PDA

View Full Version : Short Shifters

HondaBoy
05-17-2003, 09:48 PM
i dont have a manual tranny in my 3gee but i know a lil bit about em. neway short shifters are wut everyone wants right? now ive seen some people cut their stock one and call it a short shifter. its realy not. well i heard that its all about the pivot point. the only way u will bet the short shifter effect is to replace the whole stick, not just the part ur knob is on. has anyone else known about this? cuz like nobody i talk to thinks thats true, but it unfortunatly is. u gotta spend the money for the good shit i guess. guess thats why race cars get the whole shifter replaced.

anchovies
05-17-2003, 11:28 PM
The idea is basically the same for both. Move the fulcrum point, shorter throw, shorten the shifter, less throw.
Experiment with it using a pen and grip it between your 2nd and 3rd fingers. With both fingers open face and straighten. Now shift to 3rd gear assuming the pen is the shifter. Play with the fulcrum point. And try holding the "shifter" near the bottom.
Of course, you can't cut it that short in reality without having some problems. How about structural integrity?
I'm just comparing the usual aftermarket short shifter not the race type.

bobafett
05-18-2003, 12:28 AM
you are correct. u need to adjust the pivot point to truly change the throw length on the shifter. if you chop off the top you are merely changing the leverage that you have on it. :)

thats why the pacesetters have the adjustable ball. so you can tweak how tight you want your shifts! :)

Pntbal
06-05-2003, 01:15 PM
can you get a short shifter put on a automatic 89 LX-i?

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Pntbal
can you get a short shifter put on a automatic 89 LX-i?

The car shifts automacally. hence the term "Automatic"

bobafett
06-05-2003, 02:20 PM
oh goodness. :rolleyes:

u cant get a short shifter on an auto without a lightened flywheel!

ps. they make tq converter kits or whatever that make an auto shift faster, but im sure they dont make them for the accord. at least i think its a torque converter kit that makes an auto shift quicker!