PDA

View Full Version : Dropping transmission from car (automatic)

95AccordEXR
05-18-2003, 03:05 AM
Hi guys... just need a quick confirmation that the automatic tranny can be unbolted and dropped from the car, without removing the engine. I have a donor car that I tried taking the trans out and did not have much success. But after pulling the eninge and trans together and then removing the trans , I saw where I went wrong. I just need confirmation that it is possible to do this.

Also, for disconnecting the shift linkage... the trans has to be off the engine to do this right? I tried removing the linkage on the donor car but had no luck... I ended up getting frustrated and cutting it! :mad: After I removed the trans tho, I saw how it was connected inside, and it looks like that is the only way to take it off.

A20A1
05-18-2003, 03:08 AM
yes... you need to support the motor cause the rear mount needs to be removed.

95AccordEXR
05-18-2003, 03:10 AM
the rear mount on the crossbeam (only one nut) or the arm bolted to the firewall?

A20A1
05-18-2003, 03:14 AM
as for the shift linkage... on the auto transe you need to take off that plastic shifter case and the gear selector plate then you'll see a small metal clip that hold the cable to the shifter... remove the clip and you can pull the cable out from under the car. you need to unbolt the cable holder also before you can pull the cable out... the holder has 2 bolts and you need to go under the car where the cable goes thru the floor... I forgot if the heat shield had to be removed... further down the cable somewhere between the trans and the firewall, i think there is another cable holder...

umm I'm sure there are other things I'm missing... it's been a while since I've been under the car.

A20A1
05-18-2003, 03:17 AM
you don't remove the cable fromt he trans side you remove it from the shifter.

95AccordEXR
05-18-2003, 03:19 AM
ok, so pull the cable from the car, not pull the the calbe from the trans. thanks.