PDA

View Full Version : removing fuel tank

smufguy
06-04-2002, 06:08 PM
I need to get the fuel tank out and how do i do it? Do i have to take off the exhaust system and the heat shield? do i have to take anything else off? mine is a LX so as u know its a carb. ANyone who is doing a EFI conversion or dudes like carotman who have done one please help me out. i gotta finish this thing real quick.

GreenMachine
06-04-2002, 08:20 PM
I'm doing the conversion too, but I'm taking out my tank this weekend. Just got my engine out, and about 1/2 the interior last weekend. Are you using a second car for this conversion?
let me know what kind of problems you run across just so I know.
How far into the conversion are you ? sorry can't help ya with info on the tank......yet !:super:

carotman
06-05-2002, 02:38 AM
only 5 bolts need to be removed (well maybe more.. LOL)

You have the 3 bolts that hold the filler neck to the body and 2 bolts that actually hold the tank in place..

Look under the car, they are really easy to find. They hold down 2 metal/rubber straps holding the gas tank.

It's alot easier if the tank is empty.

BE CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE TANK.

Have a friend near with an ABC fire extinguisher. Do that in a ventilated area.

smufguy
06-05-2002, 08:57 AM
hey greenMachine, due to money probs i am still stuck with stuff that i took out before the summer break started. I took out everything that has to be taken out from the engine bay except the black coolent pipe which i have no clue how to take out and the header bolt (the ones that hold the downpipe to the header) just one of the three bolts wont open up. My interior is all taken out ecept for the back seats and the carpet under it.

i need someone to get me an idea of how to take out the rear seats, i am still lost in it. I am not using a second car that i own for the conversion, but got most of the parts from the junk, cleaned them out and are pretty good in shape and very cheap too. i still need some parts like the fuel lines, fuel tank and the coolent pipe and corneringlights. i got into a front end wreck so there is a lot more stuff to do for me.

dude carotman, you gotta help me out man. MY car is in a driveway, my uncle's drive way actually. my friend is gonna help me out. i need to get the gas tank out. and by the way, how do i take off the blower unit? the hoses are stuck to the firewall from the engine bay. Do i use a heat gun or a blow dryer? Thanks again man. i will tal kto you sooon. gonna go to my uncle's house and get the radiator and the condensor and clean it up real fast. :super:

locknload68
06-05-2002, 11:31 AM
I can get you a pic of the bolts on the rear seat. You have to take them off in a certain sequence.

If I recall correctly, there's one right in the middle that holds down the bottom of the seat. You should be able to get at by pushing the padding out of the way. Then there are hooks on the front of that part that hold it down. For now, that's all the info I can give you. Hope it helps!

CoAsTeR
06-05-2002, 04:17 PM
thats a big job..... does converting to FI give more power than slappin' a weber carb on? what makes an FI conversion more appealing than the carb? Thanks...

GreenMachine
06-05-2002, 06:30 PM
Well for me the appealing that about converting to efi rather than a weber was the fact that I have had constant poblem with hestiation/stumbling and no mechanic could figure it out, the 2nd thing would be for some reason I went thru 3 carbs and was about to have to got to #4, but decided ..no fuckin way
My last carb, the jets went and flodded the engine so bad it stripped the cyclinder walls of oil, and allowed the oil to come pouring out thru my exhaust, YA it was just great !
Also the efi comes with 20hp more stock, so I had no luck with the carb :stick: :bh: :stick:

CoAsTeR
06-05-2002, 09:42 PM
yah thats bad luck, sorry to hear. Doesn't the carb give you like 20-30HP more? Which would but you up as a contender with the FI cars? Just curious....

smufguy
06-06-2002, 02:32 PM
hey locknload, i would really appreicate if u can give me a pic man. i already took the seat out.

you carotman, i took off the black metal coolent pipe with a CROWBAR hahahahaha, i took off the cabin wireharness and the heater and ac units and the blower and the pedals and everything is off, time to slam everythin on. but need gas tank before that.

Hey Coaster, the place where i live, NJ carb just does not make it thru. It takes like a million years to warm up the car, and the good thing about efi is that, its easy to trouble shoot. and its time for me to get going into the future :p . besides, doing this gives me a more indepth detail of what the car is really made of and how it works and its a hands on experience too.

GreenMachine
06-06-2002, 05:04 PM
DIDO

you tottaly get to see how it all works, and where everthing is located and what kind of condition everything is in:werd:

CoAsTeR
06-06-2002, 06:03 PM
yeah but a relatively simple job turns into a nightmare cuz knowing me I'd break something in the process or things never go back together the same and it becomes ALOT of money real fast.... but thats just me... how long did it take for you to do the conversion? How much downtime am I looking at? Thanks for the info, this really helps!

