PDA

View Full Version : engine rebuild tips?

3G Jester
05-19-2003, 08:41 PM
Has anyone done an a20a1 rebuild?

I used the search and nothing of use came up. its warm....my 3g is off the road and i jsut wanna make her new again. Any body done it?

seals,valves, tips, hints, tricks, problems? anything?

3G Jester
05-20-2003, 09:25 PM
...you guys suck... :(

joker2
05-21-2003, 12:12 PM
No need to get testy now.....:D Well, first off I wouldn't worry about your valves and springs to much but I would look into getting the block honed and the head a regrind for the valves..... Because if you're going to open the engine up to just replace gaskets you might as well spend a little extra for the block and head work....... Why you're at it you might as well invest in a new cam as well......

3G Jester
05-21-2003, 08:36 PM
how much for all this? :/

i know about 100 for the cam regrind....30 bucks for main gasket...probly 50 bucks for all thegaskets...

AccordEpicenter
05-21-2003, 10:21 PM
It depends, if youre going for a true rebuild, Id check the specs on EVERY part, like valves, rockers, cam, valve seats/guides, rebore the cylinders .20 or .30 over and get oversize pistons and rings, check the oil pump clearances, check rod and crank bearings etc, change all the seals, like front and rear main seals, all the o rings, replace the cam seal too, and water pump and timing belt. Also new gaskets for everything. If i were you and wanted to do it cheap, id get another engine from a junkyard, do the pistons and rings, and check the bottom bearings, and make sure the head is fresh (100k miles or newer) and use that combo. The head and stuff doesnt seem to wear out like the the piston rings/cylinder walls, but the bottom end bearings are usually fine, so i think the piston rings and oversize pistons and all those seals would be the most cost effective solution

3G Jester
05-22-2003, 04:47 AM
mmmm thank you