Morpheus
I got the same problem, my side windows are really shitty too. If it was covered by windshield insurance I would prolly just whip a rock at it and have it done for free. :D

That is one ignorant statement. :rolleyes:

WhiteSpecV
10-17-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by offthahook
That is one ignorant statement. :rolleyes:

Considering he probably never had to clean up glass from a shattered window.

My '89 was stolen a week ago for the 17" Racing Harts (CP08).

It was recovered in less than 2 days, but here's the thing. The street was covered in glass, yet the entire interior was covered with glass. It got everywhere. Had to take out my front seats just to get it all up. You'd be amazed how much of a mess it makes.

-Joe-

MrBen
10-17-2003, 12:52 PM
I just had my windshield replaced. It is nice to have a CLEAR window to look through, that is for damn sure.

Leviathant
10-27-2003, 07:24 PM
When I got a chip in my windsheild that turned into a crack, my insurance covered replacing my windshield. Got three windshields out of my 89 Dodge Colt before it died, all free... state Farm in PA

LoKo498
10-27-2003, 07:55 PM
Did you have full coverage or just the liability for the free windshield?

Leviathant
10-29-2003, 02:00 PM
My car was worth all of $200... no, $150. I didn't have collision on it, but I think I had everything else.