PDA

View Full Version : Led 3rd Brake Light

HondaBoy
05-17-2003, 11:14 PM
i like how some of the newer cars have those nice LED brake lights. i remember someone on here was gonna make one. i havent seen anything about it. maybe i just missed that. neway, i dont realy like the one that came stock. its alright, but i want something different. my question is, should i put a LED brake light in? by the way, the bulb in my 3rd brake light is the original one. the Stanley Japan one. well post ur opinions on wut u think i should do.

Mike89Accordcom
05-18-2003, 09:38 AM
I like them and if you got them you'd be diff, so go for it.

HondaBoy
05-18-2003, 08:19 PM
i found one that i dont have to make myself. its made by pilot brand. not the best, but eveything i bought from them has worked realy good. im not shur on the price but will find out in a few days, maybe tomorrow if i have time. i might buy it.

86hatchbackLXi
05-19-2003, 01:10 PM
its pretty nice, in my hatch i cleared out my third light and i have a red LED bulb in there now. its really bright at night, but during the day its kind of hard to see. i bought mine on ebay for like 8 or 9 bucks

HondaBoy
05-21-2003, 01:45 PM
the LED light i had found was a long strip that replaces the old light. i went and got it yesterday for about $8. it was on sale so i thought that was a good deal. its usually $25-$35. i put it in the same spot where the old 3rd tail light goes. i was going to mount it high up, but it looks much better on the rear deck. its nice and bright even in the bright sun. i will just need to put a better connection when i get a chance. im going to get an old plug just like the original light clips together. ill get it at the junkyard. and then im going to cover it when i recover the rear deck. i had recovered it but im going to do it again to give it a clean look. ill post some pix when its done.

89accordLXiAllAudio
05-23-2003, 05:23 AM
im looking to do the same, where did you find that strip of LEDs?

HondaBoy
05-24-2003, 09:55 PM
the LED light thing was called a high mount brake light. well i had it in there a few days and the plastic housing warped in the heat. i took it all apart and cut it up. i cut it into 2 strips and soldered the 2 new strips together with some speaker wire to connect them. i cut the original long strip into 2 to make it fit in the original accord's 3rd brake light. each strip has 9 LEDs that are very bright even in the day time. i used the connections from the original light and soldered that to the new LED one. i have 6 LEDs left so im going to make something with them. they look clear, but when they are on they are bright red. unlike some of the cheaper ones that are just colored red like APC makes. considering i paid about $8 and got a total of 24 LEDs in that light i got a good deal. i could have bought LEDs each separate. one place sold 4 for $29.99, another place 3 for $9.99. so basicly i get a good deal. i make a thing to attach the LED strip to out of some plexiglass i had. i made it fit inside of the 3rd brake light. then i used some 3M two sided tape and it turned out realy nice. i guess i wont have to ever worry about changing a bulb again. LEDs are supposed to last for many years. ill post some pix when i take some.

89accordLXiAllAudio
05-26-2003, 06:36 PM
yes but where can you find these wonderful inventions

CoconutboyLXi
05-27-2003, 11:52 AM
pictures please....

HondaBoy
06-01-2003, 10:42 AM
oh, i bought the high mount LED thing at Auto Zone. ive gone back many times every week, (im a regular customer), but they dont have anymore of those LED light bars. maybe i will go to another Auto Zone to find one. i still need to take some pix, so i guess ill do it right now.

89accordLXiAllAudio
07-08-2003, 05:44 PM
all we have here is crappy advanced auto and their APC crap

Justin86
07-08-2003, 10:27 PM
LED's all the way.

Micah 89LXi
07-09-2003, 07:57 AM
smufguy or something to that extent his name is preveen do a search he has the led 3rd brake lights mentioned in his info he has a couple to sell..either he still has em or he forgot to take them off his signature

Micah 89LXi
07-09-2003, 07:59 AM
er praveen my bad..typo

HondaBoy
07-09-2003, 01:34 PM
i still dont have the pix developed yet. guess i can go do that a bit later and then post them. that LED 3rd brake light looks pretty cool cuz nobody else has one like it. i may try to do something with some strobe type lights inside there also, like some of the cop cars have.