PDA

View Full Version : throttle body cleaner

89accordlxi
06-04-2002, 07:03 PM
Can anybody tell me where I can buy some throttle body cleaner? Is there even such a thing, I guess I should have asked that first.

Thanks y'all

Peace out.

AccordChemist
06-04-2002, 07:10 PM
auto parts store :gay:

Chrome_thangs
06-04-2002, 07:12 PM
Ya man,
go to the dealer and ask for the BG44k cleaning. It's a three step cleaning that they have to do at the dealer because of the special tools or whatever they use. It's a bit expensive but it's worth it. I'm going to get it done soon!!

ACCORD EX
06-05-2002, 04:39 AM
isn't teh throttle body cleaner a carb cleaner ! ??

if it is so you can get one from anyauto shop for cheap ( a spray can ! :) )

MIKE

89accordlxi
06-05-2002, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the your responses people. Is there any particular brand or anything I should look for in particular?

ACCORD EX, I think it is similar to carb cleaner but is made specifically for efi throttle bodies, but I'm not sure though. I guess i'll find out when I go to the auto parts store.

Chrome_thangs, I will look into the BG44k cleaning, but if it is too expensive, I will try the spray cleaner first and see how that works.

Thanks y'all

Peace out!!

89LXi
06-05-2002, 05:41 AM
Try AMSOIL's Power Foam and do it yourself less than $10. I've used it several times on my '89 LXi and it does a great job of cleaning out carbon and other deposits in the upper air intake system.

89accordlxi
06-07-2002, 05:58 AM
Well I went to the store and bought some throttle body cleaner. The inside of the throttle body was a mess. the cleaner did a good job of cleaning the valve and the inside of the throttle body.

One problem though. Ever since cleaning the TB, my engine hasn't been idling correctly.

Does it have anything to do with all the junk that was in the TB?
Where does all that junk go anyway?

I wrote a new thread titled "fluctuating tach" that explains the problem.

Some say that my TB is bad, Did the cleaner damage it somehow or what??

Maybe all that junk is clogging up something. What parts would be affected by cleaning the TB??:confused:

Need a second opinion on what can be wrong.

thanks y'all

peace out!!

A20A1
06-07-2002, 08:51 PM
I think the carb cleaner may damage efi sensors or something...
but they do make carb/tb cleaner.

Maybe you just sprayed too much???
The junk hopefully get mixed in with the exhaust stream and exits the car out the tail pipe... unless it sticks to the Cat first???

smufguy
06-08-2002, 08:50 AM
Go to walmart, they got carb cleaners/choke cleaners. Pep boys would be your best bet cause they got all the shit u want there. carb cleaner does not do u any good, trust me i have done it. throttle body cleaners do work good, u will notice a lot of diffefence once u clean ur throttle body. but the main thing u wanna clean up, is our whole engine, cause shit i had the manifold out and damn those carbon deposits. my valve pistons and pushrods looks like someone pooped on that and it just dried there. gosh those carbon buildups.