PDA

View Full Version : oil pan gasket

Black89LX-i
05-18-2003, 10:39 AM
I am wondering if there is an easier way to change my oil pan gasket. I bought a chiltons book and it says that I have to raise the motor up and take the bracket off the bottom of the car. I am just lazy and really don't wabt to have to do that. But if there isn't an easier way well I will just have to get to work. :bow:

95AccordEXR
05-18-2003, 10:44 AM
well, I think the bracket is totally in the way of the pan, so you wont be able to drop the pan enough in order to remove it. You can give it a try, but it probably won;t happen. On the other hand, you could always hoist the engine up and then take it off... but that's not really an option.

YK86
05-18-2003, 10:56 AM
You need to remove the crossbeam but the front, side, and rear, mounts are still attached so you don't have to hoist the engine. It's a pain in the butt to do though since you also have to remove the downpipe, torque converter/flywheel cover, etc, etc).

Black89LX-i
05-18-2003, 11:00 AM
See that is what I thought. I just didn't want to take that off and the engine come down with it. Cause that would suck! LOL

MrBen
05-18-2003, 10:51 PM
Just go have it done by a mechanic... let them deal with it. Things like that I just say screw it and go get it done by someone else.

'A20A3'
05-19-2003, 04:02 AM
i agree with GhettoAccord, some tasks are just to tedious. i like to not have to worry if i fuck up, so i just let mechanics mess around with stuff like that.

Sabz5150
05-19-2003, 05:45 AM
That's one of the more annoying jobs to do on our rides. If you've still got your plastic shield thing installed under your car, you can use that to hold the downpipe away from you without having to remove it completely.

Probably the most difficult thing to deal with is the (MANY expletives deleted) oil return line. By now it's probably old and stiff, and that means it's gonna be hard to remove and even harder to reinstall. Go get a new one from Honda... it's 3 dollars, you'll be happy you did.

I heard someone on here mention a great idea that I used to install my *coughs*third*coughs* gasket, and that's to use Elmer's glue to hold it in place on the oil pan. It'll hold the gasket on the pan while you reinstall it and will dissolve with no harm to the engine.

Good luck!

Black89LX-i
05-19-2003, 10:09 AM
Well I am a do it yourself kind of guy just lately I have changed my CV axels and that was a pain in the ass cause some parts have never been taken apart thus making them that much harder to come apart. Then I have been getting a headache with my powersteering because I put the fluid in and in a couple of days it is low again and I mean LOW. The car shows no signs of leaks. I think it has something t do with the rack n pinon(steering gear) cause when I changed my CV axels I saw that the dust boot was busted on my rack n pinon. When I was changing it, there is an air line that goes to it but it looked like it had power steeeing fluid coming out but not alot. All in all I just wouldn't have a mechanic look at it because they charge outragous prices. Labor is a killer, I look at it this way if I can save money by doing it myself than I will. I could use the money that I saved to buy another part(s). I know what am doing and if I don't, I have a book. If I need more help or second opinion I ask you guys.

Thank you guys for your help

P.S. Trying to find the lazy way out. LOL