PDA

View Full Version : Custom Z3 Vented Hood Project

Project-LXi
05-20-2003, 05:23 PM
Well, after being a pipe dream for so long, I am finally getting my custom hood done. I ordered a pair of Z3 Fenders, and I am having them grafted into the hood as functional air vents (one is located directly above the cone filter for my intake.) The total cost is going to be about $460: $150 = Hood from junkyard, $60 = Z3 Inserts incl shipping, $250 = Paint and body work.

I am having the work done by a co-worker who works in our body shop (I work for an RV dealership), who is using it after hours to work on the hood. He also owns a 3rd gen accord, and is just starting to trick it out, so naturally I refered him here :)

Anyway, the inserts are located 1" || to the lip on the hood (on the inside surface) and 3/4" down from where the windshield sprayer thingies are. The cuts have been made and the inserts are in, they just need epoxy and bondo, then paint which should be happening as I write this. Hopefully it will all be ready by tommorow or Thurs. And yes, I am going to post pics of the whole thing! As well as the first pics of my car (FINALLY!)

I know some of you will undoubtably think this mod is rice but oh well, Ive already seen the 1/2 completed results and I think it looks great, and thats really all that matters to me. :super:

ghost_ny
05-20-2003, 05:36 PM
i was thinking of doing that too. as for rice, if it has a function its cool, who cares if people think its rice

87lxi accord
05-20-2003, 06:19 PM
sounds interesting, definatly post pics when complete

iloveJDMblackrims69
05-20-2003, 06:52 PM
dang.......sounds pretty cool........not rice at all........you get more air in your bay!

Blue Impact
05-20-2003, 10:39 PM
Everyone has their own definition for "rice" so who cares what people say, man. Just do whatever suits you; plus, it's your car, not theirs. Anyways, I think what you're about to do is cool. Let's see what it's like when finished. Good luck.

HostileJava
05-21-2003, 06:43 AM
I don't think it's rice, but I do think there is nothing wrong with making your car look unique without modifying it for performance.

whatdahieu
05-21-2003, 08:31 AM
letting it breath more freely is not rice i do not think if it serves a purpose great. If it does not then that is a problem

HostileJava
05-21-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by whatdahieu
letting it breath more freely is not rice i do not think if it serves a purpose great. If it does not then that is a problem

What is the a problem, If he like's it and it looks good, who cares if it's not funtional?

i.c.
05-21-2003, 12:07 PM
sounds cool...(i think whatdahieu means is something like those roof scoops that is just a look peice, if i can find a pic of one, you know, the ones that aren't functional)

Chubs87Accord
05-21-2003, 07:53 PM
cant wait for the pics.. sounds pretty nice dude

Project-LXi
06-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Well... Its done, I just havnt taken any pics yet. Ive been away from the computer the last week. Will post some soon.

A Dawg Jr
06-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Nice, sounds awesome

And I see nothing wrong with decking a car out to look cool Especially one of ours, if there isn't a whole lot you can do to boost hp with out lots of $$$$, why the hell not make it look cool? Rice or not, I see no problem, it's all about your taste. I think this sounds awesome!!

HostileJava
06-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!

3G Jester
06-04-2003, 06:31 AM
i think hood scoops look pretty...but if it doesnt serve a function my eye starts to tiwtch. i think if your gonna glue something like that on...make it work damnit. get a short ram and throw the scoop on. Even if you have a CAI and the HS doesnt really affect the air induction.....it would still cool off the engine allowing you to reach the maximum efficency.