GreenMachine
06-06-2002, 07:14 PM
Well I bought a beater for 400$ for the meen time cause my engine was blown. So mine has been in my garage for about 2 months but I just started about 2-3 weeks ago, and i'm taking my time only working on it on weekends, cleaning it up, painting the engine bay and under the fenders. And well ..other shit too
But I'm in No big rush, I expect to be done in about a month:bh:

smufguy
06-06-2002, 08:31 PM
when u look at the car, it does not seem possible. but look at me, in two days, i took my car to its frame. it would take you almost lets say 3 days, working like 5 hours a day to take all the parts that has to be taken out, taken out (confusing huh?). well lemme put it this way, it would take you 3 days (5 hours a day) to take all the shit that u dont need from the car. :D . A friend would really help. ANd with the simple right tools. IT would be just a breeze, i am pretty sure, it woudl take just 2 weeks (if u have the parts ready) to finish up all the work. Gotta be true to your job, and for sticky coolent hoses that wont come off, use a blow dryer or a heat gun the hose comes right off. Keep you all updated on my work soon.

GreenMachine
06-11-2002, 10:26 PM
Mine's now stripped down to the frame in the front (no fenders, hood, bumper) also got the dash and dropped the steering column. I'm gonna paint the upper part of my dash black, re-insulate the floor, re-wire the stereo/alarm - extra shock sensor in the back. Blah-blah-blah
Got a Harness I plan to have in by this weekend, keep us posted on your progress
:werd: :bh: :werd:

smufguy
06-12-2002, 07:25 AM
yo carotman, remember the rear fuel line u were talking about? well i dont know still how to take it off. I disconnected all the flexible fuel lines (red ones) and can i just drop the tank down? i cant seem to work this thing out. :mad:

locknload68
06-12-2002, 09:27 AM
Hope this helps some:

http://home.woh.rr.com/picshere/Tank.jpg

POS carb
06-12-2002, 09:32 AM
hahahaha... "Do not smoke while working on the fuel system"
Warnings like that do not allow for natural selection to take its course. If anyone is stupid enough to smoke while dropping a 14 gallon tank of fuel probably deserves to be blown up before they hurt somebody else lol
:smokin: + Gas = :burn:

:stupid:

locknload68
06-12-2002, 09:34 AM
:werd:

That is so true POS!!

smufguy
06-12-2002, 12:36 PM
thanks a lot bro, it really helps a ton. i aint gonna ask my friend to help me out on this, cause he smokes and i dont. dont wanna be a fried chicken at this time. anyways, thanks once again.

ps. what kinda repair guide is that? honda repair manual?

locknload68
06-12-2002, 12:43 PM
Yeah, it's an 88 Honda Factory Service Manual. The same one the real mechanics use :)

carotman
06-12-2002, 12:52 PM
Once you disconnected the 2 hoses from the body, you can drop the tank...

Don't forget to unbolt the filler neck too :)

smufguy
06-12-2002, 06:24 PM
thanks carotman, i got additional tips from the haynes too (but its not very clear).

okay here it the deal, we spend 15 bucks and get a haynes manual which is not soo detailed like the honda dealership manuals that "Real mechanics" use. but we aint real mechanics, we are the ones who should get the good ones and the real mechanics shoudl use just the manual with "tips". :rolleyes:

CoAsTeR
06-12-2002, 06:57 PM
smufguy, how fast is your connection? If I get ambitious, maybe I can figure a way to send you a crippled version of mitchell on-demand... that way you can checkout the stuff for the 3g accords. Gimme a chance to crack the copy protection and rig the install.... it'll help alot with your conversion probably....

but I'm looking at sending AT LEAST 2gb of files, so I dunno.... :rolleyes:

If anyone REALLY wants the full version........ do the install on my H22a, I'll provide all the parts :D

smufguy
06-12-2002, 07:13 PM
nah, i am just kidding man. I dont need a fancy book to do anything and everything. ALl i gotta do is, ask ppl what i need here and within a day i get the answers. I dont have to look up anyting and burst thru pages for what i need. I like the post more than anythign and they are helpful. Carotman and greenmachine are helpin me out major on my conversion. and other ppl are helping me out no stuff i ask. and ppl like u who are willing to give their time and provide everyone who asks a question is more to ask, but its here. Thanks for it coaster, i was just messing around as u know bro. :)