PDA

View Full Version : hellppp!!! my accords dead??

veedubbin
05-18-2003, 07:45 PM
help my accord died today??? i was just driving along then had a sudden loss of power. it sounded like the motor was missing. then when i got it off the road it died. now it wont even turn over. it just clicks once and the lights all dim.

3G Jester
05-18-2003, 08:02 PM
alt maybe?

89AcCOrDmike
05-18-2003, 08:03 PM
yeah i was gonna say alt maybe

3G Jester
05-18-2003, 08:05 PM
yeah...it reeks of altenator problems.

i dont know how long youve had your car.---how well you *know * it...but take it down to a garage and have them run an electrical diagnostic.

veedubbin
05-18-2003, 08:08 PM
thats what most of my other friends said too, i just didnt think it would die like that

MrBen
05-18-2003, 10:49 PM
I'm gonna say it's your coil. Sounds like that's your problem.

Blue Impact
05-18-2003, 11:01 PM
Dim lights are usually caused by drained battery are bad alternator. I believe it's your alternator, according to your story of how your car died.

cdscowboy
05-19-2003, 12:28 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else...sounds like an alt. to me for sure. But take it to a shop, they'll be able to tell you for sure...it's just a matter of getting it there!! :)

rideredorgohome
05-19-2003, 06:56 AM
I agree with the alternator thing, but like they said get a tow to the shop and have them test it first.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-19-2003, 07:11 AM
Well how's your spark plugs? It could also be the starter. When my starter went out it clicked also but didn't turn over.

buzzbomber88lx
05-19-2003, 01:26 PM
I'd say um.....how much oil do you put in your car when you change the oil?I found out after I pulled the motor out that it says the pan only holds somewhere between 3 and 4 quarts. You may have blown your seal and lost compression. But also I am gonna go with alternator so your jaw doesnt drop thinking you will have to spend assloads of money on parts. OK? take the alternator off and take it to oreilly's and have them test it.

infecto
05-19-2003, 03:04 PM
The starting problem sounds like the starter but considering it died while driving the starter shouldn't be the problem.

bambamky
05-20-2003, 11:56 AM
battery and Alternator

veedubbin
05-20-2003, 05:37 PM
well i had the alternater tested and it was fine. actually got the car to start but now it idles for s#@$. wtf?? what else could it be??:wtf: :wtf:

veedubbin
05-20-2003, 05:43 PM
oh and the plugs wires and fuel filters are new

A20A1
05-20-2003, 05:51 PM
Distributor... ??? check the stator allignment.

veedubbin
05-20-2003, 05:54 PM
whats the stator alignment?

A20A1
05-20-2003, 06:15 PM
well there is this 4 pronged metal rotor... i think it's called the reluctor but I'm not sure..

anyways the reluctor is on the same shaft as the rotor...

so remove the distributor cap and rotor... and You'll see the reluctor.
On either side of the reluctor, there are 2 Stator plates. These plates line up with 2 of the 4 points on the reluctor.

the stator allignment is basicly the tiny air gap between the reluctor and the stator on either end.

the air gap must be small, and must be parallel. and must be an equal distance on both sides.

anywho... this is easily overlooked as a problem cause it's hard to tell if the plates are not alligned... and sometimes they go back and forth between in and out of allignment.

veedubbin
05-20-2003, 06:23 PM
is that hard to fix if its off?

A20A1
05-20-2003, 06:33 PM
well see if its the problm first... take off the cap... take of the rotor....

well take out the whole distributor too and spin the shaft... then look at the gaps.

Most of the time what happens is the stators bend outwards of the shaft... so you need to pry them Back in towards the center.

now if the only allignment problem is that one air gap is larger then the other side... you need to loosen the screws holding the stators and then slide the stators left or right to get equal spacing in the air gaps.

A20A1
05-20-2003, 06:38 PM
oh and check the (2? or 4?) small wires going into the distributor... they tend to corrode.

3G Jester
05-20-2003, 09:08 PM
Ya...i deffinatly agree with mike here [a20a1]

if it tested fine and idles now.....it STILL sounds electrical [based on your first story] --or else you wouldnt have had light issues. so check your wires and electrical shit. maybe loose or corroded.

veedubbin
05-28-2003, 04:16 PM
well the alternator tested fine...found out my starter was putting itself in a bind, a friend at the honda dealership diagnosed it as the carb is f@#$!# up

A20A1
05-29-2003, 12:11 PM
Alternator?
I was talking about the distributor... have you checked that out?

Anyways... did they say why they thought it was a carb problem?

smufguy
05-30-2003, 06:24 AM
if ur lights dim while cranking, well then u been crankin up for a long time. IF the lights kinda flutter while u drive and the battery light comes on and seems like those alien abduction scene, well its ur alt.

But, considering ur altenator tested out fine (how did u test it?) its def not the starter, u use the starter to start the car (hence the name) so car dying while u driving is not cause of it.

How long has it been since u have given it for a tune up?

WHen u start the car (if urs is a carb), floor the gas pedal, hold it there and try to strart ur car up. Once it starts, it should sputter and then return back to normal idling (3k for fast idle on carb). and yeah, dont forget to let go of the gas. Once u let go of the gas and it kinda sputters, it means ur running too rich. Try adjusting the AJC (the one with three big ass vaccum lines A B C attached to it) also adjust the idle stop screw on the carb and the plastic idle screw on the back of the carb near the firewall.

IS ur throttle cable tight enough??:wave: